Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    delete please

ReputationRep:
    Another 'rah' thread... I see.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you need to tell people what money you are getting?

for Rah see: http://www.jackwills.com/Store/Browse.aspx?Gender=9

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone from Exeter is "Rah". I live near Exeter and go there most weekends, and it's such a lovely city.

You will probably get "Rah" in every city, but you will also find plenty of other different types of people.

And I wouldn't recommend lying about your grants, Exeter isn't particularly posh. I would say Exeter is different to other cities, as it's much smaller and historical... I'm not quite sure how to word this!There are definitely some rough areas, especially on a night out, just like there are in any other city.

Stop worrying about it and be proud that you got into such a nice uni and will be living in a lovely city

ReputationRep:
    I'm from a similar background to you and I'm sure there will be plenty of others who are not at all posh.

However, I'm looking forward to making friends with people from all sorts of backgrounds. I don't intend to judge them on how much their parents earn and I don't expect to be judged that way either.

ReputationRep:
    Really don't worry about it. Rah =/= not a problem. You want to avoid them, you can - very easily. Grants - not worth lying about. People seem to grow up a bit in Uni - I personally would prefer it a lot if I wasn't getting my grants and things, and yes I am a bit jealous of my boyfriend and his housemate who get more grants and help than me, but ti's no biggie. In the end I'm the one who helping my boyfriend out of his overdraft rather than the other way around!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't make stuff up about your situation because of what you think other people might think - for one thing, anyone who genuinely thinks less of you because you aren't rolling in cash is a muppet, and for another, that's the kind of pretence that's hard to maintain.

Are there some people in Exeter who are comfortably off, yes; but I know any number of people who aren't, who budget carefully and work to make ends meet.

What are your accommodation choices? You'll meet people from all kinds of backgrounds anywhere, but where you live can make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Let me guess this straight: you're worried about there being rahs, who usually come from private schools, but you're also worried about being the only person from a private school? So one way or another you'll be disappointed

ReputationRep:
    Being from a working class background at Exeter is a crime punishable by death on the spot. Be aware!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claudia7)
    Hi,

Been reading threads and everyone's refering to Exeter as "Rah", not sure what this means? Is it like posh? I'm a bit worried I might not fit in, because my family has like less than no money, and i'm recieving grants and stuff so worried I might be resented?

Would it be a better idea to pretend I'm not recieving grants? I've already had grief from my friends (all of whom are quite a lot more well off than me) jealous I get EMA and will get grants because "Its not fair you (I) get free money just cause your (my) parents are divorced and your (my) mum's job doesn't pay well"

They are also ridiculously jealous because they thought I got favoured by Universities because I am the first in my family (ever) to go to uni whereas everyone from their's have been, and they thought to fill quotas or w/e my application would be favoured even though (direct quote) "You (me) aren't really as clever as me (her)" from my 'best friend'.

Also I come from a public school, will I be the only one? Also any other tips on friend making?

(not sure y this would be relevant but in case, i'm 18 & hoping to study economics)

Thank-you for reading

xx
    You're not on your own honey, I'm 18, doing accouting and finance, first person in my family ever to go to uni, and better yet one of only three to have A-Levels, single parent family, loads of grants and top loans, we're essentially the same.
    Tell your mates to p1ss right off, you worked for your place, anyway i'm not goiing to bother to pretend my family isn't poor, like i care what sojme stuck up snob thinks of me, i'm looking forward to it and as far as i'm concerned Exeter isn't as rah as Durham, so ...meh

ReputationRep:
    Claudia I have a very similar background to yourself, firstly i personally don't think it's anyone elses business about our financial life, but hey i wouldn't care what people think of you anyway, you'll make friends, if the rest want to be haters let them

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Been reading threads and everyone's refering to Exeter as "Rah", not sure what this means? Is it like posh? I'm a bit worried I might not fit in, because my family has like less than no money, and i'm recieving grants and stuff so worried I might be resented?

