Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    I ******* knew it!
    I've always said they do! Anyway, feeling broody is actually a nice feeling. Doesn't mean you loose reason/sense/rational thinking however. I definitely do not want a baby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seleneybob)
    I have told him what iv have said on here but i dont think he thinks its such a big deal. He said his dad is like it with everyone, but in told my boyfriend his dad should at least make an effort. It ent a HUGE problem but like iv told my boyfriend it will caurse problems in the future.

Having a baby is diffrent for diffrent people, it can be really hard work! It effects your life in a huge way! but still want a baby.

One day!
    Well, as long as your bf understands that you won't be prepared to be 'cut out' of family life by his dad, in the future (eg marriage, kids etc), that seems to be all you can really do. If I were you I would definitely try talking to his dad about this, as it's likely he us just a grumpy, lonely man who is jealous of anyone who takes up his loved ones' time. I've been through a lot of problems with my partner's family, and I know for certain that if i could only go back, I would just talk to his parents myself, and try to find out what their problem was with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Weed)
    who're you referring to? My husband and I lived together for a while before getting married
    I thought you got married when you were 18? I assumed that you wouldn't have been living together in your own place by that stage.

I am very set in my mind when it comes to when I want to get married. I don't want to even get engaged until I've lived with my partner for at least a year, if I ever get married at all. But if what you've done works for you; great! And good luck for the future.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    I thought you got married when you were 18? I assumed that you wouldn't have been living together in your own place by that stage.

I am very set in my mind when it comes to when I want to get married. I don't want to even get engaged until I've lived with my partner for at least a year, if I ever get married at all. But if what you've done works for you; great! And good luck for the future.

xxx
    My husband and i were living together for about 6 months before we got engaged. I, too, always thought I'd do this and do that when it came to relationships, but when something's right and you know it, there's no point waiting.

ReputationRep:
    get over it by coming across babies who just dont stop crying lol and when you come across 5 year old children who dont do as they're told and are naughty.. so annoying.

ReputationRep:
    My husband and i were living together for about 6 months before we got engaged. I, too, always thought I'd do this and do that when it came to relationships, but when something's right and you know it, there's no point waiting.
    I understand what you mean, but although I am 100% happy with my boyfriend and I am serious about our future, I'm still dead-set on waiting that extra 3-4 years until we can live together until we take the engagement step (if we actually do - I'm still not totally convinced marriage is for me).
    From my perspective, if something's good and you know it'll last, why rush? especially when we're still so young. But as I said before, i totally respect your life choices and I really admire your convictions.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    I understand what you mean, but although I am 100% happy with my boyfriend and I am serious about our future, I'm still dead-set on waiting that extra 3-4 years until we can live together until we take the engagement step (if we actually do - I'm still not totally convinced marriage is for me).
    From my perspective, if something's good and you know it'll last, why rush? especially when we're still so young. But as I said before, i totally respect your life choices and I really admire your convictions.
    xx
    I wouldn't call it 'rushing'. I've always been a girl who believed in marriage and I've always known it was for me, so when I met my OH, who I knew after the first few months, was the person I wanted to be with for the rest of my life, the next step for me was to commit by marrying each other. Like people whose relationships develop over three/four years, and then when they realize they are both ready for marriage, they get engaged etc: but we just knew sooner than that.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, your story's amazing. It really is good to hear that you're in a loving marriage at your age It shows that love really can come along whenever and wherever
    So, on topic. I'm completely and utterly opposite to you OP, I don't think I could ever stand having children. (I'm 16 by the way, a bit younger ) I came on here for a nice little peek on how people do feel when they say they want children. I don't think it has changed my opinion, because I've always thought that I wouldn't be a good mother or put up with hormonal teenagers. I guess some people just have that maternal feel about them
    I wouldn't rush into having children, it must be soo temting for you but you've got to live life a little before you get tied down with kids. As much as you feel children need to be part of your life, there's plenty of time for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomatoKetchup)
    Wow, your story's amazing. It really is good to hear that you're in a loving marriage at your age It shows that love really can come along whenever and wherever
    So, on topic. I'm completely and utterly opposite to you OP, I don't think I could ever stand having children. (I'm 16 by the way, a bit younger ) I came on here for a nice little peek on how people do feel when they say they want children. I don't think it has changed my opinion, because I've always thought that I wouldn't be a good mother or put up with hormonal teenagers. I guess some people just have that maternal feel about them
    I wouldn't rush into having children, it must be soo temting for you but you've got to live life a little before you get tied down with kids. As much as you feel children need to be part of your life, there's plenty of time for that
    Thanks, it's really nice to find people who are so accepting, rather than just immediately criticising us for being 'too young' (grrr I hate that phrase now:p:).

I can't imagine how you feel - I have always known I wanted children, and I'd hate so much I couldn't have them for any reason. Don't worry though, I'm not gonna rush - I want to live my life before, so i can have experience and wisdom to impart to them :p: Why wouldn't you be a good mother? And do you plan to get married or stay with one person for life, or do you like to feel free?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, it's really nice to find people who are so accepting, rather than just immediately criticising us for being 'too young' (grrr I hate that phrase now:p:).

I can't imagine how you feel - I have always known I wanted children, and I'd hate so much I couldn't have them for any reason. Don't worry though, I'm not gonna rush - I want to live my life before, so i can have experience and wisdom to impart to them :p: Why wouldn't you be a good mother? And do you plan to get married or stay with one person for life, or do you like to feel free?
    That's OK.
    Well, to be honest I think I'd just be a silly mother that made bad mistakes for my children, like send them to schools that don't stretch their knowledge, or probably start shouting at them when I lose my temper. I really just don't want a teenager to turn around and tell them I've ruined their life before it's properly began I'M NOT TRYING TO PUT YOU OFF, I'M SURE YOU'D MAKE A GREAT MUM
    I've never really thought of wanting to become married. I think when the ONE comes along and sweeps me off my feet I'd be ashamed of saying all of this about of not having children, but this is how I feel now I guess But in the meantime, I don't feel like this family business is for me... X

ReputationRep:
    I'm very broody and have been for a good few years now, luckily we'll be trying to start a family next year lol! I've just dealt with the broodyness by keeping busy and making sure that we've been doing loads and loads of things that we wouldn't be able to do with kids (mainly we've travelled a lot, bought and completly re-done our house, he's changed careers etc...). I think it's only natural to feel this way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dita_parlo)
    I'm very broody and have been for a good few years now, luckily we'll be trying to start a family next year lol! I've just dealt with the broodyness by keeping busy and making sure that we've been doing loads and loads of things that we wouldn't be able to do with kids (mainly we've travelled a lot, bought and completly re-done our house, he's changed careers etc...). I think it's only natural to feel this way!
    That sounds lovely, how old are you, and how long have you and your partner been together?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 25, he's 27 and we've been together 3 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dita_parlo)
    I'm 25, he's 27 and we've been together 3 years
    Well congratulations and good luck on the forthcoming wedding, and I hope you have many lovely children in the not too distant future! My man and I have just got married, and it's wonderful knowing your with the person you want to spend forever with. We definitely want children, but not for a good 7/8 years, until we've had a chance to get a secure way of life.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    To all of the young girls feeling broody: get a kitten with your partner.

I'm not at all ready for children, and I don't feel like I want one when I look at a small child but I'm another 'young' person in a serious relationship (been together for 15 months, renting a flat together). We decided to get a kitten. She is adorable, but hard work. Multiply that by x1000 and it's how hard a baby would be

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.