Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Has university changed you? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I can't seem to find a thread for this - apologies if it's been done to death.

I was just wondering, how, if at all, would you say university has changed you as a person? For example, are you more confident? Have you lost/gained weight? I know an element of personal change is unavoidable, but everyone's different.

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely more confident. Living independently in another city away from your family you learn to stick up for yourself more.

ReputationRep:
    I left home at 15 so it hasn't really changed me much.

It's just made me realise that the world is full of absolute dip sticks that I don't have time for.

ReputationRep:
    No, unfortunately I'm still a sarcastic boring *******.

ReputationRep:
    The short answer - YES.
    The long answer - YES. One heck of a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    The short answer - YES.
    The long answer - YES. One heck of a lot.
    How?

I'm wondering whether it's worth going for the change military life would bring me, or the change uni would bring me ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harleygrant)
    Have you lost/gained weight?
    gained 8 kilos :p:

generally it made me more confident .. especially as i'm an international student so i had to cope with the british life! and renting my own flat also helped with that!

but i feel less enthusiastic and lively than before joining uni .. just took all of my energy

ReputationRep:
    This was done a wee while ago but don't worry about it.

Yes. I gained a bit of weight (tummy mainly...I'll blame the drink), cried all the time for no reason, was nagging all the time in the flat because it was such a mess... I think university accommodation changed me. I felt more myself in my course and with course mates. I feel a bit more educated going to England from narrowminded N.Ire. I was glad to leave there and meet people who weren't only white and christian.

It'll be interesting to see what second year is like. I hope I'm nicer and more relaxed in a shared flat with 3 rather than strangers in a flat of 6.

ReputationRep:
    No, not gotten bigger but as final year I will be thinner! Im not having a bad graduation picture.

Definitely know who am and am comfortable with it more. Wouldnt say more confident, that was something else this year. Having a placement year has meant I have a better idea of real life and both this and uni have given me better skills for managing money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O_Bugger_its_Hitler)
    How?

I'm wondering whether it's worth going for the change military life would bring me, or the change uni would bring me ^_^
    Before going to Uni:

- I suffered severe depression throughout a 9-month spell during my A-Levels
    - I overate horrendously due to stress and family issues
    - I had never been on a night out with friends, mostly due to the fact I live in the middle of nowhere and the cost of getting anywhere
    - I left myself almost no free time
    - I gambled myself penniless despite earning about £350 a month from the age of 12 until I left for Uni

Now:

- I'm a bit of a party animal when at Uni, more relaxed at home
    - I've gone from being 15st at the start of Year 12 to around 13.5st after my first year of Uni.
    - I've gained a shedload of confidence and met some amazing people in all kinds of different ways
    - My kindness and intelligence has led me to be a bit of a hit with the ladies :teeth:
    - I got the confidence to actively go looking for jobs for the summer, of which I now have three :yy:

Hope that helps you, I'm probably quite a special case to be honest as I've always been the sort of person who has wanted to try new things, but I've only just attained the confidence to do so :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    It's just made me realise that the world is full of absolute dip sticks that I don't have time for.
    Part time job did that for me.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely became more confident, but most life experience brings with it confidence. It's not exactly a profound revelation.

ReputationRep:
    i hope to gain alot of confidence from it as well as learn a few lessions on being independent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfahad)
    gained 8 kilos :p:
    result of takeaway

ReputationRep:
    Sounds cheesy, but it really does help discover who you are. But only if you live independently away from your family! I'd say the biggest factor for me, is that it's made me know what I look for in the people I spend time with. Also I feel like I'm safe in the knowledge that I can go anywhere, do anything and I'll be fine on my own. Gives you a strong sense of self, in conclusion.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I am more confident and mature than I used to be, and can be quite outspoken at times, whereas when I was school I wouldn't have dreamed of doing/saying some of the things I have.
    Also, I did lead quite a sheltered life before uni, so I have learnt a lot about life/people in general.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.