Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

All uni's that don't rank in the Top 50 should not exist. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    and what is a mickeymouse subject, and if they are so easy will you be able to write a 10,000 - 15,000 dissertation on the matter
    and maybe just maybe some want to go work into TV or film, where some of these degree are called mickey mouse subjects
    Well by mickeymouse, I basically mean one which you'd be better off doing apprenticeship/something more vocational. I don't mean mickeymouse in this context as in "worse", just something that I don't think there needs to be a degree in.

Certainly, if there are degrees which help you get into TV etc, then they aren't mickey mouse, as they serve a purpose. However, if such degrees didn't really offer much help, and people would be better off getting experience in certain companies rather than a degree, then I don't see how they are necessary.

(I dislike using the word mickey mouse, but it seems fairly recognise/accepted in this context)

ReputationRep:
    Lol.

TSR at its finest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Everybody should have a chance to everything? Rubbish, what if I wanted to go to dance school with two left feet?

Face it, requirements are there for a reason. If you aren't capable of making those requirements, then too bad - look for something more suited to you.
    That's why there are universities with lower requirements, and everyone should have a chance to everything, don't be selfish idiot.

ReputationRep:
    This is all I've heard since I started uni. I missed getting into a "Top 50" university by a few ucas points, but since I didn't want to re-sit my A levels for the sake of The Times' opinion on a greater establishment, I decided to make the best of my course here. I'm bloody glad I did, because I enjoy my course, I find it challenging, my lecturers are very helpful and address all of my concerns, I've made some great friends and I've saved a lot of money!

Oh and "All uni's that don't rank in the Top 50" needs a grammar-check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    That's why there are universities with lower requirements, and everyone should have a chance to everything, don't be selfish idiot.
    But we subsidise university courses. Would you subsidise me to go to a football academy if I was rubbish at football and had no chance of being a successful footballer?

ReputationRep:
    How many 'universities' are there in this country out of interest? I do agree with someone's point made earlier saying that it is horrific to see D, E, U students going to uni. This person also said C grades - but that is a more grey area in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    But we subsidise university courses. Would you subsidise me to go to a football academy if I was rubbish at football and had no chance of being a successful footballer?
    Boxing, perhaps.

That way, at least I could pay for you to get punched in the face lots. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kates:))
    How many 'universities' are there in this country out of interest? I do agree with someone's point made earlier saying that it is horrific to see D, E, U students going to uni. This person also said C grades - but that is a more grey area in my opinion.
    Just because you put "universities" in quotation marks doesn't change the fact that they are actually universities.

In answer to your question, I believe about 126? I'm not sure though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    Someone has a chip on their shoulder. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'll be back later on to eat away at the rebels on this thread. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Well by mickeymouse, I basically mean one which you'd be better off doing apprenticeship/something more vocational. I don't mean mickeymouse in this context as in "worse", just something that I don't think there needs to be a degree in.

Certainly, if there are degrees which help you get into TV etc, then they aren't mickey mouse, as they serve a purpose. However, if such degrees didn't really offer much help, and people would be better off getting experience in certain companies rather than a degree, then I don't see how they are necessary.

(I dislike using the word mickey mouse, but it seems fairly recognise/accepted in this context)
    maybe, i would agree, for some people a apprenticeship or a vocational route maybe better, not everyone is built for a academic route
    but them a degree will not = a job, so all could be class
    not all vocational ;are mickey mouse degree, medicine is very vocational :p:
    i don't how the term mickey mouse degree is thrown around but people, its like ok so your find it easy if you was to do it, like the whole exams are getting easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Boxing, perhaps.

That way, at least I could pay for you to get punched in the face lots. :yep:
    In what way do you disagree with what I've said?

What is the point of people going to university if they would be better served by apprenticeships/vocational courses?

ReputationRep:
    Just because you put "universities" in quotation marks doesn't change the fact that they are actually universities.

In answer to your question, I believe about 126? I'm not sure though.
    Crikey, did I touch a nerve? The only reason I put universities in quotation marks is because of the general tone in this thread that quite a lot of universities are dubiously called so, that is all.

ReputationRep:
    In what way do you disagree with what I've said?

What is the point of people going to university if they would be better served by apprenticeships/vocational courses?
    Perhaps because our manufacturing industry is practically non existent? Perhaps because many companies actually outsource these said jobs as a cost cutting exercise?

We simply don't have enough jobs to force the hundreds of thousands of people attending the 70+ universities outside the top 50 into apprenticeships.

This argument won't really matter in a few years when tution fees reach £7,000+ anyway as the taxpayer won't be subsidising the courses as much.

ReputationRep:
    Crikey, did I touch a nerve? The only reason I put universities in quotation marks is because of the general tone in this thread that quite a lot of universities are dubiously called so, that is all.
    Yes, you've ruined my life. I've just ripped my penis off and fed it to my cat.

ReputationRep:
    Austria has a perfectly good education system with only 5 universities...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    When on earth did I say this?

Debate sensibly please.
    Someone else in the thread said something about not allowing anyone with Cs into uni.

I was responding to that, sorry slightly off topic.

On Topic:

My next uni isn't even ranked in the "general" list as it is a healthcare uni (St georges hospital medical school, or St georges univeristy of London take your pick).

I am assuming such specialty unis would be safe under such a plan?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps because our manufacturing industry is practically non existent? Perhaps because many companies actually outsource these said jobs as a cost cutting exercise?

We simply don't have enough jobs to force the hundreds of thousands of people attending the 70+ universities outside the top 50 into apprenticeships.

This argument won't really matter in a few years when tution fees reach £7,000+ anyway as the taxpayer won't be subsidising the courses as much.
    Well I don't actually agree with getting rid of all unis outside the top 50 lol.

ReputationRep:
    why is it horrific?, some schools that's there average mark, person marks may be affected my illness, teaching being poor, list can go on, only people with AAA can go to uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    They shouldn't be recognised as universities, but instead as what they are: polytechnics.
    Says he who's going to St Andrews the oxbridge reject uni. Haha FAIL.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.