Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

n00b commuters! (A Rant) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Thank you kindly to the person who left me negative rep... Your comment may have been worth reading if you had the balls to leave your name But no... You didn't... Scared I'll neg rep back or something...?? Guess what, that would be childish of me wouldn't it, but i'm not a child... However you are a child by not signing your name to neg rep... At least grow the balls to do the job properly, or don't do it at all... :rolleyes:

For everyones info, this was the comment:

"Muppet. Why shouldn't someone sit in their reserved seat? Just because you're a selfish idiot doesn't mean you can override train rules."

I never at one point said I was a selfish idiot... And I never said "You can't sit there nor altered the rules in any way"

The point I was merely trying to make was that I find it annoying when someone decides to sit at a table i'm sat at when the rest of the carriage has plenty of empty tables...

In all fairness, it doesn't bother me all that much... I have far more interesting things to ponder over... What bothers me is when they take up the whole table without any regard for the fact your sat there and may want to get some paperwork out or whatnot...

Why would you have such bad manners to do that... Surely it would have made more sense to sit at another table, thus not causing bother to yourself and myself...???

I am not saying i'm one of those passengers that wants to take up a whole table to themselves... far form it infact... what I am saying is that people should at times use a little bit of common sense...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackfish)
    Thank you kindly to the person who left me negative rep... Your comment may have been worth reading if you had the balls to leave your name But no... You didn't... Scared I'll neg rep back or something...?? Guess what, that would be childish of me wouldn't it, but i'm not a child... However you are a child by not signing your name to neg rep... At least grow the balls to do the job properly, or don't do it at all... :rolleyes:

"Muppet. Why shouldn't someone sit in their reserved seat? Just because you're a selfish idiot doesn't mean you can override train rules."

I never at one point said I was a selfish idiot... And I never said "You can't sit there nor altered the rules in any way"

The point I was merely trying to make was that I find it annoying when someone decides to sit at a table i'm sat at when the rest of the carriage has plenty of empty tables...

In all fairness, it doesn't bother me all that much... I have far more interesting things to ponder over... What bothers me is when they take up the whole table without any regard for the fact your sat there and may want to get some paperwork out or whatnot...

Why would you have such bad manners to do that... Surely it would have made more sense to sit at another table, thus not causing bother to yourself and myself...???

I am not saying i'm one of those passengers that wants to take up a whole table to themselves... far form it infact... what I am saying is that people should at times use a little bit of common sense...
    If you reserve a seat, you should sit in it. That is why National Express charge for reservations now. People were just reserving seats incase they got on a train meaning people weren't able to sit down as they thought seats were reserved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackfish)

We do see your point that it's annoying when people sit next to you on an empty train (I hate it even more on a bus - there's dozens of empty rows and some muppet decides to crush himself beside you :rolleyes:), but a commute in first class with breakfast - there are millions of people who have worse/more annoying commutes than you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    If you reserve a seat, you should sit in it. That is why National Express charge for reservations now. People were just reserving seats incase they got on a train meaning people weren't able to sit down as they thought seats were reserved.
    Which is a fair point and i'm not disputing that in any way...

I was just saying why would you sit opposite someone who is working at a table, when there are plenty of other seats with tables for the rest of the journey, which are unreserved...

I did a count last time I used the train just out of curiosity, out of the 40 is seats in a carriage, about 15 were reserved, 7 of which were reserved for journeys ending after I had got on...! another 4 were reserved at the station I got on at... of which 0 were actually occupied at that station...!

ReputationRep:
    After commuting for a year I have quite a lot of complaints!

- People who sit in the aisle seat with a spare seat beside them but conveniently fall asleep when the train gets busy so nobody can ask them to budge up.

- Having to stand next to the disgusting toilet for 40 minutes.

- The staff on the train I get on can often be rude, which I have written and complained about and they apologised about this one incident in particular

-People who talk really loud on the phone and because of the poor signal, every five minutes are shouting 'HELLOOOOOO? HELLO?? Oh I've been cut off'. Repeat x3.

I just don't like trains in general :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    We do see your point that it's annoying when people sit next to you on an empty train (I hate it even more on a bus - there's dozens of empty rows and some muppet decides to crush himself beside you :rolleyes:), but a commute in first class with breakfast - there are millions of people who have worse/more annoying commutes than you.
    Personally I would beg to differ in a sense... I travel First Class more because it helps my disability and I find I can actually travel without too many issues, so no my commute isn't as so straight forward as people may believe... However I am not going into details as it wouldn't be fair.

