Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Just want some advise, please. If I convert from part time to full time student, I understand I can apply for Student finance. However based on my calculations, the money I will be getting as a full time student would mean that I would be struggling financially, especially since I will still have financial commitments that I have to meet that I have before I become full-time. My rent is £650 per month (London) and this is the main problem. Is there any other help out there for mature students? (moving house is not an option!)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neelam1982)
    Hi all,

Just want some advise, please. If I convert from part time to full time student, I understand I can apply for Student finance. However based on my calculations, the money I will be getting as a full time student would mean that I would be struggling financially, especially since I will still have financial commitments that I have to meet that I have before I become full-time. My rent is £650 per month (London) and this is the main problem. Is there any other help out there for mature students? (moving house is not an option!)

Thanks
    The maximum London-rate student loan for 2009/10 is £6,928 - is this the figure you've seen? Part of this can take the form of a grant rather than a loan depending on you income. You can also get extra financial support if you have dependants - there's more detail about this here.

Beyond this, it would be worth checking whether your university has any extra support schemes of its own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neelam1982)
    Hi all,

Thanks
    You could move to cheaper accommodation?..so you have more money?..maybe a flat-share?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    You could move to cheaper accommodation?..so you have more money?..maybe a flat-share?
    I would have suggested that, but the OP specifically said that he wasn't able to. If there's any chance at all though, it's certainly worth looking in to.

ReputationRep:
    job?

ReputationRep:
    The university usually has a hardship fund for students in financial difficulties. I recommend getting in touch with your Advice Centre at the Student's Union. It is usually only open at certain times of the year, but my University also has a summer fund. Also, make sure that you have given your consent for the financial information to be shared with your University. This will allow them to assess you for additional financial aid - such as bursaries or scholarships. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone who has advised me here. Looking for another place to live is not really an option - I have commitments and a family, whom I cannot move into a flatshare! Unfortunatly, I am not 18/19 anymore and do not have the liberty to get up and leave to move into a flatshare or anywhere for that matter! Getting a job, as well as juggling family and study commitments as a full time student is not an option. Again, I am not an 18 year old who doesn't have commitments (apart from studying commitments) and who is at liberty of living the student life on campus. Thank you for the advise, anyhow and I will certainly contact the relevent department in the University for financial advise. Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.