Turn on thread page Beta

End in sight for German towel wars? watch

ReputationRep:
    The early morning ritual of draping a beach towel over a coveted sun lounger to reserve it may soon be a thing of the past for some German tourists.

The travel firm Thomas Cook is giving Germans the option of pre-booking their loungers when they choose their next Mediterranean holiday package.

So far, the offer only applies to winter holidays booked in Germany.

Nine hotels have joined the scheme to stop "beach towel wars", which see many Germans accused of hogging loungers.

Reserving a lounger and beach umbrella in advance will cost about three euros (£2.60) a day, on top of the holiday package.

Thomas Cook is offering the option at nine hotels in Turkey, Egypt and the Canary Islands.

For a weekly rate of 49 euros per room a family can reserve one lounger for each person, along with a beach umbrella and their own dining table at six Egyptian hotels.

The offer has only just come out, so it is too early to say how popular it will be, a Thomas Cook statement said.

One of the firm's managers, Peter Fankhauser, said that "with this we're relieving our clients of early morning stress".

He said he too found it "really tiresome" on holiday to be sent out by his wife early in the morning to place beach towels on the desired poolside loungers, Sueddeutsche Zeitung reported.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8172539.stm
    Half the fun of pinching sun loungers on holiday is throwing the Germans towels into the pool to obtain a prime spot, I am disappointed that they intend to spoil a good bit of fun

Now those crafty Germans not content with loosing two world wars intend to escalate hostilities by buying their way to victory.

ReputationRep:
    Germans are crazy mofo's!

ReputationRep:
    Haha why is it always the Brits and the Germans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFan3)
    Haha why is it always the Brits and the Germans?
    The French always surrender and the Spanish are always fudge this i'm going for a siesta, thus leaving the Germans and the Brits to fight it out much to the bemusement of the Speedo clad Dutch manly men who simply lay on the concrete by the pool.

ReputationRep:
    49 euros a week? Might as well buy a sun lounger tbh

ReputationRep:
    I never got why Germans do these kind of things. Sometimes you can be really embarrassed for your fellow citizens
    I don't think a lot of people will pay though, I somehow can't see them stopping their weirdness

ReputationRep:
    I had a German step dad for a few years.

He'll love this.

ReputationRep:
    Haha Germans can be so annoying. I actually saw something bout this on telly the other night but a lot of germans said they wouldn't do it 'caus they cant actually decide which sun loather they want, so basically they cant deserve the one in the front row ect. Touch luck for them - they'll just have to keep on waking up at friggin 6 in the morning to place their towel and later get it removed by somebody like me lol.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.