Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Guardian or The Times? Watch

• View Poll Results: The Guardian or The Times?
    The Guardian
    51.85%
    The Times
    48.15%

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read the times much, but never been grabbed by anything. The Sunday Times, although it has several good writers of note (Clarkson, Rod Liddle, AA Gill) is essentially a tabloid newspaper in the way it presents news, masquerading as a broadsheet.

I read something earlier in this thread about The Guardian being "New Labour's cheerleader". This is the newspaper whose staff writer (Polly Toynbee) caused New Labour to backpedal on policy because of excessive criticism...hardly a a cheerleading metaphor...

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian, because the editorials in the Times frequently annoy me with their ignorance. Having said that, Polly Toynbee irritates me also; but that's just one person! The supplements in the Guardian are better also, especially the Guide. (Charlie Brooker :o: )

ReputationRep:
    i cant be arsed reading them lol
    i love the sun

ReputationRep:
    Don't like the Guardian's broadsheet format (shallow, I know!). I've read it a few times and it seems to me that there is little actual news, it's more opinions? Though having said that, I suppose online and radio/tv are more for news, so it balances out. Doubt I'll get either when I leave home and have to buy my own!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Cool)
    Why so?

Why so?

OoooOoh, tell, tell!
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...search.schools :yes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The Times.

It's a quality newspaper, isn't centre-left biased, isn't the mouthpiece for a political party, and more importantly, covers a broad range of news articles and the comment pieces and leading articles are thought-provoking and ask serious policy/debate questions.

Really, it is the ideal paper. Though, I do supplement it with The Economist as well as The Financial Times. I used to have The Business in the mix, but they've gone too tabloid I found.

ReputationRep:
    Guardian, I prefer its more humourous writing style and supplements and it has the best website and clearest, most readable design. I used to buy the Saturday Guardian, but now I tend to read it online through RSS and their Twitter feed. Will consider subscribing to the Guardian Weekly if i have money and time to read it properly. Read the Indy occasionally as well, and don't mind the Times, except for it being owned by Murdoch.

The Times

It's interesting and has a pretty good law section

ReputationRep:
    I tend to buy neither but I do visit the Guardians website occasionally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donald MacLeod - The Guardian, Tuesday 22 February 2005 02.04 GMT)
    The methods used at Seven Kings are being closely studied. Some of the techniques are basic, but in danger of being forgotten, such as announcing the aims of a lesson at the beginning and reviewing them at the end, says Tracy Smith, the deputy head.
    W:eek:ah. That's my area.

And bravo, madam, very impressive :clap2: :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the Guardian, more humorous and likes to make fun of itself sometimes, but The Times is alright. There are a few writers for the Times who annoy me though, Jeremy Clarkson and somebody else I can't remember the name of.

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian midweek but the Sunday Times.

The Guardian has a nice layout and good supplements, and generally just appeals more. The Sunday Times for its supplements.

ReputationRep:
    Which (if any) do you guys prefer and why? :confused:
    The PLAYBOY!!!!!!! Because it's imposible resist to these girls!!!!!:yes:

ReputationRep:
    The Times. I can't stand the Guardian, it is so liberal it does my head in.

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian. Woo.

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I feel ill at the fact there are so many The Guardian readers here. :puke:

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian baby.....

ReputationRep:
    W:eek:ah. That's my area.

And bravo, madam, very impressive :clap2: :congrats:
    Nooooooooooo way!!
    mine too:yes:
    dnt yooh jus love tsr!!!

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.