Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been to any of the countries listed above? If so can you tell me whether it would be worth my time visiting them and what sort of areas of interest there are.

I'm planning on going next year for around 2 weeks but I can't decide which country.

I know that I could read some books but that wouldn't be as useful as someone who has actually been there.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Bratislava in 2005 for a week and had a car so was able to drive out of the city and see a bit of the surrounding area as well. I really liked the old town part of Bratislava, it has a really 'nice, quieter Prague' sort of feel to it (well it did in 2005) and was really cheap then. I remember it being very hot so was eating a lot of ice creams (8p a scoop for really nice handmade ice cream) and cold drinks (beer 50p for 0.5l). There's not a HUGE amount of sights to see in the city though, not like other Central European cities like Prague, Budapest etc. Nitra castle outside of Bratislava was impressive, but I've since heard that Spis castle is better. Wasn't that impressed with the countryside around Bratislava, but on the upside it's so close to lots of other places, Vienna is only 60km away after all (can get train, bus or boat down the Danube).

I've also been to the Oslo area of Norway, which I liked, though hasn't got the dramatic scenery that I heard Western Norway has. Expensive!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemini89)
    I went to Bratislava in 2005 for a week and had a car so was able to drive out of the city and see a bit of the surrounding area as well. I really liked the old town part of Bratislava, it has a really 'nice, quieter Prague' sort of feel to it (well it did in 2005) and was really cheap then. I remember it being very hot so was eating a lot of ice creams (8p a scoop for really nice handmade ice cream) and cold drinks (beer 50p for 0.5l). There's not a HUGE amount of sights to see in the city though, not like other Central European cities like Prague, Budapest etc. Nitra castle outside of Bratislava was impressive, but I've since heard that Spis castle is better. Wasn't that impressed with the countryside around Bratislava, but on the upside it's so close to lots of other places, Vienna is only 60km away after all (can get train, bus or boat down the Danube).

I've also been to the Oslo area of Norway, which I liked, though hasn't got the dramatic scenery that I heard Western Norway has. Expensive!!
    Thanks for replying.

Was a week enough because if so should I spend the other week in another country e.g Latvia?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasmc135)
    Thanks for replying.

Was a week enough because if so should I spend the other week in another country e.g Latvia?

Thanks
    To be honest, unless you just like to wander and eat/drink a lot or have a specific interest in Western Slovakia (and want to visit all the local museums etc) there isn't really much reason to stay in Bratislava for longer than 2 nights. I enjoyed my trip, but I can imagine you could actually go there for a day trip and see the sights easily. It has a really nice walkable Old Town area, but if you go much further out there's just lots of Soviet-era housing blocks & not much more...The other main tourist pull of Slovakia is the ski slopes - you didn't say what time of year you're thinking of visiting, but that might be a reason to stay longer.

It would seem a shame to visit Slovakia and then go off to a totally different area, unless again you have a specific desire to visit Latvia in the same trip (but yes, this would be doable). If I was visiting the area again I'd do a three city visit of Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest, though if I had a car I'd probably try and see more of Eastern Slovakia including Spis castle.

ReputationRep:
    If you go to Latvia stay in a hotel in Riga and there will be plenty to do. You can spend a few days at the nearby beach (Jurmala). Then in the centre you can wander around the old town and you get a really good view if you go up to the top of St Peters church and if you’re into Operas then go to the National Opera House. Restaurant wise Lido is worth a visit – there are several dotted around the centre of Riga but the best one is quite a bit out of the centre. In the evenings there are loads of bars everywhere but definitely go to the Sky Bar which is on the top floor of the Reval Hotel.

ReputationRep:
    I just got home from a month in Norway, and I loved it. It's a beautiful country with loads of scenery.

I'd definitely recommend visiting Oslo and Trondheim. If you're into jazz, there's a huge jazz festival in a town called Molde every year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a22)
    If you go to Latvia stay in a hotel in Riga and there will be plenty to do. You can spend a few days at the nearby beach (Jurmala). Then in the centre you can wander around the old town and you get a really good view if you go up to the top of St Peters church and if you’re into Operas then go to the National Opera House. Restaurant wise Lido is worth a visit – there are several dotted around the centre of Riga but the best one is quite a bit out of the centre. In the evenings there are loads of bars everywhere but definitely go to the Sky Bar which is on the top floor of the Reval Hotel.
    Yh, I was thinking about going to Riga because it's the only place I've heard of in Latvia. About the bars, how old do you have to be?

How much would be needed for a good time? €1000 or more?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been to any of the countries listed above? If so can you tell me whether it would be worth my time visiting them and what sort of areas of interest there are.

I'm planning on going next year for around 2 weeks but I can't decide which country.

I know that I could read some books but that wouldn't be as useful as someone who has actually been there.

Thank you.
    I'd easily go for Norway of those, and obviously some time between May-Sep. Bergen, Stavanger and the country.

ReputationRep:
    Yh, I was thinking about going to Riga because it's the only place I've heard of in Latvia. About the bars, how old do you have to be?

Depends on the sort of good time you're looking for. 20 e a day will cover your basic needs (accomm. in a hostel and food) if you're not looking for luxury. I'd say 500 e is more than enough for two weeks in Latvia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisabethbridge)
    Depends on the sort of good time you're looking for. 20 e a day will cover your basic needs (accomm. in a hostel and food) if you're not looking for luxury. I'd say 500 e is more than enough for two weeks in Latvia.
    Thanks, that's brilliant news seen as I'm going into 6th form in September so I won't be earning a huge amount.

ReputationRep:

well i got into all the bars i went to when i was 16... nobody checks ID normally so you should be fine. You will definitely be able to get into the Sky Bar though because i went there when i was about 14 with no problems... Prices used to be really cheap but they have started to go up now so I'm not really sure how much money you would need... it depends on where you go and how often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a22)
    well i got into all the bars i went to when i was 16... nobody checks ID normally so you should be fine. You will definitely be able to get into the Sky Bar though because i went there when i was about 14 with no problems... Prices used to be really cheap but they have started to go up now so I'm not really sure how much money you would need... it depends on where you go and how often.
    Okay thanks, I'll be 17 so it should be ok, seen as I'm over 6ft so yh thanks. Yh prices have been rising due to the introduction of the Euro.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.