All uni's that don't rank in the Top 50 should not exist. watch

ReputationRep:
    Make it Top 1 and you're golden.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    Exactly this too. :yy:

Everyone just has a different place in life. :hat2: I don't understand why the government are pushing for ~60% of the population to go to uni, and then complain about the subsequent lack of graduate jobs.
    They're also complaining about the lack of funding.

Warwick University is currently conducting some very interesting research which focuses on higher education and the benefits to students who have degrees. They're looking at the sort of subjects studied, the field entered, the class of degree, and also the knock-on effect with so many people wanting to go into higher education (or being pushed into higher education). Once the full piece is finally finished and published, it should make for some very interesting reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    Yes, but why on earth would you want to discriminate against the intelligent poor?
    That's what i'm asking you, you were the one who agreed with him.

ReputationRep:
    OP sounds like one of those snobby posh kids from down south, don't worry son, mummy and daddy have everything covered for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    OP sounds like one of those snobby posh kids from down south, don't worry son, mummy and daddy have everything covered for you.
    Why don't you give reasons for disagreeing instead of throwing around immature insults?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    I agree there are far too many university places. It's horrific seeing all these C, D, E and U students go to uni
    U students in uni?!?!?!

And plus, isn't there an F and G offered at A level? But yes I agree to an extent, E grade students or lower should really not be offered a place in uni, but C is quite harsh, they would still manage a 2:2, and D students would manage a third degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    They're also complaining about the lack of funding.

Warwick University is currently conducting some very interesting research which focuses on higher education and the benefits to students who have degrees. They're looking at the sort of subjects studied, the field entered, the class of degree, and also the knock-on effect with so many people wanting to go into higher education (or being pushed into higher education). Once the full piece is finally finished and published, it should make for some very interesting reading.

Can anyone see the irony in that?

ReputationRep:
    So you only want 50 unis for quite a large number of students. But then when you have 50 everyone will want to be in the top 20...

ReputationRep:
    saying someone with C's in A levels can't go to uni isnt that a bit harsh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshphillips999)
    U students in uni?!?!?!

And plus, isn't there an F and G offered at A level? But yes I agree to an extent, E grade students or lower should really not be offered a place in uni, but C is quite harsh, they would still manage a 2:2, and D students would manage a third degree.
    Nope. I think it's ABCDEU.

ReputationRep:
    yeh i supose i will listen to a newspaper. maybe the news of the world should do one aswell. idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewis132)
    That's what i'm asking you, you were the one who agreed with him.
    Agreed with who? :dontknow:

I'm not at all for the let's raise tuition fees to £10,000 a year shizzle. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshphillips999)
    U students in uni?!?!?!

It doesn't quite work like that; we don't go through life performing at and only at our preset level of ability. If you'd have said "would be likely to", I could probably agree with you.

I agree with the general principle that the jump for a U-grade student would probably be far too large, without extenuating circumstances, for them to do well though.

ReputationRep:
    I sort of agree with the OP. I'd suspect some employers don't bother distinguishing between degrees of identical subject from two vastly different universities (red-bricks and ex-polys for example). This therefore devalues the degree of the people who have worked harder to be admitted into better universities, which isn't fair. The more intelligent may not be taking up the top jobs which is a bit regressive for the country's calibre of workforce. The people studying academic (not vocational) degrees at ex-polys are there because they can't get into better universities and therefore aren't suited to further study. These kind of people should not be encouraged to pursue further academic education but should be encouraged to support different areas of the country's workforce.

There are subjects which are only taught at ex-poly universities due to their vocational nature, but if I wanted to pursue a career in graphic design or computer animation, I would be perfectly happy to receive a qualification from an art college for example rather than a university. Different kinds of education don't need to be mixed and everyone shouldn't be encouraged to strive for the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    sounds like the OP's head is ready to burst

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrinnyUnlimited)
    Top 50? Why stop there? Make it top 10!
    your getting there but not quite. I say convert all of oxford and cambridge into nothing but a university and rename them red team and blue team! lol

im not going to a top uni but based mine on the degree itself. prob could have got into one in top 50 but no point if they dont have the course i want.

ReputationRep:
    Amen to that brother!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Nope. I think it's ABCDEU.
    Oh yeah it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Why don't you give reasons for disagreeing instead of throwing around immature insults?
    because its an immature thread from the OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)
    saying someone with C's in A levels can't go to uni isnt that a bit harsh?

Yup I agree there, I got CDE at A level and now I am doing medicine, :awesome:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.