Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should we execute people that promote religion? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    Now executing those that preach violence and intolerance, I certainly wouldn't object to that. The same with those that espouse racist, homophobic or other intolerant ideas, I'm ever so slightly intolerant of intolerance.
    Hang on, so you'd execute those that preach intolerance?

Get ready for the chair then, matey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Navras)
    Who really gives a **** about this art anyway?

Answer: ******s.

Solution: Kill them aswell.
    Who really gives a **** about what you say anyway?

Answer: Nobody.

Solution: Kill you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damask)
    Not all of them, but a sizable portion.
    I have never met a Christian or any other religious person who thinks like that. You seem to be very bigoted.

ReputationRep:
    I am a Christian and I don't want atheists to be executed for preaching the opinions/ beliefs. I don't understand where your hatred for religion comes from? You look at religion from a scientifice viewpoint, i.e how the world was made etc. Religion is also about a ethical way to live your life, treating others with respect and helping those in need? Is that such a bad thing?

By the way, before you start banging on about extremism or the Taliban, I'm talking about non-extremist religion. Extremist religion in any form is WRONG!!

Also, Richard Dawkins really grates on me. Ok, you've got your opinion, that's fine. But don't belittle religious people, if he presented his programmes in an informative and netrual way, I might actually listen.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really hate the religious. They just annoy me. And I wouldn't dream of having any of them murdered.

Has been a fun thread though.

ReputationRep:
    No, but I'm biased; I'd be executed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    Is the statue of Christ the Redeemer a personnel expression of Religion? The Sistine Chapel, the paintings of Ruben's, or Mozart's Requiem? Should we destroy these too?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Without substantiating your claim that "yes" is meaningless. And to my mind that attitude betrays a misanthropy and nihilism.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_244340.html

Personally, I think the North Koreans are doing it right. But why they have to pussy-foot around it I don't know. Accusing them of 'spying' is just dumb. Why can't we just have a law that makes religion something personal? Anyone that publicises their faith should be given three strikes. Then execution.

Agree or disagree? And give reasons.
    I would say I agree with you but only if life was that easy......

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Purely for the simple reason that to execute for the belief in something will popularise that opinion more. It'll martyr (quite rightly) those who are killed and strengthen and grow religion as a whole.

You can't catch them all!!

Oh yeah, and it's barbaric

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    I have never met a Christian or any other religious person who thinks like that. You seem to be very bigoted.
    Gay people are systemically executed in eight Muslim-majority countries and the lawmakers in these countries justify this grotesque policy with reference to religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unrespected_subject_taker)
    I'm sure that there will be a lot of richard dawkins stuff I can bring up on this
    It is also a extremist point to a extremist question that if it was the other way round he wouldn't like to be executed
    Richard Dawkins doesn't stand on street corners and shout religious gubbins at people. I'm sure he wouldn't like it if it was the other way around, but as it is, because atheists/humanists/agnostics don't feel the need to convert passers-by, it's a moot point.

ReputationRep:
    Gay people are systemically executed in eight Muslim-majority countries and the lawmakers in these countries justify this grotesque policy with reference to religion.
    Because that is all the religious people in the world. :rolleyes:

And how many Christian countries do this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    And how many Christian countries do this?
    It's true, there are no Christian-majority countries where gay people are systemically murdered - perhaps with the exception of Jamaica. This is because Christianity has evolved into something relatively more humane these past few centuries. However, there's still a lot of discrimination against gay people in religious Christian-majority nations such as Poland.

ReputationRep:
    It's true, there are no Christian-majority countries where gay people are systemically murdered - perhaps with the exception of Jamaica. This is because Christianity has evolved into something relatively more humane these past few centuries. However, there's still a lot of discrimination against gay people in religious Christian-majority nations such as Poland.
    So you admit it then. You're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I believe people who instigate religious hatred should not be killed, but incarcerated. This is the best way. Everybody who walks this planet deserves to be educated in schools (or in another form) about religion. It is up to them whether they follow a religion or not. People are entitled to their own beliefs; but if it gets to a stage where it causes feud and disrupts general peace in public - it needs to be dealt with. Promoting religion in public such as shouting out about jesus/mohammed/krishna in towns is wrong and a WASTE of time. People who do this should be removed and warned, and if they persist - jail them.

Some people turn to (or against) religion when something goes wrong in their lives. Some turn to religion when a miracle happens of some kind in their minds. But this is their own choice and this is how it should be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PGtips92)
    Hang on, so you'd execute those that preach intolerance?

Get ready for the chair then, matey.

So you have spotted one of the flaws in that logic then? As I believe I waffled on, often what you may desire is directly opposite to what you would 'actually' desire. And whilst I would very much love to live in a world free of pointless superstition (including for example my wife's instistance that leaving a shoe upsidedown is unlucky), getting there through violent means is just as bad, and just as illogical as the superstition that you would be trying to stamp out...

ReputationRep:
    This thread is dumb and full of dumb people including OP.
    Haha! Glad you realised! Best not to waste people's time with nonsense threads though. :yy:

Hrm. Dunno about executing. But making unsolicited preaching an offence? Sure, why not? Although I think there are better/more important ways of promoting secularity...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.