Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For all those with private accomodation... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Warning - Slightly boring!)

M an international student and i am trying to figure out how much will i need next year for all my expenses. So here comes the list of questions....

1) How much is your rent?
    2) How far do you live from the university?
    3) How much do you spend travelling to and from uni and by which method (bus,tube,etc)
    4) How much do you spend on gas, water and electricity?
    5) And, what about the internet? How much do you spend on it?
    6) Phone bill?

Any other expenses (excluding clothing and food)? i dont think we have to pay tax..do we? Anyways, i think ill live in halls for the first couple of months or so to get familiar with the place but dont think i can afford it after that..its expensive! So any help or advice from you will be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    1) Was 300 quid in my second year, 240 in my third
    2) 15 minutes walk
    3) Walking
    4) 20 quid a month? Not sure to be honest, we all put 100 quid in a separate bank account and the bills got paid out of there, then when money got low, we all put the money in again
    5) 30 quid a month, split between housemates
    6) Really no point getting a communal phone, my mobile is 30 quid a month.

No tax until you're earning over 6k a year (very unlikely). How are you able to live in halls for the first couple of months? Not sure I ever heard of anyone being able to do that. Meh. Renting on your own would be WAY more expensive than living in halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melana)
    1) Was 300 quid in my second year, 240 in my third
    2) 15 minutes walk
    3) Walking
    4) 20 quid a month? Not sure to be honest, we all put 100 quid in a separate bank account and the bills got paid out of there, then when money got low, we all put the money in again
    5) 30 quid a month, split between housemates
    6) Really no point getting a communal phone, my mobile is 30 quid a month.

No tax until you're earning over 6k a year (very unlikely). How are you able to live in halls for the first couple of months? Not sure I ever heard of anyone being able to do that. Meh. Renting on your own would be WAY more expensive than living in halls.

hwy, thanx for the reply! very useful! btw, where do you live..i mean which city? and with how many people do you share? sorry, m asking a lot of questions but i have to plan everything and give my parents a list of my expenses since they are going to pay for everything.

ReputationRep:
    1) How much is your rent - £107 a week
    2) How far do you live from the university - 2minutes
    3) How much do you spend travelling to and from uni and by which method (bus,tube,etc) - each term £20 there and back
    4) How much do you spend on gas, water and electricity - included in rent
    5) And, what about the internet? How much do you spend on it - included in rent
    6) Phone bill - use skype, mobile bill is not paid by me =)

for Aston, BHAM (going to be starting this year)

ReputationRep:
    1) £66/week, which is average for MCR and cheap for UK generally
    2) About a 15 minute bus ride, but I live in the student village and will be living there next year so it's not really "far out", it's where all the students live.
    3) I buy a yearly pass at £140
    4) We're going to put £100 in a joint account each time we get loan installment, see how that goes.
    5) I'm including that in my bills
    6) We won't have a house phone, god knows how much I spend on my mobile. Too much.

Other than rent/bills, I probably spend about £50/60 a week on food and going out.

I don't think living privately is really going to be any cheaper than halls, tbh, and it'll be so much more hassle especially if you're coming to a new country. You don't have to deal with finding flatmates, and sorting out bills, dealing with UK companies and stuff whilst still trying to adjust. You'd probably have to pay some sort of fee to cancel your hall contract mid-year anyway. I'd really recommend staying in halls for your first year, especially as an international.

Btw, if you're going to be living in London or Edinburgh or Glasgow, or somewhere like that - don't take my weekly rent as indicative of what you'd be paying for a similar property (i.e. a quite nice house). It would be much more expensive - Manchester is pretty cheap as a city. Comparing my rents with friends' rents in London, Glasgow, Oxford etc., mine is by far the cheapest and I seem to have the biggest property as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thug05)
    1) How much is your rent - £107 a week
    2) How far do you live from the university - 2minutes
    3) How much do you spend travelling to and from uni and by which method (bus,tube,etc) - each term £20 there and back
    4) How much do you spend on gas, water and electricity - included in rent
    5) And, what about the internet? How much do you spend on it - included in rent
    6) Phone bill - use skype, mobile bill is not paid by me =)

for Aston, BHAM (going to be starting this year)
    i googled skype and found out that its blocked here! F***, i hate this country!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms_Flames)
    hwy, thanx for the reply! very useful! btw, where do you live..i mean which city? and with how many people do you share? sorry, m asking a lot of questions but i have to plan everything and give my parents a list of my expenses since they are going to pay for everything.
    I live in York; in my second year i shared with 4 other people and my third I shared just with my girlfriend. :yes:

Also, I'm going to be studying in London this year, and just to demonstrate how different the prices can be, my rent will be 500 a month, living with 2 other people 20 minutes walk from where i'm studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms_Flames)
    (Warning - Slightly boring!)
    Anyways, i think ill live in halls for the first couple of months or so to get familiar with the place but dont think i can afford it after that..its expensive!
    If this is your plan, then read the contract very, very carefully before agreeing to it. It's entirely possible that you simply won't be able to do this, or not without finding a replacement tenant and/or paying a hefty fee.

Whereabouts in the country will you be studying?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.