Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I have been put into a bit of a dilemma with work.

Basically in 2011 the site i work at is closing; my history is Electrical apprenticeship -> maintenance electrician -> Controls Engineer -> Building Facilities manager and Controls technician.

Now, I support our site utilities controls technician alongside my main role as facilities manager (which takes most of my time at work); I can do his job to a degree but I am by no means an expert.

Now, the company are developing a site in Georgia, USA, I am not in a position to transfer but the Utilities control engineer has applied! Also the Facilities Project engineer leave this Friday!

So i have to make a decision! I have been asked to take the Project job, I have also been asked to fill in for the controls engineer....

Now I dont know what to do. I would love to get into the utilities control system more, but I will be in the deep end and pretty much learning as I go, or I go projects along with what I am currently doing. Projects is also an area I would like to get into as I know there is work out there for projects and also Facilities management - but Id love to get back into the technical field and use my skills more.

My degree is in Electrical and electronic engineering with systems for environmental services, graduating (hopefully) in 2011 - and this would fit in well with both of the jobs so im soooooo confused!!!!!!!

Anyone that can decypher my rambling got any opinions??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.