Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Killers- All These Things That I've Done watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who knows this song, what do you think it is about?

And mainly the line, 'Got soul but I'm not soldier.' What do you think it really means?

I have a few of my own ideas and I know that it all depends on personal interpretation, just like poerty, which this essentially is.

Listen to it on youtube to get a real feel for it.
    And you could read the lyrics via:
    http://www.elyrics.net/read/k/killer...ne-lyrics.html

ReputationRep:
    I've always been unsure of the meaning, but it's a brilliant song nonetheless. In fact the entire 'Hot Fuss' album is brilliant, shame about the last two

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen the Bill Bailey sketch on his interpretations about this? 'I've got ham but I'm not a hamster....'

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm.. I know. Its not as obvious as some of their other songs.

However, on the discussion page of wiki:
    Brandon Flowers grew up in Utah and is a Mormon, or a member of The Church of Jesus christ of Latter-Day Saints. He wrote this song to describe his experience in the church and how he went back and forth between being inactive and active in it, but he always had a desire to stay in the church and do what was right, but didn't always feel that he could. Such lines as "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier" are examples. He also gives pleas for exceptance such as, "When there's no where else to run, is there room for one more son" and "You've got to help me out, Oh don't you put me on the backburner now you've got to help me out"

My favourite from that album is Glamorous indie rock n roll. LOVE IT!! I wouldn't say 'shame' about the last two, still good just not as good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BittersweetSymphony)
    Have you seen the Bill Bailey sketch on his interpretations about this? 'I've got ham but I'm not a hamster....'
    I have!!
    Hilarious.

I am thinking of getting the killers one as a tattoo. (Dont comment:rolleyes: ) but that was a close competitor.

ReputationRep:
    I saw these live :love:

It's like in Human - 'Are we human, or are we dancer?'

Why dancer? That doesn't make senseeee :confused:

Still a good song though

ReputationRep:
    It's one of their songs that I've never given *that* much thought to (as opposed to some of their other songs) but I kinda take it as someone reminiscing on the wrong turns in life they've taken and how they got through.

'I got soul, but I'm not a soldier' is to me saying that the singer has belief in a cause/causes but doesn't act out on them.

ReputationRep:
    tbh I think they just put down whatever they think of and sounds quite pretentious tbh, not sure if it means anything. do like the song though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koopa_coffee)
    I've always been unsure of the meaning, but it's a brilliant song nonetheless. In fact the entire 'Hot Fuss' album is brilliant, shame about the last two
    I loved sam's town - much deeper lyrics but less catchy than Fuss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dymphna)

Still a good song though
    Dancer is the correct plural in that sentance, it comes from a famous quote from some American dude.

Basically - You can say 'we are dancers' if you're talking about people who dance, but if you're talking about say, a race or identity of people, you use the singular as the plural. I think.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely incredible to see this song live, I was at the front with Brandon Flowers ahead of me and thousands behind all singing 'I've got soul but I'm not a soldier'. Incidently it was repeated on the walk back to the campsite and a guy shouted 'I've got a badge but I;m not a badger' which I liked!

I kind of agree with what i_am_TERRIfic said was posted. It does seem like an acceptance thing and in BF's case religion could be about right. To me it could be any person questioning their worth in the world. I love the line 'I need direction to perfection'. It just has so much resonance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allthewayhome)
    I loved sam's town - much deeper lyrics but less catchy than Fuss.
    By last two I meant Day & Age, and Sawdust (technically not an actual album....)

Sam's Town has its moments but for me it just lacked the excitement and originality that Hot Fuss had when it was first released.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enoughs Koopa -

The killers version of Shadowplay is feckin' quality though.

Love spaceman and this is your life the best from day & age

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dymphna)

Still a good song though
    Ahh brilliant me and my brother saw it live, the crowd were so funny when they started singing with him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Dancer is the correct plural in that sentance, it comes from a famous quote from some American dude.

Basically - You can say 'we are dancers' if you're talking about people who dance, but if you're talking about say, a race or identity of people, you use the singular as the plural. I think.
    Even if it was grammatically correct, doesn't make it a good lyric. And it's a Hunter S. Thompson Quote about America "raising a nation of dancers" or something. Quote or not it's still a bit crap though, you must admit.

And I used to think the lyrics to All These Things I've Done were deep and meaningful and now they just seem a bit silly to me. It's obviously about wanting to be remembered. But a lot of the lyrics seem like memorable but meaningless lines to me.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe its about Conscientious objectors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    It's one of their songs that I've never given *that* much thought to (as opposed to some of their other songs) but I kinda take it as someone reminiscing on the wrong turns in life they've taken and how they got through.

'I got soul, but I'm not a soldier' is to me saying that the singer has belief in a cause/causes but doesn't act out on them.
    yeah this is what i think when i hear the lyric.

I love hot fuss it's definitely one of my favourite albums ever!
    i love all the songs, mr brightside used to be my favourite song but it's been so incredibly over-played that i think i would say jenny was a friend of mine now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BittersweetSymphony)
    Ahh brilliant me and my brother saw it live, the crowd were so funny when they started singing with him
    Haha, we were so lucky to be where we were - we had standing tickets and we got about 10m from the front without that much trouble. Everyone when crazy when Mr. Brightside came on

But the night was a little worrying when we were pretty sure there were some guys next to us with a bottle of piss. I can handle beer etc, but piss. No. *******. Way.

ReputationRep:
    Hot Fuss took some time to grow on me, I don't own Sams Town, Sawdust is good for a demi-album :p: but I absolutly love Day and Age, I can't think of a song that I don't like - absolute favourites are Spaceman and Neon Tiger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_am_TERRIfic)
    My favourite from that album is Glamorous indie rock n roll. LOVE IT!! I wouldn't say 'shame' about the last two, still good just not as good.
    i loooove that song too ... and the killers ... although i have to agree, last two albums werent that amazing anymore, still, i <3 the killers

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.