Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Agree/Disagree?

Ok, maybe I won't go that far, but its a really bad judge of health. What a lot of people don't realise, too, is that it was never intended to be one either. It doesn't take into account body fat percentage for a start, and of course there are loads of other things going on in your body that it doesn't get anywhere close to touching.

Sure, it can help be a basic guideline to see if you need to gain or lose weight, but from my experience people take it way too seriously. If you're actually worried about your health, don't waste time with BMI, just go to a doctor and get a proper check up.

ReputationRep:
    Well done

ReputationRep:
    it's a basic measure so of course it's very limited in scope and I think most people realise it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vivisteiner)

Sure, it can help be a basic guideline to see if you need to gain or lose weight
    So it isn't a waste of time then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quadruple_twist)
    So it isn't a waste of time then?
    Ok, I exaggerated. Its just I had some people quoting their BMI to me like it defined their health. Twas annoying.

And anyway, its probably is close to being a waste of time - not worth mentioning tbh.

ReputationRep:
    i think if your size is 'normal' according to BMI, you are a normal size - not overweight or underweight according to your height.

ReputationRep:
    I think its a good way to compare different heights. For example, my friend weighs 50 lbs. less than me, but we have the same bmi.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty well known that it's a poor judge of health. It can only ever be taken seriously when someone has a really extreme value, and in these cases you don't need to calculate BMI to see that the person has a problem! Between an Olympic rower with a BMI of 28 and a lazy guy with no muscle mass at a BMI of 22, I somehow doubt that it's the latter who's in better shape.

It's especially irrelevant for a lot of regulars here who are interested in strength-based sports, as male strength athletes are typically going to need a BMI over 25 in order to do half decently.

ReputationRep:
    BMI is crap, especially if you aren't caucasian. Apparently I am nearly overweight according to BMI but I am a size 8/10. They don't explain that enough either so the reading can be very different and therefore misleading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    BMI is crap, especially if you aren't caucasian. Apparently I am nearly overweight according to BMI but I am a size 8/10. They don't explain that enough either so the reading can be very different and therefore misleading.
    Me too. I moaned about this before when the nurse told me to start watching what i was eating based on my bmi.. i was like er.. are you looking at the right person... :p:

BMI = CRAP!

ReputationRep:
    Agreed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vivisteiner)
    Agree/Disagree?

Ok, maybe I won't go that far, but its a really bad judge of health. What a lot of people don't realise, too, is that it was never intended to be one either. It doesn't take into account body fat percentage for a start, and of course there are loads of other things going on in your body that it doesn't get anywhere close to touching.

Sure, it can help be a basic guideline to see if you need to gain or lose weight, but from my experience people take it way too seriously. If you're actually worried about your health, don't waste time with BMI, just go to a doctor and get a proper check up.
    I agree.

It doesn't take into account the difference between muscles and body fat.

Tha't why you should not be surprised when you find out that some of the healthiest athletics have a BMI in the obese region .
    Also, some elders have a very healthy BMI not because they are doing really well but in fact their muscles are shrinking.
    Recently people have started considering waist-to-hip ratio. It's not a random relation but can indicate the balance of LDLs and HDLs in the body which is very important for your health. It's often used as an indicator of the health of a person, and the risk of developing serious health conditions.

ReputationRep:
    The measure of BMI was designed for sedentary people.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.