Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you love your bf/gf more than you love close members of your family? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you love your bf/gf more than you love close members of your family?
    I am a male - yes
    23.53%
    I am a male - no
    22.79%
    I am a female - yes
    22.06%
    I am a female - no
    31.62%

ReputationRep:
    I love them in different ways, I wouldn't like to choose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickeyfit)
    My boyfriend is my family - we've been together a long time, live together, and we're not kids (24. 25). At some point your other half becomes your family. And as such I love him more, because he's the family I got to choose. I love some members of my family, but not all of them, and I don't see them every day, or share good times and bad with them. So I would choose him everytime.
    Oh bingo, bullseye!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpatb)
    I completely agree.
    Family is there forever, even though you might not always think so.
    Boyfriends or Girlfriends, and even husbands or wives are changeable.
    Family is also changeable - when you're growing up, they are your world, but when you're older you would only want to stay in a realationship with them if it was benefiting everyone (eg not if they are abusing you/making your life miserable) at which point your family becomes who you choose it to be (eg as someone so wisely said, there's a point where a partner/husband/wife becomes your family).

ReputationRep:
    Its a different kind of love, I dont rate my family or my bf in order of priority?

ReputationRep:
    I get on pretty good with my family and love them but at the same time, they're not part of my life and I can't see that happening ever again. If I was at home we'd be closer and see each other a lot. But as I'll probably only see them 2/3 times a year for the foreseeable future, I would say bf.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmmmm difficult... i would think my bf was more important.. but yeah.. its about the same for both really.

ReputationRep:
    erm my direct familyy like mum dad and brother i obviously care about the most. although i do care about my boyfriend more than nan, grandad, aunty etc but then they arent a huge part of my life anyway so its not saying too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justkillingtime)
    LMFAO

A bunch of 18 year olds trying to sound poetic about how their boyfriends and girlfriends are their "lives and souls", and how they "can't live without them".

Almost guaranteed your relationship will end within the next couple of years.

Your family is for life.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bludclotzz)
    lol
    and so wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    and so wrong
    Well, where im from, its very very rare to not like your family..

ReputationRep:
    Well, where im from, its very very rare to not like your family..
    I didn't know it went in regions :p: You're lucky anyway: there are some people whose families aren't 'for life'.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know it went in regions :p: You're lucky anyway: there are some people whose families aren't 'for life'.
    well we lived in a kinda gated community with the whole family, probably 100+......african families are pretty big

ReputationRep:
    well we lived in a kinda gated community with the whole family, probably 100+......african families are pretty big
    Wow, that must be amazing to have your family so close.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that must be amazing to have your family so close.
    lol yeah going there in august :cool:

ReputationRep:
    family will always be there for you
    boyfriend ? not sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiichands)
    family will always be there for you
    boyfriend ? not sure
    Not always - some people's family will, while other peoples won't. Also, there's a point where a partner/spouse becomes your family.

ReputationRep:
    My family. They have put up with me through so much, things that my boyfriend could never understand. Family means being loved unconditionally. I love my boyfriend so much, but I know he'd choose his family over me too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahlou27)
    My family. They have put up with me through so much, things that my boyfriend could never understand. Family means being loved unconditionally. I love my boyfriend so much, but I know he'd choose his family over me too.
    This. I think it's such a wise thing to say, and spot on:yes: . 'Blood relations' are usually, but not always someone's 'family', and people such as close friends/adopted parents/spouses are often also 'family'.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.