Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7CqxJ3tHKQ

ReputationRep:
    Time and place. It teaches them that in the playground with your mates (eg the pub for adults) is fine but infront of grown ups (eg a formal setting for adults) it is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vokes)
    Time and place. It teaches them that in the playground with your mates (eg the pub for adults) is fine but infront of grown ups (eg a formal setting for adults) it is not.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I know everyone swears, but most people swear because they can't find any other way of expressing themselves.

Children aren't children for long enough as it is nowadays.. they don't need to know swear words, they need to remain children as long as possible. Being a child is all about innocence and naive, avoiding the harsh reality of life for as long as possible. Swearing doesn't exactly fall into that category.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    I know everyone swears, but most people swear because they can't find any other way of expressing themselves.

Children aren't children for long enough as it is nowadays.. they don't need to know swear words, they need to remain children as long as possible. Being a child is all about innocence and naive, avoiding the harsh reality of life for as long as possible. Swearing doesn't exactly fall into that category.
    Not everyone swears though; the only place I swear is in the car. Also, another reason children are told not to swear is because they're not old enough to understand when not to swear. Like they can't swear in front of their teacher, in the same way I wouldn't swear in front of my lecturers, and if a drunk person repeatedly swore in front of a policeman they'd risk being arrested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Not everyone swears though; the only place I swear is in the car. Also, another reason children are told not to swear is because they're not old enough to understand when not to swear. Like they can't swear in front of their teacher, in the same way I wouldn't swear in front of my lecturers, and if a drunk person repeatedly swore in front of a policeman they'd risk being arrested.
    Why can't children be taught where to and where not to swear ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool F.C.™)
    What I'm saying is until they can be taught, they should be told not to swear at all. Obviously they'll still swear in the playground (peer pressure and all that).

ReputationRep:
    Its rude, its disrespectful if you use it against someone and shows that you lack vocabulary.

ReputationRep:
    Because swearing in the adult word is usually used in violence
    Yes it can be somewhat 'desirable' to use in adult conversation but the origin of swear words are usually negative.

ReputationRep:
    Explaining things to kids doesnt work most of the time. You need to tell them over and over and over, when or just after they have done it so they associate an action with a consequence.

ReputationRep:
    They'd most likely end up swearing in inappropriate places anyway. Easier just to teach them not to swear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    They'd most likely end up swearing in inappropriate places anyway. Easier just to teach them not to swear.
    Well tbh my question was a bit silly so sorry about that, children don't need to be taught where to swear most are bound to anyways.

But back to the OP's original question, I think it's a bit too late to change what is considered to be 'socially unacceptable' and has been for a very long time. If society as a whole wants to accept it now, it'll feel a bit strange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by My Neg Rep)
    You'd actually condone your child's swearing? How odd! Where are you from? Ah, Preston. Makes sense. I wouldn't expect anything more from someone from such a plebeian area.

I know my 'rep' won't do anything but I thought it necessary to 'neg' you.
    Since I'm now near an actual PC, I'd like to ask again if the person who sent me this neg rep (SloaneRanger.) could come forward, and if there was any reason for it, or they were just trying to find an excuse to rep me? :p:

I'm interested to see where you believe I said that I'd condone my child swearing - not the case at all, as I said in my post, I don't see the point in having words that people can't say, but I would NOT condone swearing because I wouldn't want them to offend or upset others. As I stated earlier, it's about social convention.
    Also wonder where my location comes into it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donnahh)
    Because it's rude?
    I'm terribly sorry to say so, but that's absolute ******** my dear friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemax)
    Its rude, its disrespectful if you use it against someone and shows that you lack vocabulary.
    I have an exceptionally extensive vocalbulary and I love to swear.
    Especially the C word, it's the only one with any sense of taboo left in it.

'Rude' and 'disrespectful' are just arbitrary, subjective labels, and ones that don't bother me.

ReputationRep:
    Swear words have been designed to mean rude things or as insults.. it's not apporiate to hear a child say a swear word as a result. And adults really shouldn't either... but if something hits your food... ****!

Oh. And manners :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemax)
    Stephen Fry on the joys of swearing:

Contains swearing, obviously.

I wager you couldn't tell me what 'otorhinolaryngological', 'floccinaucinihilipilification' or 'operosity' mean without consulting a dictionary. I could tell you though, and I swear all the ****ing time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Stephen Fry on the joys of swearing:

Contains swearing, obviously.

I wager you couldn't tell me what 'otorhinolaryngological', 'floccinaucinihilipilification' or 'operosity' mean without consulting a dictionary. I could tell you though, and I swear all the ****ing time.
    I'm pretty sure you've just won. I'm not surely what exactly, but you've won nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    so that they show respect to their parents?

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought it's weird that when you're a kid, you have to be careful not to swear around adults. When you're an adult, you have to be careful not to swear around kids. It's completely bizarre and non-sensical.

But I'm sure if I ever have kids it will be exactly the same because I've been brainwashed to conform to these ridiculous rules.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.