Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

All uni's that don't rank in the Top 50 should not exist. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    It doesn't quite work like that; we don't go through life performing at and only at our preset level of ability. If you'd have said "would be likely to", I could probably agree with you.

I agree with the general principle that the jump for a U-grade student would probably be far too large, without extenuating circumstances, for them to do well though.
    Replace any "would" with "may" or "would be likely to", or even "could". I think I meant to write "could" in the first place actually...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Havers)
    because its an immature thread from the OP
    Not overly. I mean, he's given reasons. He has, however, written it an a slightly immature way which I assume was to generate debate.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    There are just too many flaws with the OP's argument. I can't tell if he's being the devil's advocate here or whether he's actually serious But with 4 pages in the thread already I'm sure I can't say much that hasn't already been said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammyP)
    Yup I agree there, I got CDE at A level and now I am doing medicine, :awesome:
    When on earth did I say this?

Debate sensibly please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    There are just too many flaws with the OP's argument. I can't tell if he's being the devil's advocate here or whether he's actually serious But with 4 pages in the thread already I'm sure I can't say much that hasn't already been said.
    I'd love to hear of these flaws.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshphillips999)
    U students in uni?!?!?!

And plus, isn't there an F and G offered at A level? But yes I agree to an extent, E grade students or lower should really not be offered a place in uni, but C is quite harsh, they would still manage a 2:2, and D students would manage a third degree.
    Well technically you can fail one of your 3 A-levels and still get into some universities, that was my original point. Regarding C's and D's - I personally don't think that standard is high enough for academia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Why don't you give reasons for disagreeing instead of throwing around immature insults?
    So this kid gets AAA's and he now thinks that he's superiour to let's say BBB students? Furthermore he wants to limit the universities in the UK to 50? Giving only the top achievers a chance to go? This isn't the middle ages, we've moved on, everyone has a chance to go and that's the way it should be.

ReputationRep:
    well..... basically all that would happen is this:
    Year 1 of scheme: Only 50 Institutions will be universities, the rest wil be colleges and not be comparable.
    Year 2: Nothing.... because we only have 50 Universities..... so nthing needs to be done.

Stupid idea, OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Well technically you can fail one of your 3 A-levels and still get into some universities, that was my original point. Regarding C's and D's - I personally don't think that standard is high enough for academia
    I didn't actually discount people with C/D grades at A-Level from being possible students of this 'Top 50 uni' proposal. If the uni sees enough merit in them, be it at interview/potential etc, then I'm all for them being accepted. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    So this kid gets AAA's and he now thinks that he's superiour to let's say BBB students? Furthermore he wants to limit the universities in the UK to 50? Giving only the top achievers a chance to go? This isn't the middle ages, we've moved on, everyone has a chance to go and that's the way it should be.
    It's not about being "superior". It's about being different. Not everyone is equally smart. If people are clearly not suited to academia, they may be better off doing vocational qualifications.

The OP, however, phrased his post quite arrogantly ("clever clogs" etc) which I can only assume was to try to get people debating lol.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I love that most people haven't clicked on to the fact that ADREAM trolls for fun :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammyP)
    Yup I agree there, I got CDE at A level and now I am doing medicine, :awesome:
    :awesome: shows you shouldn't let anything stop you from your dreams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    I didn't actually discount people with C/D grades at A-Level from being possible students of this 'Top 50 uni' proposal. If the uni sees enough merit in them, be it at interview/potential etc, then I'm all for them being accepted. :yes:
    Well indeed, A-levels just happen to exist as an easy benchmark to cite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomcuk123)
    well..... basically all that would happen is this:
    Year 1 of scheme: Only 50 Institutions will be universities, the rest wil be colleges and not be comparable.
    Year 2: Nothing.... because we only have 50 Universities..... so nthing needs to be done.

Stupid idea, OP.
    Care to digress a little further?

Exactly, nothing needs to be done. But the bar would continously be set so high because of a massive increase in applicantlace ratio with only the best of the best securing offers. It would fuel healthy competition in schools/colleges, with students working their asses off to get to uni. It would mean that all uni graduates would be able to find enough graduate jobs; all diploma/equ. graduates would be able to find enough vocational jobs. It would enable funds to be directed to lowering tuition/uni living cost fees and rapidly increase research funds and subsequently quality.

A pretty picture, I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    At the end of the day it's the decision of the individual person as to what Uni they go to, and potential employers will know how acclaimed degrees are from different Universities.
    At the end of the day I don't want my hard earned money wasted on subsidizing a crap degree for someone who will probably not find a job anyway (and then will sit at home on benefits funded by me).

ReputationRep:
    So there should be only 50 uni's? Umm NO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Yes because league tablets are such an impartial and reliable way of deciding what courses and universities are best in the country. Just look at the differences between the Times and Guardian league tables for instance, some of the differences are simply bizarre.
    How about the govt conduct a review and find out the universities which aren't worth the huge investment considering factors such as graduate prospects and peer review by academics. This way we aren't using generic league tables. I would then stop funding to the bottom 10-20% of unis, letting them stay open as private universities (you are free to go and study mickey mouse degrees, but you'll have to pay for it yourself or take out a private loan to fund it). Anyone agree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roberto_Ferrari)
    How about the govt conduct a review and find out the universities which aren't worth the huge investment considering factors such as graduate prospects and peer review by academics. This way we aren't using generic league tables. I would then stop funding to the bottom 10-20% of unis, letting them stay open as private universities (you are free to go and study mickey mouse degrees, but you'll have to pay for it yourself or take out a private loan to fund it). Anyone agree?
    I think it sounds like a decent idea. I see no real point in us subsidising "mickey mouse" degrees when the person would be better off doing apprenticeships etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    Giving only the top achievers a chance to go? This isn't the middle ages, we've moved on, everyone has a chance to go and that's the way it should be.
    Everybody should have a chance to everything? Rubbish, what if I wanted to go to dance school with two left feet?

Face it, requirements are there for a reason. If you aren't capable of making those requirements, then too bad - look for something more suited to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura_f_1990)
    So there should be only 50 uni's? Umm NO
    Care to explain?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.