Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    An Oxford mathematician once recommended that I buy myself a miniature whiteboard to save paper etc. I have looked at amazon but they have a very limited range, and no frameless/double-sided ones which would be the most convenient. Another website sells what I want, but only in packs of 10. I just want one. Can anyone suggest where to get an A4-sized double-sided frameless whiteboard?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend got his whiteboard from staples i think, any good stationary shop does them!

ReputationRep:
    What did the Cambridge mathmo say?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I don't know about anyone else, but I find I always my handwriting is quite bigger on a whiteboard, so I might suggest one a little larger than A4. Staples have a 60cm by 45cm one. Or look here and go whiteboard crazy with choice.

ReputationRep:
    No idea where to get one but I'd suggest getting at least 2 A4 sized ones since whiteboard pens are chunky and some questions can get pretty long. 1 A3 sized one would be good, but hard to take around with you. Sounds like a good idea though, now I want one, so much of my paper gets scribbled over and thrown away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benwellsday)
    Sounds like a good idea though, now I want one, so much of my paper gets scribbled over and thrown away.
    :teeth: I've got a big A1-sized one on a stand in my room. Although my brother does often rub out/change random lines of working and occasionally doodles the odd phallic-shaped object

ReputationRep:
    If you're just going to use it for working out at home/in your room then if you have a large mirror then I just recommend getting some liquid chalk pens from staples, I use them for physics/maths work and it saves me quite a bit of paper.

That way you wouldn't have to buy a whiteboard too as they can be quite expensive. I picked up a pack of 4 chalk pens in assorted colours for about £5-£6 and they're lasting a long time :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I have a large one on my wall (just a little larger than A1) which my mum 'acquired' from her works. I used it for a while but after a bit the novelty wore off and it was easier to do it on paper - especially when you rub something off accidentally and can't remember quite what it said!

ReputationRep:
    Just use paper. This isn't Africa and if you can afford the internet then you can afford paper. Better yet do the working in your head as that will build brain power.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Well, I definitely agree a whiteboard is a good idea. I have a 5ft * 6ft whiteboard in my room, and it's very useful.

ReputationRep:
    ebay has loads - but get a larger one than A4.
    I use one that is 120cm x 90cm and I find it really useful (a good size too)

Definitely a good idea!

ReputationRep:
    I find that my handwriting absolutely goes to pot writing on a whiteboard with markers, and it's not exactly legible to begin with :|

On the topic of saving paper:

does anyone use a tablet to write maths stuff directly into their PC? i am tempted to get one, but again i'm worried about my handwriting deteriorating into illegible scrawls.

ReputationRep:
    If it´s a really smooth tablet then it´ll feel funny at first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moreiniho)
    What did the Cambridge mathmo say?
    and that matters/is relevant why? :rolleyes:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by around)
    I find that my handwriting absolutely goes to pot writing on a whiteboard with markers, and it's not exactly legible to begin with :|

does anyone use a tablet to write maths stuff directly into their PC? i am tempted to get one, but again i'm worried about my handwriting deteriorating into illegible scrawls.
    Only for writing on msn. Not for anything more than where better software doesn't already exist.

ReputationRep:
    I always wonder whether you actually save anything because i'd have thought the pens are pretty expensive and might run out quite quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Doctoré de Mystéro)
    Guys I actually find the term 'whiteboard' racist and offensive.

Can we all start referring to them as 'penboards' instead from now on please.
    no

PC :nn:

ReputationRep:
    I find laminated card does the job just as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)

better yet, have your entire desk plastered over with whiteboard so you can solve tsrians problems without getting up for paper :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Look in Staples. Or better yet, teh interweb.

They're useful but you will get stick from mates. I speak from experience. :sad:

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.