Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

n00b commuters! (A Rant) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to have a rant now, the past 5 years of commuting by Rail has finally got to me! This mornings journey took the biscuit! Here is a list of things that I find really, really annoying...!

1) Your sat in First Class, you are in a whole carriage with yourself and three other people... there are about 8 sets of four seats to a table vacant... another 6 sets of two seats to a table also vacant...!

What happens, the train stops, passengers get on, have a seat reservation for a seat opposite the one your sat in, but despite the plentiful supply of empty tables... still insist on sitting opposite you, stealing your leg room... and then decide to spread there work out across the table! then they wonder why they get a funny look! :mad:

2) Fare dodgers hiding in the toilet... Yes you may not want to pay your fare, that your decision, but I need a ****ing wee and this is the only toilet so hide somewhere else plank! alternatively, buy a ****ing ticket! :yep:

3) Furthering Point 1, If you have decided to sit on my table when there are plenty of other seats and you have spread yourself across the table... Don't complain if I order Breakfast... I do it every morning! If you do complain... I am ten times more likely to get my laptop out as well...! Don't like it... Move, I was here first :yep: If you were there first, hey, guess what... I would select an empty table

4) I don't have a problem with people sitting opposite me on a train if it's busy, far from it infact... But if you are going sit opposite me, at least tell me so I can move my legs out of your way... I might even put the laptop away if your a nice person! Manners generally go alot further than ignorance and rudeness :yep:

---

So anyway, some of my commuting no no's... Yes your probably thinking, Gezz what a ****... and I have to say I am generally a nice and polite person... not a snob... just a miserable git!

Anyway, what are your pet commuting hates...??

Discuss

ReputationRep:
    Do you reserve a 1st class place?

ReputationRep:
    People that cant afford first class get a much rawer deal, like standing squashed in the aisle like sardines for hours every day. I dont think people taking their rightfully reserved seats and you having a little less room for your breakfast is that bad tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I quite like trains, you always get the odd retards having the weirdest conversations. If i remember exactly a few week ago on the train to Sheffield some teenage girls ended up having a conversation about sheep (there happened to be sheep as we passed by) and one of them said.

"I've always wondered how sheep stand up, you know, on those little 'hooves' and not fall over?"

*face palm*

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I just get on with the ins and outs of cattle class. I was peeved once when I was almost forcefully removed from a seat that had been reserved and had no name on it. I was asleep at the time.

It's a thing you just get on with, to be honest. You can't change anyone else's obnoxiousness, so why bother ranting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackfish)
    1) Your sat in First Class, you are in a whole carriage with yourself and three other people... there are about 8 sets of four seats to a table vacant... another 6 sets of two seats to a table also vacant...!
    I'm not entirely sure what the proper etiquette would be in this situation then. Do you merely sit down and leave the reserved seat vacant and thus cause problems later on if the carriage fills up? Or do you go over and remove the reservation slip and then sit somewhere else and risk insulting the person opposite?

Maybe the new digital reservation system takes care of this somehow by mentioning at which station the seat should have been taken if it was reserved?

ReputationRep:
    My own pet peeves:

* People who do not make any attempt to control their childrens behaviour on trains. Get your brats to sit down and shut up. I can't even bear to be subjected to the bad behaviour of my own offspring (hence why I do not have children) let alone yours.

* Loud and annoying tourists who don't seem to realise they're on a train full of commuters who are trying to enjoy the quiet by either doing some work, reading a book, or catching up on sleep. They then proceed to disturb said peace and quiet by having loud and annoying conversations.

* Dirty, stinky trains that smell like a toilet (literally, because no-one has cleaned out the toilet compartment... so foul and gross :mad: )

* People who insist on eating stinky and/or noisy food.

Lucky for me, I bought a car in the weekend. Not only has it reduced my travel time by half, the only person I have to put up with now is me

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_violet)
    My own pet peeves:

* People who do not make any attempt to control their childrens behaviour on trains. Get your brats to sit down and shut up. I can't even bear to be subjected to the bad behaviour of my own offspring (hence why I do not have children) let alone yours.
    This.

