Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Their website says:

GCSE requirements: candidates are required to offer Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Mathematics and English Language or English Literature at grade A. Integrated Science (double certificate) at grade A is acceptable as an alternative to Physics, Biology and Chemistry.
    But a lot of people tell me this isn't the case and they want a minimum number of A*'s at GCSE and it's a big deciding factor for them. Is this true?

Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I heard about this aswell.
    I thought the minimum number of A*'s was for Medicine, but I didnt know it was for Dentistry aswell =S

I think the requirements in the quote above are essential, but the number of A* isnt as important, as they have to look at other factors such as personal statement, extracurricular activities etc...
    Sorry I couldnt help too much, hopefully someone else can clear this up for the both of us

ReputationRep:
    This highlights the importance Birmingham places on GCSEs for Medicine:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...E_Requirements

This is a TSR Wiki about Dentistry - it seems confident in Birmingham's statement about grades on its website being reflective of its general policy. You might, however, find it helpful with other areas of application etc etc. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry

I also agree with Unknown-User - other factors are probably more important.

I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help, but I'm not intending to study anything science-related, and I only know a bit about Birmingham and medicine through a friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil groovy dude)
    Their website says:

But a lot of people tell me this isn't the case and they want a minimum number of A*'s at GCSE and it's a big deciding factor for them. Is this true?

Thanks for any help
    i am a student @ bham uni for dentistry and got 3A*'s and 7A's for GCSE, and AABCa for A levels!

hope that helps/answers ur question!

ReputationRep:
    At the open day the admissions tutor pretty much said if you didn't get those 7 A's not to apply, but made it pretty clear that this was the policy and didn't even hint about any A*s. Hope this helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.