Turn on thread page Beta

Should we execute people that promote religion? watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_244340.html

SEOUL, South Korea — A Christian woman accused of distributing the Bible, a book banned in communist North Korea, was publicly executed last month for the crime, South Korean activists said Friday.

The 33-year-old mother of three, Ri Hyon Ok, also was accused of spying for South Korea and the United States, and of organizing dissidents, a rights group said in Seoul, citing documents obtained from the North.

The Investigative Commission on Crime Against Humanity report included a copy of Ri's government-issued photo ID and said her husband, children and parents were sent to a political prison the day after her June 16 execution.

The claim could not be independently verified Friday, and there has been no mention by the North's official Korean Central News Agency of her case.

But it would mark a harsh turn in the crackdown on religion in North Korea, a country where Christianity once flourished and where the capital, Pyongyang, was known as the "Jerusalem of the East" for the predominance of the Christian faith.

According to its constitution, North Korea guarantees freedom of religion. But in reality, the regime severely restricts religious observance, with the cult of personality created by national founder Kim Il Sung and enjoyed by his son, current leader Kim Jong Il, serving as a virtual state religion. Those who violate religious restrictions are often accused of crimes such as spying or anti-government activities.

The government has authorized four state churches: one Catholic, two Protestant and one Russian Orthodox. However, they cater to foreigners only, and ordinary North Koreans cannot attend the services.

Still, more than 30,000 North Koreans are believed to practice Christianity in hiding – at great personal risk, defectors and activists say.
    Personally, I think the North Koreans are doing it right. But why they have to pussy-foot around it I don't know. Accusing them of 'spying' is just dumb. Why can't we just have a law that makes religion something personal? Anyone that publicises their faith should be given three strikes. Then execution.

Agree or disagree? And give reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I see where you're coming from - when someone has God on their side, nothing's going to stop them. But, execution is a pretty silly suggestion really. I quite like having human and civil rights.

ReputationRep:
    You are absolute scum, mate.

ReputationRep:
    Is the statue of Christ the Redeemer that overlooks Rio a personnel expression of Religion? The Sistine Chapel, the paintings of Ruben's, or Mozart's Requiem? Should we destroy these too?

ReputationRep:
    I can quite honestly say that I am against the idea of religion and consider myself an agnostic. Believing in something when there is no evidence for it, ignoring logic and generally being ignorant of the scientific community is as far as I can see one of the worst things that I can find about mankind. Even worse is that way that these religions are spread through fear and education at such an early age before children are capable of understanding the more complex scientific theories and hence make their own decision.

Although I recognise the part religion has played in our history, I honestly believe that the future world would probably be a better one without organised religions and if any theists still among us believed in supernatyral entities for more logical and understandable reasons.

HOWEVER a religion is different from the religious people themselves. I do not in any way hate religious people because there is (usually) more to a person than their religious beliefs.

I assume that you are an atheist/agnostic and are dead set against the idea of religion. However brutally killing anyone who declares themselves as a theist is simply not only morally wrong but will not even demolish religion anyway. All that is likely to happen is that you will increase the tension between believers and non believers and make progress in worldwide education and understanding of scientific principles (which is what people like you and me should be aiming for) even more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    As a Muslim I am so totally going to be for this....

ReputationRep:
    Executing people for attempting to spread their belief? No.
    Executing people who promote religious intolerance and executions of women and homosexuals? I could turn a blind eye.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't aware freedom of speech was something we should execute people for. You may disagree with what they are saying, but neither you nor the state should be able to stop someone from saying it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    You are absolute scum, mate.
    And the belief held by Muslims, Christians and such, that people who do not believe in their religious teachings are destined for never ending punishment in the afterlife is not scum?

(Original post by Swi1ch)
    Executing people who promote religious intolerance and executions of women and homosexuals? I could turn a blind eye.
    Same.

ReputationRep:
    I am a vehement Atheist, and even I think your comments are superficial and quite disgraceful. Just because religious ideas are now quite insignificant in a 21st century society, you can't prosecute people for trying to propogate what they truly believe to be right. It would just be as wrong as the church prosecuting Galileo during the renaissance, or the Major Generals washing out the Levellers in 1649. You can't stop people from expressing their opinions just because you personally believe them to be wrong.

