Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does this sound about right:

The best way to burn fat is through cardio; and the best time to burn fat is first thing in the morning, before breakfast, and after the first ten minutes of actually "working out"?

What else can I do to aid burning fat? Drinking plenty of water? Not eating before/after a certain time?

ReputationRep:
    No. you'll burn fat in the morning because you haven't eaten anything for hours, and so the body is using it's reserves. but you'll also be burning off a ton of muscle at the same time.

the best fat burning exercises you can do are: weight lifting and HIIT.

and you should do them half an hour AFTER eating a snack, and should eat a meal around half an hour AFTER working out.

and the burning muscle thing is bad, because it means, if you go back to your normal eating regime, you'll gain fat much faster (as muscle is your best source of calorie burning)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoshifumu)
    No. you'll burn fat in the morning because you haven't eaten anything for hours, and so the body is using it's reserves. but you'll also be burning off a ton of muscle at the same time.

the best fat burning exercises you can do are: weight lifting and HIIT.

and you should do them half an hour AFTER eating a snack, and should eat a meal around half an hour AFTER working out.

and the burning muscle thing is bad, because it means, if you go back to your normal eating regime, you'll gain fat much faster (as muscle is your best source of calorie burning)
    yeah this is spot on.

I used to do HIIT on a bike in the gym. 15 second sprint as hard as i could go followed by 45 seconds at a much slower pace. used do do this 10 times in a row. proper shreds fat plus it doesnt take long at all! you have to really put in the effort though.

The thing with HIIT is that supposedly it spikes the basal metabolic rate for about 24 hours after the excercise so you end up burning off a load of fat

ReputationRep:
    why will exercising in the morning, before breakfast, burn muscle?

So I should eat my porridge.. wait half an hour, then go to the gym and get on with my usual routine?

I'm currently doing ten minutes of cardio on three different machines (so thirty minutes altogether). What can I do to increase the "fat burning" of this..?

e.g., If I wanted to try HIIT, how would I do it?

ReputationRep:
    do sprintervals, so like 10 seconds really going for it, as fast/hard as you can, then 20 seconds at a much slower pace to give yourself a bit of time to recover, and then BAM back to 10 seconds of sprinting
    repeat.

(a side note - i would really love to say i invented the term "sprintervals" because i thought i had, then i found out i hadn't because someone else invented it first)

ReputationRep:
    Use HIIT, unless you are over 30 or in really poor health then you'll have to watch your heart rate.

ReputationRep:
    High Intensity Interval Training!

I exercise before breakfast never realised there was anything wrong with this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenboy)
    why will exercising in the morning, before breakfast, burn muscle?

So I should eat my porridge.. wait half an hour, then go to the gym and get on with my usual routine?

I'm currently doing ten minutes of cardio on three different machines (so thirty minutes altogether). What can I do to increase the "fat burning" of this..?

e.g., If I wanted to try HIIT, how would I do it?
    the muscle burn thing is because after sleep, you've had up to around 12 hours without any food. normally you feel hungry after around 2-3 hours (depending on the person). as a result your body is low on glycogen stores, and uses primarily fats for energy. however there is a third source of energy, which is your muscles. As your muscles use a lot of energy to work, your body sees this as wasteful. conveniently they're also easier to burn for energy than fat. as a result, the body tends to start burning muscle for energy after a period of time. so when you wake up, you're burning muscle and fat, and exercising just means your body is going to burn muscle faster. by eating breakfast you replenish the energy stores, like glycogen, and the muscle burn will slow/stop.

HIIT is simple, just any cardio machine, do it as hard as you can for an amount of time/distance, then either stop and rest for a bit, or slow it down to an easily manageable pace. after a period of rest, speed it up again. repeat for so many minutes.

If your doing LISS (what you are doing atm) you want to keep it up for 40+ minutes to get a decent fat burn.

ReputationRep:
    You wont get any better advice than that given already by yosh, so take that on-board.

ReputationRep:
    the muscle burn thing is because after sleep, you've had up to around 12 hours without any food. normally you feel hungry after around 2-3 hours (depending on the person). as a result your body is low on glycogen stores, and uses primarily fats for energy. however there is a third source of energy, which is your muscles. As your muscles use a lot of energy to work, your body sees this as wasteful. conveniently they're also easier to burn for energy than fat. as a result, the body tends to start burning muscle for energy after a period of time. so when you wake up, you're burning muscle and fat, and exercising just means your body is going to burn muscle faster. by eating breakfast you replenish the energy stores, like glycogen, and the muscle burn will slow/stop.
    Surely this applies to someone who isn't oveweight though, if the person has a high percentage of fat, the body will primarily use fat then move to muscle as a "last resort".

Its like when you physically starve the body AKA a water fast, you continually lose fat until eventually you start to lose muscle which is obviously when it becomes dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    sorry for slight thread hi-jack but can I just ask iv been running up a realy steep hill full out for about 20 seconds then jogging back down about 5-6 times, will this be burning fat?? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haydoncrewduk)
    sorry for slight thread hi-jack but can I just ask iv been running up a realy steep hill full out for about 20 seconds then jogging back down about 5-6 times, will this be burning fat?? thanks
    That sounds like a good way of doing HIIT which is known for being an effecient way of dropping fat, so I imagine it's pretty decent. If possible, maybe go for a few more reps, but I know how difficult hill sprints are so you might be knackered after just that!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i've been going to the gym now for about 3 weeks. I'll go on the (as i call it, skier machine) for 1 minute normal then 30 seconds on a harder setting and repeat for 15mins. Will this sort of thing defo help me lose weight?

