Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where do you stand on recycling? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you recycle? If you do, is it because you want to save the world? If you don't, would you if it was made easier?

Do you think that by recycling cardboard and plastic we can actually make a difference to the natural resources on this planet? How far can we take recycling, or is it simply doomed?

ReputationRep:
    I recycle a lot, but everyone needs to do it for it to have a marked effect on the world.

I also save water too. Again, kind of pointless when other families use stupidly large amounts of water, offsetting what I do for the good of the planet :no:

Recycling all the way! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I recycle because...well...is there a good reason not to?

I mean yeah, help the world and all that, that is my reason, but I don't see a reason not to other than utter laziness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    kind of pointless when other families use stupidly large amounts of water, offsetting what I do for the good of the planet :no:
    This is how I'm starting to feel. Obviously I'm not going to stop recycling but it seems like I'm wasting my time. Would you agree with water meters for everybody? That might reduce water usage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    is there a good reason not to? ....... other than utter laziness.
    Unfortunately this is most peoples reason. It seems people will not go out of their way to do something that does not benefit them in some way. Where I live recycling pick-up is limited, so we have to walk or drive to a recycling centre. I think this really discourages people.

ReputationRep:
    Sean Lock:
    I do care, I care a lot actually. Well not as much as I used to because I went to America and when I came back I thought what’s the point, why do I bloody bother? Because their consumption levels are so much more extreme. I just feel stupid now, I’m at home, recycling. Washing out marmite pots. ‘Ohh, must get all the marmite out so they don’t have to make another one!’ and they’re drilling for oil in Alaska. I just feel stupid. I feel like I’ve turned up at an earthquake with a dustpan and brush! ‘Can I help at all? Well, you do all that, I’ll do this little bit here… feel better now.’

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    kind of pointless when other families use stupidly large amounts of water, offsetting what I do for the good of the planet :no:
    Not really because before you started recycling, saving water etc. they were still using up the same amount, and will continue to no matter what YOU do. Thus, you are still saving.

Also if there was no recycling etc. campaign, no-one would be doing it. Yet loads of people are and it's possible that it will become the law. We would have not got to this major milestone if no-one was recycling in the first place.

The more people recycle, the more it becomes the 'in' thing, the more people who follow. Whether it's because they have good intentions or they're just sheep.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.