Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Its a disadvantage but is it a particularly big risk or something unheard of in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    I saw this article a while back:

NHS facing £700m negligence bill

Is this what you mean or have I misunderstood what you where asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trektor)
    I saw this article a while back:

NHS facing £700m negligence bill

Is this what you mean or have I misunderstood what you where asking?
    I dont mean the NHS as a whole, just individual doctors getting sued

ReputationRep:
    Individual doctors don't get sued for NHS work - the hospital trust/primary care (so the NHS) has liability.

ReputationRep:
    As Spencer said, NHS trusts get sued not individual doctors working for them. This happens a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Whether or not the powers-that-be will then try and screw the doctor over is a different matter...

ReputationRep:
    What's the stats on this? The impression I get from PDS is that most doctors get sued at least once in their career, but is this exaggerated?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by becca2389)
    What's the stats on this? The impression I get from PDS is that most doctors get sued at least once in their career, but is this exaggerated?
    The most recent study (in 2001) estimated that 50% - 65% of physicians will be taken to court at least once during their career; that study was called "When Good Doctors Get Sued." It's not uncommon for doctors to be sued for medical negligence and malpractice of which the majority of claims are based on misdiagnoses, diagnostic errors or delayed diagnosis. Very rarely are doctors made to pay out, however, and the English legal system is often criticised for being heavily biased towards the medical profession.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.