Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone, so I have this friend who have known pretty much all my life and she truely was someone I could always confide in. Then a year ago her and her dad had a huge bust up and she and I decided to get a flat together. BIG MISTAKE

It was all great at first but after a while, i started noticing all these things that irritate me and now they are just pecking away at me. I am starting to resent her which makes me feel even worse.

I mean, she says things that she knows are really dismissive or just hurtful, and its not even in a jokey way its with a serious face. She has pretty much called me boring and repetitve to my face, she has called me fat and a nothing. sometimes you will be talking in a normal conversation and half way through she says things like 'yeah I dont give a crap' in mid speech which makes me feel like ****. I talked to her about all this but she said she didnt know she was doing and she doesnt mean anything by it, but nothings changed she is still doing it and even worse she does all this in front of our mutual friends ....

I really have no idea what to do? ...am I just being dramatic? what would you do in this situation. Please help I cant talk to anyone else without rocking the boat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodlesnack)
    hey everyone, so I have this friend who have known pretty much all my life and she truely was someone I could always confide in. Then a year ago her and her dad had a huge bust up and she and I decided to get a flat together. BIG MISTAKE

It was all great at first but after a while, i started noticing all these things that irritate me and now they are just pecking away at me. I am starting to resent her which makes me feel even worse.

I mean, she says things that she knows are really dismissive or just hurtful, and its not even in a jokey way its with a serious face. She has pretty much called me boring and repetitve to my face, she has called me fat and a nothing. sometimes you will be talking in a normal conversation and half way through she says things like 'yeah I dont give a crap' in mid speech which makes me feel like ****. I talked to her about all this but she said she didnt know she was doing and she doesnt mean anything by it, but nothings changed she is still doing it and even worse she does all this in front of our mutual friends ....

I really have no idea what to do? ...am I just being dramatic? what would you do in this situation. Please help I cant talk to anyone else without rocking the boat.
    I would dropkick her in her serious face. Serious.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me that she may be one of those people that seems to think that banter sometimes can step over the line with someone (intentionally or unintentionally) and make someone feel bad.

She may not mean anything by it at all, but if it is getting to you then it is going to be harder and harder for you to live with her.

One last try i think saying that this is the final straw for you continuing to live there, as you are getting so stressed out about it, try not to make her seem like she is a horrible person she did say she dosent know she is doing it. Be reasonable about it, and hopefully she will be back aswell.

ReputationRep:
    She may not mean anything by it at all, but if it is getting to you then it is going to be harder and harder for you to live with her.

yeah ..I guess so but it really is hard to be nice when someone is being an *******

ha ha ...trust me I really really want to sometimes, but she has depression issues and I dont wanna her to spiral again. But yeah...I totally have drop kicked her in my head a million times.

thanks for the replies guys, its really appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodlesnack)

yeah ..I guess so but it really is hard to be nice when someone is being an *******

ha ha ...trust me I really really want to sometimes, but she has depression issues and I dont wanna her to spiral again. But yeah...I totally have drop kicked her in my head a million times.

thanks for the replies guys, its really appreciated

I think you need to seriously speak to her. You've already said that she's got issues of her own so maybe you should be there for her and put her needs first, at least until she's on her feet..she is your friend after all. At the same time, you can't keep waiting around for her to change, its not fair on you.Maybe you should move out and see what happens..friends come and go in life..if you mean that much to her, she'll stick around..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.