Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Before you all shout flat battery, some info;

I havent started it for 2 weeks, granted that it rained alot and it could be the battery but I just want to be sure.
    Theres no coolant and the coolant light goes on when I drive, could this be the problem? Well when I try to start it, all lights go off except for the abs, battery and oil which I think is normal? and the car does try doing something, makes some sort of noise ... I wouldnt really suspect the battery given that the bmw battery is very big and the air con turns on when i try starting it but im none the wiser ...

go! thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump or jump start it, and drive around for a bit, but put some coolant in first! If it is the battery, then driving it around for an hour or so, will charge it

ReputationRep:
    what model M3 is it for a kick off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Pieb)
    Bump or jump start it, and drive around for a bit, but put some coolant in first! If it is the battery, then driving it around for an hour or so, will charge it
    Might as well I suppose regarding the coolant, I just keep topping it water :o: cant be bothered getting coolant
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    what model M3 is it for a kick off?
    its the e36

cheers

ReputationRep:
    does the engine turn over? if yes, does it run fast as it normally would or slow and sluggish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    does the engine turn over? if yes, does it run fast as it normally would or slow and sluggish?
    It doesn't turn over at all, just this constant dum dum dum dum sound when I try to turn it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sver)
    It doesn't turn over at all, just this constant dum dum dum dum sound when I try to turn it
    Firstly make sure its got enough coolant in it, and try and find out where the leak is. Also keep an eye on the oil level, make sure its not excessively high.

You should then charge the battery up with a charger which takes about 8 hours or if your in a hurry jump start it using the correct procedure.

If it doesnt start after that you will need to make sure the HT leads and distributor cap are dry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sver)

That noise you are hearing is the starter solanoid firing.
    The starter engages but the battery hasn't got the cahones to spin the engine over.

Charge it up.

oh... and get some coolant in it. Its there for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    The ABS light shouldn't be on, either, but I doubt that's the problem. Unless by "ABS" you mean the handbrake.

ReputationRep:
    M3 won't start?

I'll give you 0.1k for it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    The ABS light shouldn't be on, either, but I doubt that's the problem. Unless by "ABS" you mean the handbrake.
    Yes it should be on.
    They only go out once the system has tested itself and there is vacuum in the system. There wont be vacuum untill the engine has started.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Yes it should be on.
    They only go out once the system has tested itself and there is vacuum in the system. There wont be vacuum untill the engine has started.
    I thought the ABS light was for the sensors, not brake liquids. It doesn't stay on in the Focus that I drive. You might still be right, though.. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    I thought the ABS light was for the sensors, not brake liquids. It doesn't stay on in the Focus that I drive. You might still be right, though.. :dontknow:
    Well... the ABS light doesnt go off in my Jag until the engine has started and the car has moved a few feet.
    That said, my car was designed in the 80's so ABS was very new then.

ReputationRep:
    Right Cheers for all the contributions guys, especially JC and LaraC will give it a charge over the night and update tomorrow.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.