Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you love your bf/gf more than you love close members of your family? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you love your bf/gf more than you love close members of your family?
    I am a male - yes
    23.53%
    I am a male - no
    22.79%
    I am a female - yes
    22.06%
    I am a female - no
    31.62%

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a morbid question... but family first. Blood is thicker than water always.

Anyone saying their boyfriend or girlfriend (who doesn't have ***** for parents or siblings) I'm inclined to think you've been brainwashed by movies and TV (e.g. Twilight). Having a romantic relationship isn't actually the only relationship which can make you happy and of course you could 'function' without them. That sounds incredibly pathetic.

If you really feel that attached I'd suggest you spend more time with friends and family because if your partner dumps you where would it leave you?

ReputationRep:
    this is kinda hard! It's different kind of love we're talking about...

I miss my botfriend badly when i dont see him for just a few days. I never miss my family. But thinking about one of my family members die makes me cry, espicially my parents! I've known them since the day i was born, so there will be a bond there that is stronger than the one between me and my bf. So i choosed the last answer.

But i dont want to think of any of them leaving me forever. It's very sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psycho0101)
    I find some of the posts here hilarious. They talk about how they can't live without "the love of their life" when the chances are that they will break up within the next year. :rolleyes:
    I agree.

Most people here are still young. Unless you have a really messed up family, I think it completely wrong to be so 'in love' with some guy/girl.

I find that people who are so obsessed with their partner tend to just forget about their friends and when it's all over they're left with nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much yeah, although that's mainly because my parents' divorce really hurt my relationship with them.

ReputationRep:
    i don't see how anyone, especially at our age, could put their boyfriend/girlfriend before their family, who've brought them up / done everything for them. relationships break up all the time and people think they're in love a thousand times when they're younger, are you going to put a thousand different boys / girls before your parents who've always been there for you? i love my family way more than i could love anybody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Family for sure!...I never got why some people put their bf/gf over their family :dontknow:
    I suppose it depends on the situation - we choose our partner but not our family, therefore it's not unlikely that we'll have a better relationship with them, and possibly love them more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cats_have_teats)
    Bit of a morbid question... but family first. Blood is thicker than water always.
    No, no not always.Nothing is always true. How about Josef Fritzl's daughter? And all children who have been physically/mentally/psychologically abused by parents or family members. Most people are fortunate to have loving caring family, but a few people just don't deserve to be parents.

(Original post by Abhead)
    I have several family members who married in their teens and are still together, it does happen. I've had boyfriends in the past who I loved being with at the time but I didn't seriously see us toether in the long term. With my current boyfriend it is completely different though, we both see ourselves being together forever, I'm not deluded it just feels completely different.
    me too - I love my dad (never know my mum) but I also love my fiancé, and I don't particularly want to order them by how 'much' i love them, but my fiancé is who i have chosen to be my partner in my life, so if it came down to it, i'd choose him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    I suppose it depends on the situation - we choose our partner but not our family, therefore it's not unlikely that we'll have a better relationship with them, and possibly love them more.
    Right, but how would you feel if your daughter, who you've nurtured for 18 years loved her bf of 2 years more than you?...I dunno, unless its like my wife or something. My family have always been there..and they will continue to be there. Wheres you never know what will happen to a bf/gf..
    Of course there will be exceptions...but that goes for gfs/bfs as well

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have a good relationship with my parents, and I've been with my boyfriend a few years, so I'd probably choose him over them. Though I'd choose my sister over him.

ReputationRep:
    No, no not always.Nothing is always true. How about Josef Fritzl's daughter? And all children who have been physically/mentally/psychologically abused by parents or family members. Most people are fortunate to have loving caring family, but a few people just don't deserve to be parents.

Well I actually meant always in my case. But point taken

ReputationRep:
    Mothers love = unconditional

Hell, I'd prefer my best mate over anything but my fiancee if I had one (and for a girl to be my fiancee she'd have to be my best mate).

Bloods thicker than water
    and Bros before hoes.

So yeah, tbh, a girlfriend is near the bottom of the pecking order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)

Hell, I'd prefer my best mate over anything but my fiancee if I had one (and for a firl to be my fiancee she'd have to be my best mate).

and Bros before hoes.

The perfect answer IMO.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get how people can love their boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife more than their family...it's like those awful parents who say they love each other more than their children. I can't imagine ever loving anyone as much as my mum, dad and brothers - even when I have children I don't think I'll love them more than my own parents and brothers, just in a different, maternal way. I'd certainly never pick a boy over my family, I love them more than anything.

ReputationRep:
    Right, but how would you feel if your daughter, who you've nurtured for 18 years loved her bf of 2 years more than you?...I dunno, unless its like my wife or something. My family have always been there..and they will continue to be there. Wheres you never know what will happen to a bf/gf..
    Of course there will be exceptions...but that goes for gfs/bfs as well
    I would be really glad and grateful that my child had found someone good in this world, and someone that makes her that happy. And if she was 18, i would be over the moon that she had found someone she wanted to be with in the future, so young.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)

Hell, I'd prefer my best mate over anything but my fiancee if I had one (and for a girl to be my fiancee she'd have to be my best mate).

and Bros before hoes.

Not always. (as above)

(Original post by Princessariadne)
    How about Josef Fritzl's daughter? And all children who have been physically/mentally/psychologically abused by parents or family members. Most people are fortunate to have loving caring family, but a few people just don't deserve to be parents

ReputationRep:
    My 'family' got me beaten up, and nearly killed ... I choose my gf.

ReputationRep:
    I would be really glad and grateful that my child had found someone good in this world, and someone that makes her that happy. And if she was 18, i would be over the moon that she had found someone she wanted to be with in the future, so young.
    Mhm, I guess you're right there. But then, what would happen if your intuition didnt warm up to the guy?..

ReputationRep:
    My husband and I have been married for 4 years, and together for nearly 2 years before that, but I'm not sure I could say i love him 'more', just differently to my close family. to answer the OP's questions, I would be more upset if I lost him than say, my mum, but only because I have only just met him, as opposed to having a whole lifetime with my family, and also I chose him, as it were, 'found him', so it would be more tragic to lose that.

ReputationRep:
    Mhm, I guess you're right there. But then, what would happen if your intuition didnt warm up to the guy?..
    If there was an actual valid reason (eg he was a drug addict/cheated on my daughter/abused her) then I would talk to her about it, and see where that went. But I would choose my daughter over my own personal opinion of someone everytime: if I didn't like him, and she was set on staying with him, I'd support her and be nice to him.
    I believe children and then young adults need to be allowed to make their own choices and mistakes, or else they will never learn, and also they will resent parental interference, and I want my children to be independent and happy, over 'obedient to mummy and daddy' or anything like that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.