Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    The rest of your post if fair enough, but this part is total rubbish. If grants don't rise proportionally to the tuition fees then of course it affects affordability. You have to pay your fees, either with a grant or your own cash. No grant, or if the grant doesn't cover the whole fee, then then equals your own cash, many of which don't have such means.
    Have they stopped fee loans from this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurakate1988)
    Also, what if after doing your 1st year paying 3500 or so a year, they jumped up to asking for 7000 in fees for your 2nd year?

on the plus side, they should work on that free course thing though

i reckon a lot of degrees could be taught in 2 years rather than 3 which i imagine could solve a lot of the problems for many concerned...a few unis have started doing this already (google it)
    Youd have a fee loan for 7k rather than 3,500.

It won't happen, just like it didnt when topup fees came in.

They may have higher fees/year www.buckingham.ac.uk/standingout/twoyear

no opportunity to work in the hols either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Why would bursaries also have to increase? accommodation/'other stuff' wouldn't increase in cost because fees rise...
    I was replying to Turdburger post about making top 10 universities private. Then you said they can pay it using bursaries and I was saying that they would also need to increase.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    No, but that isn't really that relevant, there's still the issue of post-uni debt.
    Any sort of post-university debt is somewhat irrelevant since the payment scheme is so low it may as well not even matter. You only pay 9% of your salary above £15,000 annual, which is a tuppence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkness123)
    I was replying to Turdburger post about making top 10 universities private. Then you said they can pay it using bursaries and I was saying that they would also need to increase.
    Sorry it is a bit confused, I was saying there are bursaries in the states. There loans situation is very different

I imagine (no basis) that we'd still have fee loans along the same lines so they weren't payable in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Any sort of post-university debt is somewhat irrelevant since the payment scheme is so low it may as well not even matter. You only pay 9% of your salary above £15,000 annual, which is a tuppence.
    Or 149 quid this month...

ReputationRep:
    It's still totally unfair. OK this thankfully won't happen while I'm at uni, but is it fair that because I have middle class parents I would be forced to pay higher fees even if I had to pay for them entirely myself? Don't they understand that not everyone's bloody parents pay/ contribute toward their fees. In essence I would be in practically the same situation as those with poorer backgrounds but being forced to pay higher fees to allow them to go to uni for free/ cheaply. Something wrong here??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Quady)
    Or 149 quid this month...
    Which means your annual gross salary is £34,866... so not too shabby I would say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Dude, £7000 is ridiculously expensive for something that should be free. I can barely afford to go to university the price it is at the moment, and that's including all the grants I'd get. I don't know what your lifestyle is like, but £7000 is definitely not cheap :p:
    No, it shouldn't be free. It'd be nice, but I don't think you have a right to higher education.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Amanda)
    No, it shouldn't be free. It'd be nice, but I don't think you have a right to higher education.
    I have to say, I fully agree with this. Most things we take for granted, though they're not fundamental rights we're guaranteed to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Which means your annual gross salary is £34,866... so not too shabby I would say!
    Well this months salary extrapolates to that
    Admittedly my basic is only 4,500 less than that so yes its all good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob_dob)
    because I have middle class parents I would be forced to pay higher fees even if I had to pay for them entirely myself? Don't they understand that not everyone's bloody parents pay/ contribute toward their fees.
    Fees are the same for everyone and nothing in that article suggests that situation will change.

So what are you on about?

ReputationRep:
    I'm up for this idea, as long as they get rid of bursaries and grants, there should only be loans. If you wont be able to pay it back you shouldn't go to uni. My parents are 'rich' so I wont get any help, but my parents wont give me any, so I am worse off than if I didn't have parents, its silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wootwootwoot)
    If you wont be able to pay it back you shouldn't go to uni.
    And you would know that how...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    And you would know that how...?
    'shouldn't' equals opinion so I don't have to know it. But aside from my being pedantic, it is my belief that our society has reached the stage where we can't afford for everyone to go to university for the sake of it. Too many people are going who would get more use out of practical/vocational training. And I believe a good test of whether a degree is needed is if you would be able to pay back a loan of such an amout with the job you will get afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Well this months salary extrapolates to that
    Admittedly my basic is only 4,500 less than that so yes its all good.
    Mind if I ask what you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wootwootwoot)
    'shouldn't' equals opinion so I don't have to know it. But aside from my being pedantic, it is my belief that our society has reached the stage where we can't afford for everyone to go to university for the sake of it. Too many people are going who would get more use out of practical/vocational training. And I believe a good test of whether a degree is needed is if you would be able to pay back a loan of such an amout with the job you will get afterwards.
    I mean't how would you know before recieving the service if you could pay back the loan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shayke)
    Mind if I ask what you do?
    10 months into the Civil Service Fast Stream.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Quady)
    10 months into the Civil Service Fast Stream.
    That sounds really great. Out of curiosity, are you in the Economics Fast Stream, Statistics Fast Stream, or just other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    That sounds really great. Out of curiosity, are you in the Economics Fast Stream, Statistics Fast Stream, or just other?
    Technology in Business, curious you missed graduate fast stream out though :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.