Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Guardian or The Times? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: The Guardian or The Times?
    The Guardian
    51.85%
    The Times
    48.15%

ReputationRep:
    Guardian/Independent. Don't pay though - visit the library for all my newspaper and magazine needs. Get to read Time, the New Scientist, TES, the Economist... for free. That's the win.

ReputationRep:
    haha, exactly 50/50 after 116 votes. Nice

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the times I agree with it more, plus the guardian has a sort of anti British bias in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    Why compare those two? Surely it would be better to compare the Guardian to the Daily Telegraph, and the Independant to the Times?
    Why so?

(Original post by tom_pinnock54)
    However, three years of Journalism taught me not to read any of them.
    Why so?

(Original post by RockyRiaStone)
    Guardian
    bcz i have been in one of their articles
    OoooOoh, tell, tell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Cool)
    Why so?
    Because the Times and the independent are both in a "compact" format. The times being a right of centre paper, whilst the independent being a left of centre paper. It just seems like the obvious two to compare. But maybe that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    Both are newspapers with international recognition but I find the Times lack a bit of political bias (which really should be a good characteristic). It's supposed to be slightly right-wing but I've never really sensed it in the way that you do with the Telegraph.

I prefer the take that the Guardian and Independent have on the news.

ReputationRep:
    It's a tough one but I have to go with the Guardian, even so it can be so ostentatious sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, completely 50 - 50 as of now. Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, at this second it's exactly 50:50; 66 votes each.

ReputationRep:
    Times is really hard to read sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    Wow, at this second it's exactly 50:50; 66 votes each.
    I changed it. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UNICO)
    I changed it. :cool:
    The wrong way! Why, damn you Sir!

Or Madam.

ReputationRep:
    The Times. I'm about as liberal as they come yet The Guardian's condescending biased slant drives me up the wall. It does have some good columnists though, so I use their website solely for that purpose.

(Original post by foxo)
    The Times. I'm about as liberal as they come yet The Guardian's condescending biased slant drives me up the wall. It does have some good columnists though, so I use their website solely for that purpose.
    Isn't the times recently anti establishment? Regardless of the establishment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Isn't the times recently anti establishment? Regardless of the establishment?
    Not that I've noticed. In its reporting, I find it's the least biased newspaper. It has a pretty varied mixture of columnists too.

I get a lovely warm feeling inside when I buy The Times - it's akin to that first sip of Lucozade when you have a hangover.

ReputationRep:
    Saturday Guardian is pretty sexy yeah.

The Guide is the only newspaper supplement to keep up with funny internet memes, not report them 6 months after they stopped being funny.

ReputationRep:
    Out of those to The Times is way better, The Guardian leaves me a bit patronised... :cry:

But The Economist + FT Weekend = Win

ReputationRep:
    times monday to thursday. guardian on friday and saturday. just feels right that way. like eating your main meal before the dessert.

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian, because it makes me do this :awesome:
    x

ReputationRep:
    the Times all the wayy!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.