Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    What do people do about getting internet in their rented house/flat? I dont know whether to get a new router or one of those plug into the laptop things where you just top up monthly e.g £10 for 1GB or £25 for 5GB. Please help cos i dont have a clue.

    the 'plug in laptop thing' is known as mobile broadband.

    as a student, i would not recommend this.
    iplayer, downloading music etc are all bandwidth heavy, and you may find yourself with huge bills.

    i would go for either ADSL or cable, depending on where you live.
    you will probably get a free router chucked in when you join

    find out how many are in your house, and how much everyone is willing to pay per month

    I would recommend getting a 12 month package, which includes a wireless router. Check out some broadband comparison websites for a deal that bests suits you (don't forget to check download limits). If you're computer doesn't have wireless capabilities, you can either buy a really long cable and just plug it in, or get a 'USB dongle' which will give you wireless.


students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Who is going to be the top scorer of the World Cup in 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.