The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

wilko1991
Says he who's going to St Andrews the oxbridge reject uni. Haha FAIL.

You think St Andrews is a poor university? There are no words to describe your fail.
wilko1991
Says he who's going to St Andrews the oxbridge reject uni. Haha FAIL.

Erm, what? :rolleyes:

I actually made a valid point. Essentially every university below the top 40-60 range was formerly a polytechnic. Of course there are some exceptions, but I am wholeheartedly opposed to the watering down of degrees and the misleading of the public into thinking 50% of school-leavers will soon be going to "university" when standards obviously differ. Instead of responding with petty ad hominem attacks, I'd have expected at least some sort of genuine refutation. LOL.
Nick_000
Perhaps because our manufacturing industry is practically non existent? Perhaps because many companies actually outsource these said jobs as a cost cutting exercise?

We simply don't have enough jobs to force the hundreds of thousands of people attending the 70+ universities outside the top 50 into apprenticeships.

This argument won't really matter in a few years when tution fees reach £7,000+ anyway as the taxpayer won't be subsidising the courses as much.

there a lots of jobs for grads, we are short on teachers, police, the army, all take grads, tons of other places as well, but people don't want these jobs

as i said in a post before, closing uni below 50, means you closing some very good departments, including a uni ranked number 2 for teaching being Kingston uni

the £7000 is a worry, that mean only the rich can afford and will go, fees at £3000 was a put of for people , plus that won't cover the full cost of uni, it cost £250k to train a doctor, most lab based courses are what £10,000 + a year, arts just a bit less
Tbh, it's time for me to broadcast my opinion:

Surprisingly, I'm don't agree with the OP on this one. Why? OP, just get the best grades you can and get into the best uni you can. And I think that should apply to everyone. OP, why do you give a **** about people in the "lesser" unis. Just, for once, think about yourself and don't matter about everyone else. Tbh, it's a person's personal decision whether they want to go to a Top 20 uni or a Top 60 uni. But you know what, if they get ****** by their decisions, well then, they took the "risk" and why should you care? Why? If people want to go to "lesser" unis, seeing the Government has given them the opportunity, let them. They have their own lives and you have their own. If they screw if up and can't get a job, let them! Same principle!
Who cares? For once, just think about your own life, and never mind anyone elses. If they want to drain taxpayers' money, let them. If they get into debt and can't pay it back, let them. Just leave people alone to do what they ******* want.
Why? Why all have lives. I do what I want, you do what you want and the others do what they want. If they screw it up, then let them to. It was their decision. Welcome to life - where it is unfair. Step into reality.
Sort your own life out before complaining about other people's lives.
You know what... Be thankful we live in a country that tries its best to give everyone the opportunity to go to uni. Yes, there are flaws but no Government, political ideology etc are ever perfect. Britain gives people new opportunities that wouldn't have been around decades before - it's up to people whether or not to make the most out of that opportunity. If they screw that opportunity, why on earth do you give a ****?
Just stop complaining for heaven's sake!
Look, we only live our lives once. Stop bitching and step into reality, you know?
Tbh, the university system is not perfect - neither is it anywhere else in the world otherwise every country would be using it. But what can we do? Proposing to "kill off" "lesser" unis? That's not going to work - you might be denying just that one person of a better future.
necessarily benevolent
They shouldn't be recognised as universities, but instead as what they are: polytechnics.

Well they used to be but they are now known as Universities. You have a point as most of them do offer Theoretical and Academic courses, alongside very practical based courses.

I go to a former Polytechnic and my course has involved only essays and exams as methods of assessment. My friend's course has involved using cameras, taking photos, filming and using computer software to refine this. He has not had to write any essays, only reports on the practical work he has done.
im so academic

Surprisingly, I'm don't agree with the OP on this one. Why? OP, just get the best grades you can and get into the best uni you can. And I think that should apply to everyone. OP, why do you give a **** about people in the "lesser" unis. Just, for once, think about yourself and don't matter about everyone else. Tbh, it's a person's personal decision whether they want to go to a Top 20 uni or a Top 60 uni. But you know what, if they get ****** by their decisions, well then, they took the "risk" and why should you care? Why? If people want to go to "lesser" unis, seeing the Government has given them the opportunity, let them. They have their own lives and you have their own. If they screw if up and can't get a job, let them! Same principle!
Who cares? For once, just think about your own life, and never mind anyone elses. If they want to drain taxpayers' money, let them. If they get into debt and can't pay it back, let them. Just leave people alone to do what they ******* want.
Why? Why all have lives. I do what I want, you do what you want and the others do what they want. If they screw it up, then let them to. It was their decision. Welcome to life - where it is unfair. Step into reality.
You know what... Be thankful we live in a country that tries its best to give everyone the opportunity to go to uni. Yes, there are flaws but no Government, political ideology etc are ever perfect. Britain gives people new opportunities that wouldn't have been around decades before - it's up to people whether or not to make the most out of that opportunity. If they screw that opportunity, why on earth do you give a ****?
Look, we only live our lives once. Stop bitching and step into reality, you know?
Tbh, the university system is not perfect - neither is it anywhere else in the world otherwise every country would be using it. But what can we do? Proposing to "kill off" "lesser" unis? That's not going to work - you might be denying just that one person of a better future.

