Birmingham and GCSEs Watch

lil groovy dude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Their website says:

GCSE requirements: candidates are required to offer Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Mathematics and English Language or English Literature at grade A. Integrated Science (double certificate) at grade A is acceptable as an alternative to Physics, Biology and Chemistry.
But a lot of people tell me this isn't the case and they want a minimum number of A*'s at GCSE and it's a big deciding factor for them. Is this true?

Thanks for any help
Unknown-User
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmm I heard about this aswell.
I thought the minimum number of A*'s was for Medicine, but I didnt know it was for Dentistry aswell =S

I think the requirements in the quote above are essential, but the number of A* isnt as important, as they have to look at other factors such as personal statement, extracurricular activities etc...
Sorry I couldnt help too much, hopefully someone else can clear this up for the both of us
AspiringLinguist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This highlights the importance Birmingham places on GCSEs for Medicine:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...E_Requirements

This is a TSR Wiki about Dentistry - it seems confident in Birmingham's statement about grades on its website being reflective of its general policy. You might, however, find it helpful with other areas of application etc etc. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry

I also agree with Unknown-User - other factors are probably more important.

I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help, but I'm not intending to study anything science-related, and I only know a bit about Birmingham and medicine through a friend.
dental_hopeful
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lil groovy dude)
Their website says:

But a lot of people tell me this isn't the case and they want a minimum number of A*'s at GCSE and it's a big deciding factor for them. Is this true?

Thanks for any help
i am a student @ bham uni for dentistry and got 3A*'s and 7A's for GCSE, and AABCa for A levels!

hope that helps/answers ur question!
nofishing
Report 9 years ago
At the open day the admissions tutor pretty much said if you didn't get those 7 A's not to apply, but made it pretty clear that this was the policy and didn't even hint about any A*s. Hope this helps.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (249)
91.54%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (23)
8.46%

Watched Threads