Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you love your bf/gf more than you love close members of your family? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you love your bf/gf more than you love close members of your family?
    I am a male - yes
    23.53%
    I am a male - no
    22.79%
    I am a female - yes
    22.06%
    I am a female - no
    31.62%

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at all close to my family, so my boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    I know some people feel their partners are their best friends, but my mum is. It's hard to say, really, because (thankfully) they fill very different roles in my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    If there was an actual valid reason (eg he was a drug addict/cheated on my daughter/abused her) then I would talk to her about it, and see where that went. But I would choose my daughter over my own personal opinion of someone everytime: if I didn't like him, and she was set on staying with him, I'd support her and be nice to him.
    I believe children and then young adults need to be allowed to make their own choices and mistakes, or else they will never learn, and also they will resent parental interference, and I want my children to be independent and happy, over 'obedient to mummy and daddy' or anything like that.
    Fair enough. But you are also there to guide them right? Or, do you plan to do the majority of your mothering while they're still young, and then when they get older, they should sorta..be mature enough to make the right decisions?..and if they make the wrong decision, they should be able to learn from it sorta thing? And you'd be there just in case they needed someone to talk to..something like this?

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in this undconditional love that should be given to family members, i've been betrayed by both my parents at some point in my life. My girlfriend has never betrayed me. Seems simple to my apparently simple mind.

But on her side. Her family comes before me.

ReputationRep:
    LMFAO

A bunch of 18 year olds trying to sound poetic about how their boyfriends and girlfriends are their "lives and souls", and how they "can't live without them".

Almost guaranteed your relationship will end within the next couple of years.

Your family is for life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justkillingtime)
    Your family is for life.
    Harsh, but I would have to say it is true.

It's hard to compare as lvoing a boyfriend or Girlfriend is VERY different from loving family, but for me, Family comes first.
    Or maybe not neccesarily family, but my mum is my best friend, and my world really - I don't know what I would do without her. I don't think any man could fill her position no matter how they tried.

So family first for me (:

ReputationRep:
    My family wins, every single time. + I'm not in love with my boyfriend, I only love him. Which in my mind are two different things.

I cannot not imagine my life without my parents or my brother or sister.
    If I lost them I don't think I could live.
    If I even lost my brother I think I would die right there on the spot where I was told, he's like my twin only with a 7 year age gap.

Boyfriends come and go but your family is there forever.

I think my sister does. It's her first serious relationship and they've been together for a few years. She admitted she was afraid there would be nobody else for her, I told her she was stupid and she started to cry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justkillingtime)
    LMFAO

A bunch of 18 year olds trying to sound poetic about how their boyfriends and girlfriends are their "lives and souls", and how they "can't live without them".

Your family is for life.
    I don't understand why people seem to think it is impossible for people to get together young and stay together forever. I have quite a few aunties and uncles who got together in their teens and stayed together, not to mention my grandparents. My mum has a friend who has been with her husband since they were 14, and my cousin has been with her bf 7 years, since they were 16.

Also, not everyone has a good relationship with their family.

ReputationRep:
    My dad will always come first!! The only man in life you can trust is your daddy lol. But yeah i love my bf but men come and go. Altough i would put him before the rest of my family (hardly even talk to them lol so not really a good example). I've been with my bf for 6 years and have a child with him but my dad is still wayyy more important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Fair enough. But you are also there to guide them right? Or, do you plan to do the majority of your mothering while they're still young, and then when they get older, they should sorta..be mature enough to make the right decisions?..and if they make the wrong decision, they should be able to learn from it sorta thing? And you'd be there just in case they needed someone to talk to..something like this?
    yes, definitely: that's what i mean. I see a parents' role as supporting, teaching, nurturing and caring, not controlling or creating a person who is exactly how you want them to be. I plan to do 'the majority of mothering' throughout their lives: when they are young I will help them learn and mature at a sensible rate, and when they are older and need me slightly less, I will be there whenever they do need me, and will always make sure they know I love them.

And the bit in bold - yes, this. Except when they do make a wrong choice, I will be there to help them get over it/learn from it.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is my family - we've been together a long time, live together, and we're not kids (24. 25). At some point your other half becomes your family. And as such I love him more, because he's the family I got to choose. I love some members of my family, but not all of them, and I don't see them every day, or share good times and bad with them. So I would choose him everytime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickeyfit)
    My boyfriend is my family - we've been together a long time, live together, and we're not kids (24. 25). At some point your other half becomes your family. And as such I love him more, because he's the family I got to choose. I love some members of my family, but not all of them, and I don't see them every day, or share good times and bad with them. So I would choose him everytime.
    This exactly.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds so bad but I love my Ex more than my family. He has hurt me so much and at this moment is refusing to speak to me after an arguement last week... but if i had to pick i would chose him each time...

I wish it wasnt like that ... and i wish i didnt love him so much ... but i do and i cant change that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireAndIce)
    This sounds so bad but I love my Ex more than my family. He has hurt me so much and at this moment is refusing to speak to me after an arguement last week... but if i had to pick i would chose him each time...

I wish it wasnt like that ... and i wish i didnt love him so much ... but i do and i cant change that...
    Hun, don't feel guilty for the way you feel. That is one thing you cannot control, and you just need to feel it, and hopefully get over it soon, or maybe even get back with your ex

ReputationRep:
    Other than my mum my fiance is the most important person in my life followed by my brother

ReputationRep:
    Wow this poll has suprised me so much. I find it hard to believe that people could love someone who they could split up with or whatever over family who are always there for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boom Boom Pow)
    Wow this poll has suprised me so much. I find it hard to believe that people could love someone who they could split up with or whatever over family who are always there for you.
    Some people's family's aren't always there for them.

And for that matter, some partners are the ones you will never split up with.

And also, 'someone who they could split up with' counts for relatives as well as partners.

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible to choose as I love them in completely different ways. I couldn't function without either my boyfriend or family. After three years my boyfriend is definitely equal with my family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deanna19)
    My family wins, every single time. + I'm not in love with my boyfriend, I only love him. Which in my mind are two different things.

I cannot not imagine my life without my parents or my brother or sister.
    If I lost them I don't think I could live.
    If I even lost my brother I think I would die right there on the spot where I was told, he's like my twin only with a 7 year age gap.

Boyfriends come and go but your family is there forever.
    I completely agree.
    Family is there forever, even though you might not always think so.
    Boyfriends or Girlfriends, and even husbands or wives are changeable.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.