20 weeeks school links project for yr 10 in FE

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Sheri Kurowski
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi all, (sorry if this is long) I have gritted my teeth, bit the bullet and very trepidently (sp?)
agreed to take on a class of 7 year10's and teach them electronics and Technology for 20 weeks at my
FE college as part of a school links project.

The students are foundation year 10's with several having learning difficulties (one is known to
have mild autism). I will have a learning support teacher in with me.

At the mo, I'm trying to compile a SOW that will make for a very good learning experience for all,
capable of being sustained over 20 weeks.

My initial ideas is to get them all to build a computer from scratch, install windows and office
and then use their machines to have fun with basic publishing (all done on their self-built pc's) I
teach pc building and I have taught /adults/ with learning difficulties and they have really
enjoyed the task.

Question is, would this task be appropriate for year 10 foundation students? I think it will as it
holds intrinsic interest for the lads. However, you all have much more expereince than I, of this
age group.

This task will take approximately 8 weeks max. Another 4 weeks could be spent etching their own
PCB's, and building their circuits to make their own electronic organ which they can then take home
with them. I am a bit wary of them using soldering irons, though. Will setting down classroom rules
and stressing Health and Safety be enough for us all to be safe? Is /this/ an appropriate task for
my year 10's.

Does anyone have any other ideas for IT and Electronics tasks that could be more appropriate for
these students or am I already on the right lines or way off base.

Thanks for your patience in reading this post TIA Regards Sheri

--
Extract "yourtooth" to reply

"Keyboard error" Press F1 to continue
Jo L
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I would do a variety of open-ended assignments, e.g. 5 four week projects, or maybe some 2 week
ones as well.

Jo
Sheri Kurowski
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Jo L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> I would do a variety of open-ended assignments, e.g. 5 four week projects, or maybe some 2 week[/q1]
[q1]> ones as well.[/q1]

Thanks, Jo. I understand that I need short projects but surely it depends on the task. I mean if
they spent 4 weeks soldering, that would be boring for them, whereas an 8 week building project
could be more interesting. A guide to the kind of tasks this age group and ability could handle
would be useful, but thanks for trying ;-) Regards Sheri
Witchee Poo
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
sheri kurowski's bit: <big snip>

[q1]>This task will take approximately 8 weeks max. Another 4 weeks could be spent etching their own[/q1]
[q1]>PCB's, and building their circuits to make their own electronic organ which they can then take home[/q1]
[q1]>with them. I am a bit wary of them using soldering irons, though. Will setting down classroom rules[/q1]
[q1]>and stressing Health and Safety be enough for us all to be safe? Is /this/ an appropriate task for[/q1]
[q1]>my year 10's.[/q1]

Soldering irons shouldn't be an issue with children in Y10, they might have used them in D&T in KS3,
too. They should be used to working within rules in an electronics lab., and won't be surprised to
hear you give your spiel. Stress safety until *you* are satisfied.

Perhaps the lads have used Croc Clips and/or PIC Logicator...?

Do you have them all day and everyday, for the 20 weeks?

[q1]>Does anyone have any other ideas for IT and Electronics tasks that could be more appropriate for[/q1]
[q1]>these students or am I already on the right lines or way off base.[/q1]

I haven't followed sorry how this experience can be used in terms of their D&T foundation cert.
--
Witchee
Jo L
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"sheri kurowski" <sheri [email protected] .uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "Jo L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> > I would do a variety of open-ended assignments, e.g. 5 four week[/q2]
projects,
[q2]> > or maybe some 2 week ones as well.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Thanks, Jo. I understand that I need short projects but surely it depends[/q1]
on
[q1]> the task. I mean if they spent 4 weeks soldering, that would be boring[/q1]
for
[q1]> them, whereas an 8 week building project could be more interesting. A[/q1]
guide
[q1]> to the kind of tasks this age group and ability could handle would be useful, but thanks for[/q1]
[q1]> trying ;-) Regards Sheri[/q1]

Yeah but surely they could be making something while soldering? (i.e. something final and useful
rather than just exercises in soldering!) (I am a maths teacher not a tech teacher, so actual help i
can't give!)

Jo
Witchee Poo
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
sheri kurowski's bit:

[q2]>> Do you have them all day and everyday, for the 20 weeks?[/q2]
[q1]>No, I just have them for 3 hours on a Friday morning for 20 weeks[/q1]
I hadn't thought so, but I was struggling to find it. <g>

[q1]>They will get a College certifiate on course completion.[/q1]
Is it GCSE D&T [Foundation] the youngsters are studying at school? Why I ask is... this great
opportunity might complement the formal criterion of GCSE *and* your own college cert.

[q1]>These are foundation year 10, some with special learning difficulties.[/q1]
And will thoroughly enjoy it I'm sure.

--
Witchee
Sheri Kurowski
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Witchee Poo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news[email protected]...

[q2]>> Perhaps the lads have used Croc Clips and/or PIC Logicator...?[/q2]

Oh, thanks Witchee Poo! I'd forgotten about croc clips!! I've got a copy and will definately include
this in one of my tasks. They will install and use it on their own built PC's! Thanks again
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Do you have them all day and everyday, for the 20 weeks?[/q1]

No, I just have them for 3 hours on a Friday morning for 20 weeks

[q2]>> I haven't followed sorry how this experience can be used in terms of[/q2]
[q1]> their D&T foundation cert.[/q1]

I am a curriculum leader of IT and Electronics at an FE college. I also teach IT, PC hardware
maintenance and electronics. This is a new school links project where 8 students from a local school
experience tertiary learning in FE. They will get a College certifiate on course completion. These
are foundation year 10, some with special learning difficulties.

Thanks for your very useful suggestions Witchee Poo, much appreciated

Regards Sheri
Sheri Kurowski
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Witchee Poo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Is it GCSE D&T [Foundation] the youngsters are studying at school? Why I ask is... this great[/q1]
[q1]> opportunity might complement the formal criterion of GCSE *and* your own college cert.[/q1]

Now you mention it....I don't honestly know!!!! How I got involved was because this school was
sending their students for afternoon cookery lessons to our college! A colleague of mine who's
faculty is catering, happened to mention this and I suggested if the school would like to get
involved in sending other pupils for an electronics/IT class at the college. I spoke to a couple of
teachers...special needs teachers, invited them down to have a look at my workshop and then set up
the class for September.

Witchee Poo, you have made me ask the question now!!! I did have a feeling that these are students
who have been taken out of mainstream examinable classes and needed something to occupy themselves
on a friday! Friday was their only available day. I do believe this is an "extra-curricular"
activity for them. Thanks for your insights Regards Sheri
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
34.14%
No (519)
65.86%

Watched Threads