Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I intend to reapply to medicine next year, depending on my grades of course. However, I haven't done any extra activities over the holidays at all. I've just had to cancel a 2 week placement volunteering in Ghana which I was supposed to start next week.

My problem is that I now won't be able to go until september/october time earliest, so I won't really have anything new to put on my personal statement this time around. Is this going to be a problem?

ReputationRep:
    Well Terp would probably tell you to follow others' leads and lie :p: You could try and organise a placement now for sometime in the following months, and put on your statement that it is organised and you'll be undertaking a placement. Problem is with it, you haven't had any experience to 'learn' from, as it were. If you can try and get a volunteer position in a hospital or old people's home now so you do have some exposure before applying, that would probably strengthen your app

ReputationRep:
    Work on your personal statement. Maybe you already have done sufficient work experience you just need to work on how you explain it in your personal statement.

Also start looking for a job in care. I was in your position last year and managed to get myself a job in a care home for adults with challenging behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phryx)
    Work on your personal statement. Maybe you already have done sufficient work experience you just need to work on how you explain it in your personal statement.

Also start looking for a job in care. I was in your position last year and managed to get myself a job in a care home for adults with challenging behaviour.
    This is what I was thinking. I also intend to reapply but currently haven't done anything new (hopefully will get a job though) but I've now been volunteering for a lot longer and so when it comes down to my personal statement I may be able to talk more about my experiences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trektor)
    This is what I was thinking. I also intend to reapply but currently haven't done anything new (hopefully will get a job though) but I've now been volunteering for a lot longer and so when it comes down to my personal statement I may be able to talk more about my experiences.
    It's not how much you've done or what you've done that really matters, it's what you've learnt from it and how you reflect on it in your PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saab_101)
    I intend to reapply to medicine next year, depending on my grades of course. However, I haven't done any extra activities over the holidays at all. I've just had to cancel a 2 week placement volunteering in Ghana which I was supposed to start next week.

My problem is that I now won't be able to go until september/october time earliest, so I won't really have anything new to put on my personal statement this time around. Is this going to be a problem?
    Have you asked for (and got!) feedback on your previous application? This should be very useful in telling you what you need to work on for this year ... might be a lack of work experience (or more likely what you said about it in your personal statement/interviews) or might not.

ReputationRep:
    Mention in your PS that you are going to do X and plan to learn skills of Y and Z. Someone else wrote that on this site; can't remember who.

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT write what you are going to do, because you have not done it and its not 100% u will do it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.