Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you know if people will want to hug you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Say if a girl asked for a hug off a guy/man what are the chances that he wouldn't want to hug her? Would he generally find it weird or be put off? Theres a man I work with at work and he's like 20 years older (he's 39) and he's helped me loads I like him (not saying i fancy him or anything but he's single anyway) Ive seen him give hugs to other women we work with and I kind of want want too as he's going away for 8 months I'l miss him (again I don't want to be with him).

Im afraid he might think its weird cause Im a lot younger plus Im not the attractive type Im dead small quiet and shy, don't attract guys, old fashioned hair not good looking lol. He seems to like giving me advice about workstuff, nagging me then the next minute he'l be playful with me and put me in an headlock or something.

Not that you need to know all this anyway Im just bored but yea how are we supposed to know if people want to hug:confused: How do we know they won't be freaked out, say no or something? I know I have rubbish social skills im quite shy.

ReputationRep:
    Just do it, don't ask if you can hug him. It shouldn't be a weird awkward thing!
    Say 'bye, have a good time!' and give him a hug, or 'thanks for helping me out' + hug.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Just do it, don't ask if you can hug him. It shouldn't be a weird awkward thing!
    Say 'bye, have a good time!' and give him a hug, or 'thanks for helping me out' + hug.
    I suppose that is what normal people would do lol, i'l try.

ReputationRep:
    Pick the right moment when he appears to be having a good time, smiling, enjoying your company...

I would let most girls hug me tbh :teeth: I like hugs!

ReputationRep:
    I think asking him will definitely make the situation awkward. Just go in for the hug and hope for the best :tongue:

Just do it.
    Your a girl do its easier for you..............(I can't even remember what it feels like to have a hug).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Just do it.
    Your a girl do its easier for you..............(I can't even remember what it feels like to have a hug).
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Just go for it, or in a slightly light hearted tone say something like "come on give me a hug" when its his last day or something. I dont see any reason why he wouldnt give you hug.

ReputationRep:
    Just do it - he's hardly gonna push u away is he

ReputationRep:
    a hug's a hug i hug everyone even people i only met 10 minutes ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom_tom_tom)
    Just go for it, or in a slightly light hearted tone say something like "come on give me a hug" when its his last day or something. I dont see any reason why he wouldnt give you hug.
    I know but I was thinking maybe he wouldn't want to, maybe he would be slightly disgusted at being too close or something Ive heard loads of guys talk about girls and say 'eu wouldn't go near her with a barge pole'. I know its just a saying but still:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Just do it.

awwww! *virtual hugss*

:hugs:

x

ReputationRep:
    Everyone loves a hug. Try groping him.

I'm not entirely convinced that a guy who frequently hugs his female colleagues, who nags you one minute and then headlocks you the next, sounds like someone you want to be getting hugs from! He sounds like a bit of a freak. If you're looking for weirdness or trouble, go for it, but if you're needing some genuine comfort - do you have some friends who are more consistent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostintime)
    I know but I was thinking maybe he wouldn't want to, maybe he would be slightly disgusted at being too close or something Ive heard loads of guys talk about girls and say 'eu wouldn't go near her with a barge pole'. I know its just a saying but still:o:
    Ah most of the reason that is used it is for a joke (not i nice one i know) I think you have taken it a little but to at face value. He isnt going to recoil in horror at the mention of a hug honestly go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petticoatlove)
    Just do it - he's hardly gonna push u away is he
    This.

I mean, like I personally would ever push a girl away when she hugs me :hugs: It just wouldn't be right...

ReputationRep:
    I know a girl who used to run at me when she wanted a hug. I'd have to brace myself as not to fall over! I wouldn't recommend this tactic but just hug him, don't ask. Its a friendly thing, I don't see anyone really rejecting it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver)
    Everyone loves a hug. Try groping him.
    Not This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    This.

I mean, like I personally would ever push a girl away when she hugs me :hugs: It just wouldn't be right...
    yea you will give one out of politeness and niceness but don't you sometimes think 'oh no she wants a hug but she secretly disgusts me' say she is really ugly, sweaty from rushing about/exersise or whatever? Lol I know it sounds nasty and im looking way too far into it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just hug back if a friend came up and hugged me, but I'm a naturally huggy person anyway :p:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.