I go on rowing machine and bikes too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tucker672)
    Surely this applies to someone who isn't oveweight though, if the person has a high percentage of fat, the body will primarily use fat then move to muscle as a "last resort".

Its like when you physically starve the body AKA a water fast, you continually lose fat until eventually you start to lose muscle which is obviously when it becomes dangerous.
    a water fast is ******** in my opinion. you lose water, so you burn fat to compensate. the burning of fat requires water in the first place, so all you do is lose water weight, become severely dehdrated, and do no good for your body.

The thing about fat people burning fat not muscle. that would be a lazy mans paradise, because as soon as we gained fat, we'd burn it off.

not so. the body sees it as so:

Muscle = uses lots of energy, and most of the time isn't necessary (ignoring most gym bunny arguments, vast quantaties of muscle are not needed, and if you're sedentary enough to become obese, you probably don't need much at all). as a result it 'wastes' precious bodily resources.

Fat = low maintenance, doesn't use much energy, and the body likes it because it can be used as a store in drastic times.

Another difference is that muscle burns easier than fat.

As a result, when a fat person diets badly, they start to lose muscle and fat. doesn't matter how overweight or whatever they are, they lose both. The muscle is burnt because, to put it simply, it's more cost effective to the body.

However if you diet well, within limits, and continue exercise, your muscle becomes necessary because it is used, and fat is used up for energy to maintain muscle.

Sadly this is true the other way round, for those wanting to gain muscle. it's a fairly long and arduous process to do a 'clean' bulk (muscle gain without fat gain) the fastest way is to do a 'dirty' bulk, where you gain fat and muscle at an approx. 1:1 ratio. and then do a cut, to get rid of the fat.

Fat and muscle have a complex relationship, but you can safely assume that in most cases, if fat is involved, muscle is going to be as well.

Just as an addition, theres a phrase about how the first diet is the easiest, then every consecutive diet is harder. this is because people diet badly, and lose muscle weight, which they never regain. because they lose the stuff in their body that burns the most calories, their metabolism drops, and it takes less to get them fatter, and therefore more effort to lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    I have a question, I've been doing cardio for a little over a month now, 4-5 days a week at 30-45 mins each, I normally vary the speed during the session and I'm knackered after each it. I have also been maintaining a healthy diet as well as doing weightlifting. But I see little/no result after a month in terms of fat loss. I only have skinny fat around my waist and want to get rid of it, so I'm wondering how long it'll take before I see visible result, is it just a matter of being patient? Or perhaps I need to increase my cardio workout?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cristiano12)
    I have a question, I've been doing cardio for a little over a month now, 4-5 days a week at 30-45 mins each, I normally vary the speed during the session and I'm knackered after each it. I have also been maintaining a healthy diet as well as doing weightlifting. But I see little/no result after a month in terms of fat loss. I only have skinny fat around my waist and want to get rid of it, so I'm wondering how long it'll take before I see visible result, is it just a matter of being patient? Or perhaps I need to increase my cardio workout?
    Good results do take time to see unfortunately.

Read some of the previous tips in this thread, HIIT is excellent for getting rid of the excess fat around the stomach, remember to keep up the weights though, otherwise you'll just lose muscle mass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cristiano12)
    good results take time, but you can still see some in a month, and within 8 weeks you should definitely notice the difference.

You could be overtraining, i don't think cardio that leaves you 'knackered' 4-5 times a week is necesarily good for you. but tbh that depends on what you mean by knackered and how you perform.

how often you do weights as well? and what kinda routine you on?

the fat thing though, there is only one way to LOSE fat, and thats creating a calorie deficit. (you can find out how many calories you need using the harris-benedict equation) if your not eating 500-1000 below your bmr/maintenance rate then you aren't losing weight, or atleast not fast.

exercise is only a supplement to raise your metabolism, making a deficit easier.

ReputationRep:

the fat thing though, there is only one way to LOSE fat, and thats creating a calorie deficit. (you can find out how many calories you need using the harris-benedict equation) if your not eating 500-1000 below your bmr/maintenance rate then you aren't losing weight, or atleast not fast.

exercise is only a supplement to raise your metabolism, making a deficit easier.
    What he said. Doing lots of cardio wont make you lose weight. You need to have a calorie deficit.

I do cardio to help with my CV fitness so I dont completely die when I (eventually) return to rugby. And so I can eat a bit more food and still be in deficit.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hijack the thread but this has me a bit worried.. My plan for weight loss (I'm a few stone overweight) was to go for a 45 minute run each morning on the treadmill and then alternate between HIIT and weights in the evening? Would the morning cardio be counter productive?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shomm)
    Sorry to hijack the thread but this has me a bit worried.. My plan for weight loss (I'm a few stone overweight) was to go for a 45 minute run each morning on the treadmill and then alternate between HIIT and weights in the evening? Would the morning cardio be counter productive?

thanks
    i'm not sure how much it'd take to overtrain, but you have more than enough going for you if your doing hiit and weights 3 times a week.

my recommendation is do some light cardio on you're rest days. it'll spike your metabolism a little bit, but will also speed up recovery from weights and all that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.