Would it be a better idea to pretend I'm not recieving grants? I've already had grief from my friends (all of whom are quite a lot more well off than me) jealous I get EMA and will get grants because "Its not fair you (I) get free money just cause your (my) parents are divorced and your (my) mum's job doesn't pay well"

They are also ridiculously jealous because they thought I got favoured by Universities because I am the first in my family (ever) to go to uni whereas everyone from their's have been, and they thought to fill quotas or w/e my application would be favoured even though (direct quote) "You (me) aren't really as clever as me (her)" from my 'best friend'.

Also I come from a public school, will I be the only one? Also any other tips on friend making?

(not sure y this would be relevant but in case, i'm 18 & hoping to study economics)

Thank-you for reading

xx
    Hi there,

I am from exeter but I dont attend the university, I know about the people there and visit several times. Firstly I dont think you should be so worried because exeter uni is a great place to study at, also there is a great and diverse community of students there, im sure you'll get along fine. People say there are lots of Rahs there, and there are, but there are equal amounts of people just like you and me who arent rah. Exeter uni is filled with plenty of good societies, and I'm sure you'll have a great time. Also, you're friends should be supportive of you, and not so rude in my opinion. I wouldnt take that kinda cheek. Have a great time in uni Don't pretend to be anyone but yourself, those who judge arent worth the time, and there wont be very many who'll judge

(hope this helps)
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting full grants too! And when I had EMA I just said to my friends 'I can't help being poor.' haha

Dont worry about it, I'm praying im not the only norm too!

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to go into my final year at Exeter, and have never been asked about my private finances, and if it has come up in conversation with friends, no one has ever judged, friends shouldn't!
    As for the rahs, yes they exist, but they're easy to avoid, I've managed it for three years

ReputationRep:

Also I come from a state school, will I be the only one? Also any other tips on friend making?
    Hey! I had some of the same fears when I first started reading the Exeter board on TSR> Except I almost didn't choose Exeter for fear I'd be classified as a 'RAH' even though neither of my parents went to university.(My daddy played pro european hockey and builds swimming pools for a living. My mom was a police officer and now works with my daddy.)
    We are not posh by any means.(<-lol, so very english)
    In Canada I went to a public high school (which if I understand correctly is the equivalent of a 'state school') I live in a hick country bumpkin town and no one except the English immigrants in the city have ever heard of Exeter.

I'll be your friend lol. Not that you'll go seaching out international students-I'm sure we'll have a stigma attached to us about being loaded because of the extortionate tuition fees we pay. I highly doubt after the first few weeks, anyone will care where you're from, how much your family has, what your parents make, what cars you drive, where you went to school, and what not. And I'm sure between accommodation, classes, part-time jobs, societies, and whatnot you'll have no trouble making friends!

ReputationRep:
    Meh I'm not bothered. Yes there will be 'rahs', but you get all sorts everywhere. As bad as it seems you can usually decide pretty soon if you're going to like someone or not. Just ignore the type who seem to think that how much you earn is relevant!

And in case anyone is interested I'm getting grants too, am technically not English (Australian! :p:) and am the first person in my family to ever go to uni. So yeah, you're not on your own OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calon Lan)
    I'm about to go into my final year at Exeter, and have never been asked about my private finances, and if it has come up in conversation with friends, no one has ever judged, friends shouldn't!
    As for the rahs, yes they exist, but they're easy to avoid, I've managed it for three years
    Wow, Calon Lan, you're alive?! And you're in your final year now?! Whoa :eek3:

OP - seriously, don't stress about it. It's only a problem with a few people who aren't worth knowing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure Rah's aren't unique to Exeter. According to the media, those from more wealthy backgrounds are more likely to achieve higher grades and attend more traditional universities. Given that Exeter's typical offer is something like AAA-ABB, placing it around 27th in the UK for average UCAS points per student, there must be around 30 other universities like Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Wow, Calon Lan, you're alive?! And you're in your final year now?! Whoa :eek3:
    Haha yes indeed I am alive!! Kind of neglected this place during my year abroad......

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.