Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There are two highers I always regret not taking. I was wondering how I would go about self teaching these? My school wouldn't allow it but my local college offers both subjects.

How would I get the NABs and be entered into the final exam? Who would I go to if I needed help with the subject?

The subjects in question are Human Biology and Physics.

I have taken Higher Biology and am currently taking Advanced Higher. I only want to take it because I love biology so much. I know I won't get any extra UCSA points or anything. I want to become a nurse so it'll probs come in handy anyway.

I never took Standard Grade Physics so it would be a crash - self teach. Is that do able? I want to take it because its the only science I never took and I've always been curious.

I'm just looking for advice really, or if this is all just stupid thinking and making pointless work for myself?

I have a pretty full timetable this year - AH art which is ment to have a massive work load, AH Biology, H maths and chemistry resit.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, do you know how much the final exam costs or does it depend on the subject?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about actually self-teaching a subject, I imagine getting your hands on NABs and stuff would be quite tricky.
    But I did crash higher physics and I loved it. I started 5 weeks after everyone else and I found it not too much of a struggle to catch up. So I definetly think it's doable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I'm self teaching 3 subjects out of the 7 I'm taking: an Advanced Higher and 2 Highers..

You have to pay for the final exam. You do it all through your local college, your school has nothing to do with it. Contact the college and get a application form or something for it. "Package" it's called. Then they tell you about the NABs, you come in to sit them also the final exam, you sit it at the college at the appropriate date.
    7 subjects :0 What are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    Thanks, do you know how much the final exam costs or does it depend on the subject?
    If your ask your school nicely they may enter you for the exams for free- They let me do it last year with higher french and this year with AH biology

Though the school already had the nabs and stuff

And Higher human was soooo much better than AH biology, but i think the exams are usually at the same time so you might have a problem there =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoSuis)
    The NABs are available online. Centres get a username and password to log onto a section of the SQA site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoSuis)
    If your ask your school nicely they may enter you for the exams for free- They let me do it last year with higher french and this year with AH biology

And Higher human was soooo much better than AH biology, but i think the exams are usually at the same time so you might have a problem there =/
    :sad: I'm doing Higher Human

ReputationRep:
    you're probably best off emailing your local colleges with your questions and see if they will allow you.

isn't two thirds of the human biology course the same as the biology course, or did i make that up?

ReputationRep:
    Oh bugger. They are at the same time this year... argh.

I'll speak to school about it and see what they say.

Thanks eeryone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    :sad: I'm doing Higher Human
    Why the sad face then? Human Biology rocks:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    you're probably best off emailing your local colleges with your questions and see if they will allow you.

isn't two thirds of the human biology course the same as the biology course, or did i make that up?
    1/3 the same

ReputationRep:
    Oh and my school doesn't offer Human Bio.
    Which sucks...

ReputationRep:
    Seriously don't take Higher Human.. I did it last year in 5th year and it's a waste of time... the 1st unit is the same as biology, 2nd is about all the kidney and the heart and stuff so it's quite interesting but the last unit is about behaviour and A LOT of plant stuff...the human exam actually had more plant stuff than biology from what I heard from my friends that took biology.

You'd be better doing int 2 Physics rather than SG it'll actually mean more to a university than a standard grade despite not being a higher.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say instead of actually enrolling and sitting the Higher Human Biology buy the Higher Human Biology (with answers) book and just work through it at your own pace. You have nothing to gain by enrolling in the course at college and taking time away from more important subjects like AH Biology.

As for physics, again just buy whatever book is used by the schools and colleges. Unless you plan on doing physics at uni or a related subject I wouldn't bother to add the stress of having to pass nabs and the final exam etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaDilemma)
    You'd be better doing int 2 Physics rather than SG it'll actually mean more to a university than a standard grade despite not being a higher.
    She's going to do crash Higher physics. She was asking if this was okay, having not done Standard Grade.

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a problem, you'd just need to know some really basic electronics, some common-sense mechanics, and a handful of very short equations (which you get in the booklet anyway). Even those you would very quickly pick up without having to make any effort. Have you done chemistry? If so, you'll find that helps with some of the course (as you'd expect, more so if you took Higher).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    She's going to do crash Higher physics. She was asking if this was okay, having not done Standard Grade.

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a problem, you'd just need to know some really basic electronics, some common-sense mechanics, and a handful of very short equations (which you get in the booklet anyway). Even those you would very quickly pick up without having to make any effort. Have you done chemistry? If so, you'll find that helps with some of the course (as you'd expect, more so if you took Higher).
    Ahh stupid me I didn't read that bit :rolleyes:

about the Chemistry bit btw, she said that she's retaking it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaDilemma)
    about the Chemistry bit btw, she said that she's retaking it
    Haha, thanks. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I am nearly exactly the same situation as you - except I've finished this year. I did Higher Human and Economics self-taught.

The thing with Human Biology is that there isn't alot of genuine thinking involved (usage of procedural memories as you will come to learn :P) - like Mathematics for instance. You just have to remember a hell of alot of fact. If you put the effort in - it is very easy, and you will surely get a B possibly an A. I have seen so many people in my school take it as skive - they fail outright because they don't work at it. You cannot cruise along in this subject and still get decent results.

As for Physics, I barely scraped a 3 at Standard Grade because I thought it was of no usage to my future and put no effort. Half-way through S5 I realised it was essential to my career! So I sat a whole Higher 3 months. I worked my ass off (my last past paper before the exam I scored 89% I think) but I couldn't have done it without a teacher. So I would say unless you are seriously interested in Physics and have the relevant background knowledge - find another subject.

Hope my spiel helps - S5 is a daunting year.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'll be able to take Higher Human. I'm sitting Advanced Higher Biology at school and if I go to my college and ask to sit the exam, well they clash. I wouldn't be able to be held in isolation either as I would need to get to the college.

As for Physics, I've decided I will crash it if I manage to pass Chemistry because then I won't need to resit and it leaves a spot open in my timetable. If not, which is very likely, I'll let those thoughts slide - I don't need it anyway.

Thanks for the replys everyone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.