Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Guardian or The Times? Watch

• View Poll Results: The Guardian or The Times?
    The Guardian
    51.85%
    The Times
    48.15%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    The Guardian? :unsure:

You dirty commie!! :fyi:

I read the financial times :hat: I like the fact that because it is primarily concerned with money, it will always contain only the most important news, which saves me from sifting through all the crap about big brother and turtle aids.

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian

ReputationRep:
    I've always preferred reading The Times. Plus the website is very good.

ReputationRep:
    Sunday Times is rubbish though, none of the stories have any real meat in them. They're all hyped up to be briliant on a Sunday. Better off with the Observer there.

(Original post by Aeolus)
    You dirty commie!! :fyi:

I read the financial times :hat: I like the fact that because it is primarily concerned with money, it will always contain the most important news, which saves me from sifting through all the crap about big brother and turtle aids.
    :rofl: I'm far, far too libertarian to be a communist :awesome:

I got the Economist for that reason, but its neo liberal bent always manages to annoy me after a few pages :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Neither :awesome:
    I get the Independent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invert)
    The Guardian; I agree, generally, with its angle, and find it has a more interesting slant. Plus I am not a tremendous fan of Rupert Murdoch's formidable empire-building in the media, so the Times and Telegraph leave me a little disturbed.

Murdoch doesn't own the Telegraph, the Barcly bro's do

ReputationRep:
    why u people trying to sound intelligent cos u read high brow newspapers ?

you aren't

ReputationRep:
    Personally I find the Times a better newspaper as a whole. The Sunday Times usually takes up my sunday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bludclotzz)
    why u people trying to sound intelligent cos u read high brow newspapers ?

you aren't
    We're merely stating what papers we read. Your preconceptions are inaccurate.

ReputationRep:
    The Times.

ReputationRep:
    I like the format of the Guardian the best.

Beyond that it's all the same to me.

But also there just seems to be more articles in the Guardian that interest me. And the Times reads a little like a tabloid to me.

ReputationRep:
    Times: just seems like a more reliable newspaper. That and I hate the awkward size of the Guardian.

ReputationRep:
    The Times - better rugby reporting.

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian by far, not such a big fan of Murdoch's empire...

ReputationRep:
    I had the misfortune of reading The Guardian once.

Was riddled with errors and spelling mistakes, they couldn't even get the picture of my friend right when he was interviewed.

The Times is your best bet.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather not fund Rupert Murdoch's empire, so the Guardian it is.

Generally on the whole I don't bother with newspapers why would I want yesterdays news today? I want up to date news, not stuff written the day before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    The Guardian.

Especially on Saturdays.
    Aye the Saturday Guardian is by far and away my favourite newspaper.

The guardian isnt fit to wipe my bottom with.

The telegraph any day of the week thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Monday - Guardian (media supplement)
    Tuesday - Guardian (education supplement)
    Thursday - Guardian (technology supplement)
    Saturday - Guardian (unless the Times, or another newspaper catches my eye then I will get the Guardian as it is the most substantial)
    Sunday - Sunday Times (Style magazine and travel section)

I used to buy newspapers religiously but since subscribing to the Guardian Weekly it seems rather pointless, especially given how good the Guardian website is. I tend to read news websites in the following order: BBC, Guardian, Independent, Times, Telegraph and then Times Higher Education.

The Times have better business, sports and travel writers but for some reason I am drawn to the Guardian.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.