Turn on thread page Beta

Running or Cycling? watch

ReputationRep:
    Which is best for toning thighs and bum, running or cycling?

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to say cycling, but I haven't actually got any scientific evidence of any kind to back that up. My guess would be it is purely leg work and your muscles suffer less damage as they are not constantly banging away at the ground. Swimming would also help - you could even use a float so that you have to propel yourself purely with your legs.

ReputationRep:
    The best thing to do for 'toning' is weight training.

Of the two, I'd choose cycling, but that's simply because it's a form of exercise I think is a lot more enjoyable and less likely to result in injuries than running. I understand that cycling places greater emphasis on the quads (front of thighs) whereas running is more focused on the posterior chain (inc. hamstrings and bum).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    The best thing to do for 'toning' is weight training.

Of the two, I'd choose cycling, but that's simply because it's a form of exercise I think is a lot more enjoyable and less likely to result in injuries than running. I understand that cycling places greater emphasis on the quads (front of thighs) whereas running is more focused on the posterior chain (inc. hamstrings and bum).
    Why do people on here have this bee in their bonnet about weights. A good all round exercise program would be best for 'toning', and from personal experience, I have got far more off cycling than I ever have from weights in terms of fat loss. Can't remember the last time I lifted anything in a gym.

If you can swim, why not do triathlon OP? The combination of swimming, biking and running works everything you could want and will shed the fat. Out of the two, I personally would choose cycling as I enjoy it more, but that's the point. Do what motivates you to get out and train. If you're exercising hard, calorie burn wise, its all much of a muchness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironmike)
    Why do people on here have this bee in their bonnet about weights. A good all round exercise program would be best for 'toning', and from personal experience, I have got far more off cycling than I ever have from weights in terms of fat loss. Can't remember the last time I lifted anything in a gym.

If you can swim, why not do triathlon OP? The combination of swimming, biking and running works everything you could want and will shed the fat. Out of the two, I personally would choose cycling as I enjoy it more, but that's the point. Do what motivates you to get out and train. If you're exercising hard, calorie burn wise, its all much of a muchness.
    I appreciate that there are a number of regulars here who will belittle cardiovascular exercise and promote weights perhaps more than they should, but I don't feel that I am one of those - I love cycling and hope to be doing it competetively for my university next year!

I know that an all-round program is probably going to benefit the OP most, which is something I suppose I overlooked because the OP wanted to know which individual exercise was going to be "best" for her goals. That said, the reason I would suggest weight training is because of the muscle building and fat loss that constitute 'toning', people - especially girls - often overlook muscle building. Both cardiovascular exercise and weight will burn fat, and though appropriate cardio will probably be more effective, diet is also a factor here so fat loss is not the difficulty. However, weight training has a very big advantage over cardio when it comes to building muscle.

ReputationRep:
    Thighs - cycling by a mile, however cycling is of close to no use when it comes to the bum, unless you cycle standing. Cycling overall though, you can feel your thighs burning after you're done, it's really efficient.

ReputationRep:
    Just do both? They both have there advantages. I'd say running though unless you cycle a lot...

Weights would also be helpful, for women you only need to do light weights with lots of reps. I dont see the harm of it, you dont do weights for fat loss you do it to develop shape. your looking to tone so you wants to look better? If you just wanted to be healthy you mayaswell just do running/cycling

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.