Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Changed my name by deedpoll... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can I travel using my passport that has my old name on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger.)
    Does it say SloaneRanger on it?

I doubt you will be able to. As far as I am aware you need to let them know when you get married so that they can change your name so I don't see why this would be different.

EDIT: Here is some more info:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...port/DG_174165

ReputationRep:
    No you have to send it off to have the name changed on it.

ReputationRep:
    No. I had to have my passport changed when I had my name changed.

ReputationRep:
    deedpoll isnt exactly "changing name" you have to send that to the passport service and ask them to change it and other places like the DVLA

ReputationRep:
    No absolutely not!! When you signed the deed poll, did you read it first? It states that you agree to not be known by your previous name at all. It is illegal old name, and why would you want to (what would be the point - you've changed your name presumably because you want to be known by that name!). Go on the IPS website and you can complete a form on there, which will be sent to you for you to sign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YerMah)
    deedpoll isnt exactly "changing name" you have to send that to the passport service and ask them to change it and other places like the DVLA
    a deedpoll is a recognised legal way to change your name or title, and regardless of whether you still possess ID in your old name, your new name on your deedpoll is then your correct name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    a deedpoll is a recognised legal way to change your name or title, and regardless of whether you still possess ID in your old name, your new name on your deedpoll is then your correct name.
    if you dont show anyone it then it isnt your new name as such ull still be known as the name uve always used

ReputationRep:
    This is so cool, changing names :woo: Why do people change them? because they don't like their current name or for having one that is like really cool? :cool:
    I'm very curious what interesting names people must change them to.
    If I could, I'd change my first name to Ken.
    Surname: Tucky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YerMah)
    if you dont show anyone it then it isnt your new name as such ull still be known as the name uve always used
    aye, but not legally, and paying to have it changed would be pretty pointless if you weren't going to ensure you were then known by it.

ReputationRep:
    Did you change your first name or your last name?

ReputationRep:
    I reckon you'd probably get away with it, but then if they did ANY sort of checks on you, they would find out that the person with your old name doesn't exist and therefore your passport isn't valid. I think it would be sort of like taking a dead persons passport and using that. But I can't remember how you travel - if they actually check the name of everybody.

But no, its really not a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davy-Jones)
    This is so cool, changing names :woo: Why do people change them? because they don't like their current name or for having one that is like really cool? :cool:
    I'm very curious what interesting names people must change them to.
    If I could, I'd change my first name to Ken.
    Surname: Tucky
    Hahaha! xD

Have you ever seen that episode of Friends where Phoebe chanes her name to Princess Consuela Bananahammock, and her boyfriend changes his name to Crap Bag?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    Did you change your first name or your last name?
    Both. I kept my old first name as my middle name.

ReputationRep:
    Both. I kept my old first name as my middle name.
    What made you change your name (i mean was it just spontaneous, or did you want to disassociate yourself from your family or what? And how did you choose your new name?

ReputationRep:
    Was it just some boring name change, or did you actually change it to Jellyfish Jones or something?

ReputationRep:
    What made you change your name (i mean was it just spontaneous, or did you want to disassociate yourself from your family or what? And how did you choose your new name?
    I don't like my old name. My new surname is my mum's family name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Was it just some boring name change, or did you actually change it to Jellyfish Jones or something?
    No, I've gone from a normal name to another normal name.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like my old name. My new surname is my mum's family name.
    And how did you pick your new first name?

ReputationRep:
    And how did you pick your new first name?
    It was my Christian name.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.