And because it's the Summer Hols now, my evening commuter trains home now feature parents + kids from their Day Out in London or at the Seaside.

I'll be glad when they all go back to school in September, and us commuters can get back to our evening peak in peace and stubborness!

ReputationRep:
    The very fact that you commute to work is a massive fail.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for letting me know how to piss off people on trains. I shall be having some fun soon.

ReputationRep:
    People who think I want to listen to their dance music on a tinny speaker from their phone should die.

ReputationRep:
    Lol you guys get annoyed farrrr too easily. Chill out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datr)
    I'm not entirely sure what the proper etiquette would be in this situation then. Do you merely sit down and leave the reserved seat vacant and thus cause problems later on if the carriage fills up? Or do you go over and remove the reservation slip and then sit somewhere else and risk insulting the person opposite?
    I do this... The train I normally use is an Off Peak Service with 3 First Class carriages... I normally start the journey with about 5 people in my carriage. The carriage rarely see's more than about 15 - 20 people at any one time... However 1 of those are highly likely to sit opposite me simply because of their reservation... When there are other empty tables... Why would you want to spread your stuff across the table... risk an arguement... when you can sit and have a large table all to yourself :yep:

I don't reserve seats, because generally I will always have a seat available, even on the peak services... but I sometimes have to share a table (which I don't mind)

ReputationRep:
    I don't care how empty the train is when I get on, if I have a reserved seat, I always sit in it now. Last time I let a family switch seats with me who said they were going to Edinburgh, as they all wanted to be seated together. It turned out they weren't even sitting in their reserved seats to begin with, so I ended up on a seat reserved for someone else getting on at the next stop, leaving me without a god damn seat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    People who think I want to listen to their dance music on a tinny speaker from their phone should die.
    Ah! Jiggy Boyz in hoodeez - yeah, never really got what that's all about.

ReputationRep:
    My own pet peeves:

I was so close to telling off a child who seemed to launch into a tantrum until I switched on the noise-cancelling gizmo on my headphones - a godsend that I'd strongly recommend. It did mean I didn't get to say: "Lots of people have had a hard day at work and the last thing they need is you having a little tantrum!" (As well as ranting at the parents saying: "Your children are not out of control because you live in a town that's drowning in its moral cesspit! It's coz you're scum! Fact! Call the Jeremy Kyle Show - Now! " )

* Loud and annoying tourists who don't seem to realise they're on a train full of commuters who are trying to enjoy the quiet by either doing some work, reading a book, or catching up on sleep. They then proceed to disturb said peace and quiet by having loud and annoying conversations.
    I have "persuaded" someone to move to another carriage to finish a phonecall through an assertive voice and a refusal to budge - quite satisfying

* Dirty, stinky trains that smell like a toilet (literally, because no-one has cleaned out the toilet compartment... so foul and gross :mad: )

* People who insist on eating stinky and/or noisy food.
    I avoid the poo carriages as a rule and tend to shift if someone turns up with lots of food.

It's amazing how a commuter can turn one into an obnoxious creep, but hey, if someone is going to get in my way in the middle of the London rush hour and stand around looking gormless, I reserve the right to trample them with the huge crowd that happens to be sweeping me along. I guess it's trample or be trampled.

Actually, tell a lie - I tend to shout "Excuse me!" or "Coming through!" in a loud and assertive voice. The sunglasses (whatever the weather), big headphones, goatee beard and the non-white complexion can be quite intimidating at times... :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    I avoid the poo carriages as a rule and tend to shift if someone turns up with lots of food.
    Hubby took my car to get serviced today, so it was the dreaded train for me. Today I wasn't even in the toilet carriage and it STILL smelled like poo
    I think I'm just not cut out to be a commuter..

ReputationRep:
    Forgive my ignorance but does this thread apply just to commuter trains? That is, to and from London? Or for longer--like 3 hour--trips? I'm taking a train from London to Bangor, and now I'm getting nervous! I've never been on a train before!

ReputationRep:
    Oh my OP, you have such a hard commute - first class with breakfast :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.