The Student Room Group

Best uni for Fashion Design BA

I am going onto a foudation course at Loughborough School of Art and design, but then hope to go onto a fashion design degree course. Ive researched around, and im trying to find which ones are the best. ive herd of a few like, lcf? rochester? manchester met?

so if you know the courses? or been/have been on the the fashion course, if u could let me know which u think are the best. and anything else you know about them, eg competition to get in, entry requirment, the uni in general. would be great! thanks :smile:
Reply 1
sucky112
I am going onto a foudation course at Loughborough School of Art and design, but then hope to go onto a fashion design degree course. Ive researched around, and im trying to find which ones are the best. ive herd of a few like, lcf? rochester? manchester met?

so if you know the courses? or been/have been on the the fashion course, if u could let me know which u think are the best. and anything else you know about them, eg competition to get in, entry requirment, the uni in general. would be great! thanks :smile:

Undoubtably, the most famous, both nationally and internationally, would probably be the undergraduate fashion course at Central Saint Martins, having produced some of the most influential names in the past few decades (Gareth Pugh, John Galliano, Hussein Chalayan and Stella McCartney, to name only a few). The student intake for this particular course, according to the prospectus, is 187 from 1,114 applicants. These 187 students are divided into separate pathways of about 20 to 50.

You can view the recent showcase from this college and course here:

http://www.showstudio.com/blog/34952
http://dazeddigital.com/Fashion/article/3418/1/Central_Saint_Martins_BA_2009
http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/daily/090603-central-saint-martins-ba-fashion-sh.aspx
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-pictures/Central+St+Martins+Fashion+Show-latest.do?id=23370297&page=1

The other colleges and universities worth looking into are the London College of Fashion (again expectantly known nationally and internationally), University of Westminster, Cleveland College of Art and Design, Edinburgh School of Art, Kingston University, Manchester Met University, Northumbria University and Ravensbourne College of Design and Communication.

I've also requested for your thread to be moved to Creative Arts, where you will likely receive more relevant responses.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 2

I would say (in no particular order. All these unis have a high rep and what's dependant is how you want to study your degree)

Westminster
Csm
Nottingham trent
Ravensbourne
Epsom
De montford
Brighton
Kingston

The reason why I haven't mentioned LCF is because I know several people who've graduated recently and have been less than satisfied. They are currently running on an old reputation and I have heard mentioned about poor equiptment, very little contact time and very bad promotion of graduates

Go onto www.catwalking.com and go on the graduate fashion week pages and you can see the kind of work coming out of unis. Also check alumni and work placement opps

I'm about to go into my placement year at westminster so I'll tell you what I know

-top 5 universities for arts research
-lots of contact time. Through a project we will see a tutor one on one about twice a week in 2nd year on a major project
-excellent alumni. Christopher bailey, stuart vevers, katie hillier, current head of aquascutum, cassetteplaya
-teaching staff are excellent. Most well respected positions in industry
-small year groups. You're taken on your portfolio- not whether or not you're an international student!
- we get taught everything for industry. From using final cut pro (and illustrator and photoshop) to how to write a buisiness plan. Very important for graduates
-excellent placement opps
-first module involves learning how to use the industrials and how to pattern cut (you'd be shocked how many people leave fashion degrees not knowing how to sew)

Obv. I'm biased as a student there. But it is an excellent course, definitly worth looking at. As will ravensbourne be (my foundation!) As it will be moving next to the 02 very soon!! Lovely building.

But generally. My advice is go somewhere with good teaching for BA then either CSM or RCA for MA
Reply 3
lazza
The reason why I haven't mentioned LCF is because I know several people who've graduated recently and have been less than satisfied. They are currently running on an old reputation and I have heard mentioned about poor equiptment, very little contact time and very bad promotion of graduates

Curiously, which courses were these people on? LCF does offer many, which all vary. Also, from my own experience, the graduate showcase(s) tend to be good. This one, assisted by Moving Brands, for example:

Reply 4
Original post by lazza

Original post by lazza
I would say (in no particular order. All these unis have a high rep and what's dependant is how you want to study your degree)

Westminster
Csm
Nottingham trent
Ravensbourne
Epsom
De montford
Brighton
Kingston

Go onto www.catwalking.com and go on the graduate fashion week pages and you can see the kind of work coming out of unis. Also check alumni and work placement opps

I'm about to go into my placement year at westminster so I'll tell you what I know

-top 5 universities for arts research
-lots of contact time. Through a project we will see a tutor one on one about twice a week in 2nd year on a major project
-excellent alumni. Christopher bailey, stuart vevers, katie hillier, current head of aquascutum, cassetteplaya
-teaching staff are excellent. Most well respected positions in industry
-small year groups. You're taken on your portfolio- not whether or not you're an international student!
- we get taught everything for industry. From using final cut pro (and illustrator and photoshop) to how to write a buisiness plan. Very important for graduates
-excellent placement opps
-first module involves learning how to use the industrials and how to pattern cut (you'd be shocked how many people leave fashion degrees not knowing how to sew)

Obv. I'm biased as a student there. But it is an excellent course, definitly worth looking at. As will ravensbourne be (my foundation!) As it will be moving next to the 02 very soon!! Lovely building.

But generally. My advice is go somewhere with good teaching for BA then either CSM or RCA for MA

Lazza is it necessary to have very good tailoring skills in the first year of studies at westminster??
Reply 5
i can't study a foundation course in england . im from romania ... i take arts coaching ,because i didn't study any arts/design courses in high school . is that foundation course obligatory ? and do they give you a stundent loan if i study a foundation year there ? i don't afford it without it ....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
I've read somewhere that CSM has a great MA Fashion programme but BA is not that good at all. Do you think that's true? I'm confused...

Quick Reply

Latest