Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    mine's from ikea, the board is good but the pens they sell are terrible.

ReputationRep:
    The mods are spamming my thread!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely get one for you room. A big on, for the wall.

I bought a small A4 one too, for practicing in the library and on the go, but I don't recommend it. It's particularly frustrating when your working needs more than 1 page of A4. Stick to paper for on-the-go mathing, and get a whiteboard in your room.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the whiteboard inferior to the blackboard. You know blackboards are bigger and its quicker to write on them, plus you don't get the gay after marks of the pen on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Isn't the whiteboard inferior to the blackboard. You know blackboards are bigger and its quicker to write on them, plus you don't get the gay after marks of the pen on them.
    Except after much use, they start going a bit Michael Jackson and start turning white with all the chalk dust.

ReputationRep:
    Would laminating a page have the same effect? That's what some of the ones our school uses for junior classes looks like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    Would laminating a page have the same effect? That's what some of the ones our school uses for junior classes looks like.
    You might have to use a wet wipe marker on a laminate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Except after much use, they start going a bit Michael Jackson and start turning white with all the chalk dust.
    Pfft. That's not the worst of it. It's a carcinogen! Maybe. It'd probably cause something not entirely unlike pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovo lcanoconiosis if you inhale it.

ReputationRep:
    If you look at the cancer rates you will see that blackboards are likely not get cancer because the colour black protects it from UV light damage. Unlike, whiteboards that will likely to get some sort of board cancer because white is crap at reflecting UV light. So yeah, do you really want skin cancer. Choose a blackboard.

:nospam: I'm shocked at the amount of spam (i.e. shockingly bad puns about boards) in this thread.

On topic: Why buy one when you can make one?

I.e.

Get a piece of cardboard (no pun intended) - however big you like.
    Paint it white - if you're rushed for time, just do one side.
    Cover with with clingfilm.

And there you go! Your own whiteboard.

Then you just get a erasable pen or whatever it's called, and get something like a piece of cloth to rub it out. And that's it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    :nospam: I'm shocked at the amount of spam (i.e. shockingly bad puns about boards) in this thread.

On topic: Why buy one when you can make one?

I.e.

Get a piece of cardboard (no pun intended) - however big you like.
    Paint it white - if you're rushed for time, just do one side.
    Cover with with clingfilm.

And there you go! Your own whiteboard.

Then you just get a erasable pen or whatever it's called, and get something like a piece of cloth to rub it out. And that's it!
    Because he can afford one/he wants one?

(Original post by Simplicity)
    If you look at the cancer rates you will see that blackboards are likely not get cancer because the colour black protects it from UV light damage. Unlike, whiteboards that will likely to get some sort of board cancer because white is crap at reflecting UV light. So yeah, do you really want skin cancer. Choose a blackboard.
    People usually use boards inside...

I have both a blackboard and a whiteboard and I find the whiteboard better. Chalk dust gets irritating.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the just thought of someone scratching a chalk board with nails is painful. Also, I really wouldn't want to get chalk on hand.

P.S. Anyway, buy one of them projector interactive boards.

ReputationRep:
    Mod: As someone has complained (not the OP), I've moved the joke posts to a new thread. Sensible posts only here please!

ReputationRep:
    I found this for you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nobo-SlimLin...873993&sr=8-24

A smaller board would be good if you're just making notes quickly and with less mess than paper. If you need a big fat board because you're going to be writing your life story on it or something, it'd probably just be better to use paper (if a little less impressive to spectators).

I just saw it wasn't double sided... so just write small i guess.

ReputationRep:
    I use glass - OHP pens to write on it - wet wipes to clean it. I have mounted two A2 sheets (from picture frames) to my desk using adhesive pads. I'd rather have a wall mounted whiteboard but I am limited with space and an A4 board just is not big enough.

I thought about using mirrors, but I really do not think I would want to look at myself all day.

ReputationRep:
    Are these relevant? The minimum order is £10, though, and once you add on P&P and stuff, you'd have to spend about £15.
    Ebay might be more cost-effective.

I don't mean to sound silly, but surely a double-sided one isn't much use if you want to keep the information on the back, because as soon as you rest the board on anything, you'll risk smudging your work? I tend to just staple together used paper with one side free, and work through the clear sides to use it all up. Envelopes are also great... :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.