See, I'm comletely Atheist, but if I had one piece of evidence that was even more substantial than the evidence proving evolution, evidence that could fundamentally destroy religious faith in God around the world ... then still I would not reveal it. You have to consider that the hope these people have, of an afterlife for example, it's a good thing. I wish I could still believe in heaven because it's much easier than knowing the alternative; it personally took me a long time to fully come to terms with there being an eventual end to my conscience. Just let people have their faith, and stop being trying to play devil's advocate on a forum that much be home to many religious people. It's not particularly charitable of you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    Is the statue of Christ the Redeemer a personnel expression of Religion? The Sistine Chapel, the paintings of Ruben's, or Mozart's Requiem? Should we destroy these too?
    Secularists will outdo the religious on every front. And why the hell are you claiming these things to be the work of religion? Do you really know that Mozart wasn't an atheist? It's certainly conveniant for him to be a christian in that day and age.

I don't believe that there's such thing as religious expression. It doesn't make any sense. Unless you're saying religion is motivating these people. In which case there are other, better sources of motivation. MONEY AND POWER.

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing against decent atheists and agnostics but militant secularists and cultural vandals like yourself, I hold in deep contempt.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and no....

Yes, I think it's a good idea, but the rational notions behind atheism also means that I know just how stupid an idea it would be, certainly if generally and very liberally applied.

Now executing those that preach violence and intolerance, I certainly wouldn't object to that. The same with those that espouse racist, homophobic or other intolerant ideas, I'm ever so slightly intolerant of intolerance.

Then of course you need to decide on the sanctity of personal possessions, whether property is indeed theft and so on. The next thing you know, you've managed to establish a fascist dictatorship with massive death camps for everyone that doesn't conform, and ordinary people regularly go missing from the streets.

So, be careful what you wish for. And whilst I would love to see a world where religion has been very violently removed, I don't think that I'd want to live in such a world...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Navras)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_244340.html

Personally, I think the North Koreans are doing it right. But why they have to pussy-foot around it I don't know. Accusing them of 'spying' is just dumb. Why can't we just have a law that makes religion something personal? Anyone that publicises their faith should be given three strikes. Then execution.

Agree or disagree? And give reasons.
    Yeah... basically we need to destroy approximately 75% of all art and historical architecture in this country overnight... great plan... NOT!

Religion is not just a personnel thing, it is also how you see the world. I don't tell people to keep their atheism to theirself, don't tell me to keep my faith to myself. There's nothing wrong with sharing and promoting something which has brought me great joy, supported me when times are bad and what, after all, I believe is the truth. It is not wrng to promote religion!

I mean, beat people or killing them if they don't follow your faith is wrong, but spreading what you see as the truth through peaceful means is not wrong, it is, IMO every humans duty, to share with his fellow man hsi thoughts and beliefs. That is how we get a functioning society here, dude!

ReputationRep:
    My thoughts go out to the family of Ri Hyon Ok and anyone else being persecuted by the north koreans because thet are religious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unrespected_subject_taker)
    My thoughts go out to the family of Ri Hyon Ok and anyone else being persecuted by the north koreans because thet are religious.
    Sure they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammythedodger)
    Yeah... basically we need to destroy approximately 75% of all art and historical architecture in this country overnight... great plan... NOT!
    Religion happened to be around at the same time as this art and historical ******** was made. These things are NOT the work of religion. They are the work of men.

ReputationRep:
    Religion happened to be around at the same time as this art and historical ******** was made. These things are NOT the work of religion. They are the work of men.
    The point the OP made is against the promotion of religion (as far as I could see). Most artwork (pre-1800s) was either for the purpose of promoting religion or simply based on religious settings (which often is to either promote the religion itself or the owner's own belief in his religion). It would indeed be silly to ban people promoting their faith while allowing all the images that promote it to carry on existing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammythedodger)
    The point the OP made is against the promotion of religion (as far as I could see). Most artwork (pre-1800s) was either for the purpose of promoting religion or simply based on religious settings (which often is to either promote the religion itself or the owner's own belief in his religion). It would indeed be silly to ban people promoting their faith while allowing all the images that promote it to carry on existing.
    Who really gives a **** about this art anyway?

Answer: ******s.

Solution: Kill them aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Sure they do.
    May I say what a nasty person you are. You wish to execute the majority of the population of earth ( 90% claim to be religious ) if they so happen to wear a cross of weara headscarf in public.
    I hope I never have to meet you the likes of you in public.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.