Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What do people do about getting internet in their rented house/flat? I dont know whether to get a new router or one of those plug into the laptop things where you just top up monthly e.g £10 for 1GB or £25 for 5GB. Please help cos i dont have a clue.

ReputationRep:
    the 'plug in laptop thing' is known as mobile broadband.

as a student, i would not recommend this.
    iplayer, downloading music etc are all bandwidth heavy, and you may find yourself with huge bills.

i would go for either ADSL or cable, depending on where you live.
    you will probably get a free router chucked in when you join

find out how many are in your house, and how much everyone is willing to pay per month

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend getting a 12 month package, which includes a wireless router. Check out some broadband comparison websites for a deal that bests suits you (don't forget to check download limits). If you're computer doesn't have wireless capabilities, you can either buy a really long cable and just plug it in, or get a 'USB dongle' which will give you wireless.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.