Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is the 10% student discount universal or offered in most shops only? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    it seems like almost every shop or store will offer a 10% discount if you have some proof you're a student.

my question is, does it just so happen that most stores offer a 10% student discount to attract more students, or do categorically ALL shops offer a 10% discount to students (cause they're obliged by law to do so or whatever)?

my main reason for asking is to avoid walking into some covent carden shop or whatever and getting laughed at when i flash my NUS card and ask if get a 10% discount ha :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Its just selected shops and there is no shame what so ever in asking if they offer a student discount.

ReputationRep:
    They expect students to be frugal so I don't care about asking for a discount, although it's probably not in all shops

ReputationRep:
    It isn't compulsory at all - places like Primark and H&M don't have a discount... and many smaller businesses won't do it either. It's just offered by the majority of major chain stores

ReputationRep:
    Its not a legal requirement at all! Totally discretionary. You'll find its mainly high street brands that offer it.

ReputationRep:
    cheers for the help guys !

ReputationRep:
    Not that many shops offer it in reality. Topshop, HMV, Schuh and McDonalds are the only places I think I've used my card.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Student_discounts

Edit - I also got a 10% reduction off some £200 glasses from Boots. That was brilliant! So, always ask.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.