So yes you may be thinking, "Jeez What a Snob/**** etc" But I can assure you it's not like that in the slightest...

In all honesty, I don't like First Class... It's full of old people who look at you as if your a piece of dirt...! Businessman who are full of hatred to anyone who dare spill a cup of coffee... So yes it sounds attractive, but trust me, the novalty soon wears off...

ReputationRep:
    My pet hate: people think it's ok to put their dirty shoes/trainers on the seats. This gripes me the most. And also like another poster, I always avoid sitting in a carriage which has a toliet on it. Personally, I would appreciate if if they banned toilets on trains. (like the tube?). The number of times the toilet was beng flushed on the Peterborough to edinburgh trip :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermaphrodite)
    My pet hate: people think it's ok to put their dirty shoes/trainers on the seats. This gripes me the most. And also like another poster, I always avoid sitting in a carriage which has a toliet on it. Personally, I would appreciate if if they banned toilets on trains. (like the tube?). The number of times the toilet was beng flushed on the Peterborough to edinburgh trip :sigh:
    You couldn't just ban toilets on trains with journeys that long, Peterborough to Edinburgh is around 3 and a half hours, and from Kings Cross it's about 4 and a half, I need the toilet in that time, likewise I'm sure many others do too. Whereas, on the tube, I've never been on a journey that lasted longer than about 20 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    :yes:
    (Original post by thelilymaid)
    Forgive my ignorance but does this thread apply just to commuter trains? That is, to and from London? Or for longer--like 3 hour--trips? I'm taking a train from London to Bangor, and now I'm getting nervous! I've never been on a train before!

London isn't the only place where people commute to and from you know! :yes:

This does generally refer to the frustrations of the hardened commuters who travels by rail each morning and night to and from their place of study/work.

Leisure travel doesn't tend to be any where near as frought as the descriptions given.

ReputationRep:
    Might be a bit difficult on the Penzance-Aberdeen service without a loo on it.

And, although c2c only run trains for no more than 90 minute journey length - if someone travels from end to end via the long diversion loop, we still have one loo per 4 carriage train - and we've put motion triggered air fresheners in ours to try make them a bit more plesent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Might be a bit difficult on the Penzance-Aberdeen service without a loo on it.

And, although c2c only run trains for no more than 90 minute journey length - if someone travels from end to end via the long diversion loop, we still have one loo per 4 carriage train - and we've put motion triggered air fresheners in ours to try make them a bit more plesent.
    Nobody ever does the whole route though. Even the drivers don't. Does it not take 14 hours or something. My idea of a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody ever does the whole route though. Even the drivers don't. Does it not take 14 hours or something. My idea of a nightmare.
    Aberdeen 08:20
    Penzance 21:47

So yeah, 13hrs 27minutes.

Would far rather go via London and then take FGWs Night Riviera to wake up refreshed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    :yes:

London isn't the only place where people commute to and from you know! :yes:

This does generally refer to the frustrations of the hardened commuters who travels by rail each morning and night to and from their place of study/work.

Leisure travel doesn't tend to be any where near as frought as the descriptions given.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the confirmation/reassurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelilymaid)
    Gotcha. Thanks for the confirmation/reassurance
    i was gonna call you dumb the, but seeing as your from america, i shall let you off.

why have you never been on a train before

ReputationRep:
    I don't miss commuting by train :-)
    It's fine for the odd journey. All these things seem rather novel and quaint if you only travel by train on occasions, but every day they would drive me mad.

ps: If you think first class is bad, you should try standard class...

ReputationRep:
    I usually get a bit peeved at people who reserve seats for stupidly short distances. At first, I thought the notion of reserving a seat for travel between Lancaster and Preston was bad, until I last travelled by train and somebody reserved a seat to travel between Manchester Oxford Road and Manchester Piccadilly! The worst thing was, they kicked a person out of their seat, despite of the fact the majority of the seats in that carriage were free! Unless they are pregnant, old or disabled there’s no point! You could have walked that distance…

People who insist on boarding trains before letting other people off are rather annoying, as well as those who put baggage on the seats next to them, irrespective of how busy the train is! (I just lift it off now, or actually sit on their bag!)

ReputationRep:
    I commute everday for the past 2 years. I hate kids, and people that think their gangstah by playing their mobile phones loud, thinking it makes them big and cool. one of them, sat as if he was the coolest **** in town, playing "Sweet home Alabama" What a laugh...

But damn poeple in england have first class carriages... looks like im missing out.

ReputationRep:
    Today I spent 3.5 hours in traffic as there was an accident on the M40. The train really didn't seem so awful in comparison after all...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.