Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im off to university in a few weeks and while i am there Im interested in starting or joining a band Im a self taught guitarist id say I could easily play a punk style band or a more demanding metal band but only as a rhythm player until i get more practise any one got any advice about how to go about it or ideas for a hilarious band or stage name

also Im not an idiot I don't have any romantic idealised ideas of being the next iron maiden or blink 182 i just think it will be a good way to make friends earn the occasional bit of money and meet girls or is this not the case for student band members.

ReputationRep:
    Most unis have Jam societies (or at least a rock/metal/punk/whatever society) for musicians to meet up and sort something out, so probably worth joining up to that.

The main problem I've found with jamming at uni is how to get everyone's equipment together without a car... amps are heavy Only real solution is find someone with a car, just jam with people at the same halls/live afew doors down, or use your student loan to get a light practise amp.

The most important thing is to get regular jamming sessions set up ASAP. These things have a habit of becoming all talk, especially with finding time to jam between uni social life and studying.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience it's bloody difficult to get a band together, and once you get a band together, it's even harder to keep them together.

I play pretty demanding music and write very demanding music, so getting musicians able to play it is difficult, but I don't know if that would be the case with more popular/less demanding music. If you want to start a deathcore/emo band today, I'd imagine it would be piss easy. But not anything worth starting!

But if you want to start a band, uni is probably the best place to find other members. Lots of students with free time and an interest in music. Ask your unions to put up posters seeking members, put your own up around campus. Most universities have a facility by which you can email every student in the university simultaneously.

On top of that, there's the societies. There will be music/instrumentalist societies, probably, with lots of musicians. There's a 'band' society at my uni, but I'm not a member for a few reasons - it's 90% guitarist, which is pretty terrible when you yourself are a guitarist, and what you need is drums, bassists and vocalists! Not to mention that they all have very different interests. But societies may be the way to go if the type of music you want to make is 'popular' these days.

ReputationRep:
    Rhythm in a metal band :lolwut: What sort of metal do you listen to?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.