Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For about the last year, I have noticed a marked change in the severity of my menstrual pain. It has become so debilitating that I am often unable to leave the house on days 1 and 2 of my period.
    I have tried over-the-counter painkillers such as Feminax, Co-Codamol and Paracetamol but they are completely ineffective. Hot baths and hot water bottles also do little to relieve the pain.

I saw the doctor about it last month and she suggested I go on the Contraceptive Pill or have the Implant, but I don't want to do either for reasons I won't go into, as it detracts from the point of this post.

Anyway, I have heard that anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, can be effective, so wondered if anyone who has taken them for period pain could tell me whether they work or not?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the best thing you can do it alternate 2 cocodamol with 2 Ibruprofen (sp?), take each one every two hours, so you have
    Say, 9AM- Cocodamol.
    11AM- Ibru
    1PM - Cocod
    3PM-Ibru
    5PM-Cocod
    7PM- Ibru
    9/10PM- Cocod, and then you're at your daily limit.
    Obviously, don't do this every day.

ReputationRep:
    I try not to take Ibuprofen too much as it is kind of strong but there have been times when I have taken 6 Ibuprofen tablets in a day. However if you do that, they're not very effective. My advice is if it gets really too much then take a couple, they always work. I always have severe period pains and I am pretty used to it so I sincerely sympathise with you! I hope this helps and I hope you feel better!!

(Original post by Antimatter)
    Yeah, the best thing you can do it alternate 2 cocodamol with 2 Ibruprofen (sp?), take each one every two hours, so you have
    Say, 9AM- Cocodamol.
    11AM- Ibru
    1PM - Cocod
    3PM-Ibru
    5PM-Cocod
    7PM- Ibru
    9/10PM- Cocod, and then you're at your daily limit.
    Obviously, don't do this every day.
    Haha that seems like a lot of painkillers :eek:
    But yeah I'll only need them for 2 days a month so it should be ok.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Haha that seems like a lot of painkillers :eek:
    But yeah I'll only need them for 2 days a month so it should be ok.
    Thanks
    I know it's a bit much, but when you're cramping like anything, just for a day or two, it works.
    My doctor taught me this trick when I had chickenpox, and it works because paracetamol builds up in the system

ReputationRep:
    I take Ibuprofen for this reason and I find that it works

ReputationRep:
    Any NSAID (non-steroidal anti imflamatory drug) should help. Ibuprofen is an example of this.

I used to have really really bad period pains where I would be restless, lying in bed, crying and even throwing up because of the pain. Nothing seemed to help. My doctor prescribed me Mefanamic Acid, which is a prescription NSAID (as I mentioned above). I know prescriptions are intended for a specific individual, but maybe you could ask your doctor about this? My doctor explained to me that period pains occur because your womb is like 'spasming' to help release the lining, which comes out as the blood you see, and that it is these contractions of the womb that cause the pain. The tablets he prescribed me are supposed to help ease the contractions.... (the anti-inflammatory part of the drug I presume).

I started the contraceptive (progesterone only as I didn't get on with combined) pill a few years ago, and since then my periods have been, yes, less painful... but also annoyingly long (sometimes 3 weeks) and irregular. For this reason I can no longer take the mefanamic acid. My doctor gave the instructions to take it 3 times a day for 3 days before you're due to start your period, and until the day you finish. But since I no longer know when my periods are due to start, I can't take it. However, like I said... although still somewhat uncomfortable, my periods don't often cause me such unbearable pain anymore.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I tried different combinations of paracetamol, aspirin, co-codamol, ibuprofen, mefenamic acid (of course within reason of what could be taken together) as well as hot water bottles and other natural remedies to no avail.
    For some reason pain relief would work for the first dose and I'd build up a tolerance. I've nearly ended up in hospital because the pain has been so intense. Thankfully my work was understanding and used to let me sit during the full shift.
    In the end I decided on going for the implant and I have no pain what so ever (I used to get pain when I wasn't on either).

ReputationRep:
    I have no clue what period pains are like being a guy and all, but I can tell you that very few over the counter painkillers and NSAIDs in general work for me, the only one that truly works well is Ibuprofen - maybe you're like me, give it a whirl, it might help.

ReputationRep:
    i used to have bad period paisn and I found that changing my diet and becoming more healthy helped. Supplements like omega 3s and angus castus are meant to help regulate hormones aswell. I hope you find something that works because it sucks.

ReputationRep:
    I had really bad cramps like yours. My dr put me on mefanamic acid, but that didn't help. There's also two stregths of feminax, try the higher one because it's got a muscle relaxant in it too which will relax the womb contractions which is causing your pain. The lesser type is just a standard ibuprofen and a bit of a con tbh. I was about to try them when my dr told me to start taking my pill continuously and since I don't have periods anymore, for the first time in 6 years they don't hurt, it's ace I started the pill when I was 15 because of the pain and it did help a lot. It wasn't perfect and I still got cramps, but at least I could move, which was an improvement. I then developed anemia because I bleed quite heavily, so my dr told me to run all my packs together and not have break and now it's perfect. The only things I found that worked before were hot water bottles clamped to my stomach all day and, this will sound silly but, my bf's thigh. It's the right shape, warmth and weight that when he lays it on my tummy, it stops the pain. I would def reccommend the pill, and keep complaining to your dr every time you go and eventually they will do somehting about it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.