3 cheers for Im so academic.
im so academic

Omgs, I was actually considering giving you some pos rep.

But I don't want to hurt your image :p:
Reply 127
ScotlandStandUp
That's why there are universities with lower requirements, and everyone should have a chance to everything, don't be selfish idiot.

10 points for not understanding old chap

Jonty99
But we subsidise university courses. Would you subsidise me to go to a football academy if I was rubbish at football and had no chance of being a successful footballer?

I wouldn't bother giving him more examples if he failed to understand mine ^^
robbo3045
Omgs, I was actually considering giving you some pos rep.

But I don't want to hurt your image :p:

Thank, but I'm barred from getting pos rep.

But tbh, what kind of country would it be if they actually denied people opportunities? This is the 21st century for heavens sake, and we still have pricks in this country who believe further education should only be available for the academic? What about the people who want to learn and pursue what they want to a higher level but just can't do A-levels? As many people have said in here, A-levels are not an indicator of intelligence!
You know, there are definitely some bright, smart people in less than Top 50 unis? Why? Maybe they prefer the atmosphere there, or the campus or whatever. And if they are screwed for following that decision, then they face the consequences. But it was their decision, and most importantly their lives.
Yawn, Yawn, same old, same old.
im so academic
Thank, but I'm barred from getting pos rep.

But tbh, what kind of country would it be if they actually denied people opportunities? This is the 21st century for heavens sake, and we still have pricks in this country who believe further education should only be available for the academic? What about the people who want to learn and pursue what they want to a higher level but just can't do A-levels? As many people have said in here, A-levels are not an indicator of intelligence!
You know, there are definitely some bright, smart people in less than Top 50 unis? Why? Maybe they prefer the atmosphere there, or the campus or whatever. And if they are screwed for following that decision, then they face the consequences. But it was their decision, and most importantly their lives.

Exactly, and what would denying opportunities do? Increase poverty, increase the numbers claiming benefits. And a lot of unhappy people, stuck in jobs that they hate.
Reply 131
robbo3045
Exactly, what would denying opportunities due, increase poverty, increase the numbers claiming benefits. And a lot of unhappy people, stuck in jobs that they hate.

Though, on the other hand, with a stagnant number of graduate jobs and increasing number of graduates, we'll get the same sort of situation. :wink:
Sver
Stupid thread, stupid thought, there wouldnt be a 'top 50' if there wern't more than 50 unis smart ass and the Top 50, changes every year depending on performance.

This!!
.ACS.
Though, on the other hand, with a stagnant number of graduate jobs and increasing number of graduates, we'll get the same sort of situation. :wink:

I disagree. It is all persistence. This is not going to be, what happens in all cases. Some people who might not have incredible intelligence can go to a Top 80 University and find themselves in very good, well paid jobs. And although you may not be able to find opportunities in the more competitive industries, a degree opens opportunities that could not otherwise be ceased, and it will give you the ability to search better paid, rewarding positions. With a degree, candidates are more likely to be favoured than those without degrees.

So therefore I think it is a worthwhile opportunity for everyone.
Maybe top 90 to top 110 should exist and the rest dont. I do think certain unis should just change into some really vocational style colleges or something else.
Reply 135
I don't agree with this.

I got accepted into The University of Liverpool (a 'red brick' University) but decided to go to Liverpool John Moores University.
LJMU isn't as highly regarded as UL but I had a better feeling about it and the Campus etc.
ADREAM
All universities that rank outside of the overall Top 50 in the UK should not exist. Such excessive amounts of money should not be spent on students who fail to get into these highly ranked uni's and become highly-regarded international professionals, but instead they should be trained in colleges/camps to obtain cheap/easy diplomas in building work/hairdressing/gardening/whatever.

You sound like a Nazi with this camp talk! Whatever happened to people doing what they want and enjoy? What about the fact that university isn't specifically designed to get people in professional jobs but to provide people with a higher education whether they want to do something with it later or not? We're paying for it. I hate this work ethic that people are born with/brought up with. The fact that we're forced into work at all like proles is something that will always infuriate me about the human race.
Reply 137
That's stupid. Just because you don't get into one of the top 50 uni's then you should be a bricklayer or a hairdresser..? wtf..
Reply 138
robinson999
why is it horrific?, some schools that's there average mark, person marks may be affected my illness, teaching being poor, list can go on, only people with AAA can go to uni?

Talk about twisting my words. Sheesh.

Obviously extenuating circumstances aside, for people who achieve the lower end of the grade scale clearly aren't cut out for higher level academic work. And none of this 'what about bad schools etc etc etc' - if you want to do well you can do it regardless in my opinion. I know many people who have done, too. I agree with the fact that if people want to continue some kind of higher education then that is fine, all v.well and good. Training/diplomas/HNDs/certificates. But going to a 'university' and getting a 'degree' just dilutes the value of how hard others work and how hard universities work to maintain their good standards, I think. Plus if all you can be arsed to get at A level is D, E, U etc then why should being at a university make you any more motivated to learn and indulge academically. Doesn't make sense. They'd be better getting a job or some kind of vocational training.
Grammar fail, "clever-clogs."

Latest

Trending

Trending