Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My current position:

AS Biology awaiting result- (predicted an A)

BTEC National Certificate in Sport - (average grade due to personal problems and the fact that I found the course painfully tedious.)

When I was sixteen, I decided to take on a BTEC in sport, along with AS biology in my second year. I have since then, decided to ditch a career in sport and embark on a career in medicine.

Thus next year I’ll be studying A2 Biology, AS Chemistry and AS Physics.

As I would be nineteen by September, doing the chemistry and physics will cost unless they are my first level 3 qualification. Therefore the only way around not paying to do my A levels is to reject the BTEC (level 3 qualification) I previously studied for the past two years.

Does anybody think doing so would be a good idea?

I’m aware of the fact that BTECs (of average grade especially) have little weight, if any, towards a medicine application, but it would just seem like such a waste of two years to just reject the qualification.

Advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I think the best thing you can do is check how much the A-levels will cost and then weigh this up against the potential of carrying out with the BTEC qualification. Do check also that you able to reject the qualification and still claim funding for doing a level 3 course - I'm not sure if this is the case. There are other options to, such as private tuition. You can usually enter the exams as a Private Candidate, but may need somewhere to carry out practical assessments. I think the OCR specification is best for this in terms of science. You may also consider signing up to a distance learning course. This way, you can pay monthly, but this could be a rather isolating experience.

The BTEC qualification can be listed on your UCAS form and it is better than no qualification at all, but for medicine it is important to demonstrate a high level of commitment. This can be achieved by doing the A-levels, but perhaps it is worth considering where you hope to be in the future before making a final decision.

If you need more advice, do post again.

Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.