Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Strange question about bragging rights. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok I am what most people think or assume is a dull person, I like drinking but dont go out much these days and worry about how much im spending.

Despite liking travelling when I get somewhere I cant relax because its not home.

Anyway I was talking to a student who is a friend of a friend and she was telling me how she loves to go clubbing and how she went hillwalking in the Scottish Highlands, she has just come back from a big music festival and how shes thinking of taking a year out before coming back to do honours.

I started mentioning that a few years ago I hitchhiked through most of Europe and walked for as much as 100 miles a time and slept rough as I had little cash and she acted kinda like I was either lying or just a bore and it wasnt any fun.

My sort of question is what is determined to be ok to talk about or be proud of sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure, but from my experience, people generally don't like dull, boring people who spend their whole life trying to achieve loads for the sake of it, then having that as the only point of conversation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Not sure, but from my experience, people generally don't like dull, boring people who spend their whole life trying to achieve loads for the sake of it, then having that as the only point of conversation.
    I think possibly thats why because people assume I'm dull as I dont rave every night or want masses of attention from people at uni, in the street whatever.

It seems that these people assume that doing things like drinking to excess, going to trips to places like Amsterdam or Europe and hillwalking is just part of young peoples lives and unless you want to do it all the time you are dull and boring.

It sort of brings up the question to me that what is dull and boring are you dull just to talk about certain things and not all the time but can have a good conversation about it or are you not dull if you are the life of the party all the time but speak so much junk.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.