The Student Room Group

Is this guy worth being friends with?

Ok, so I know this guy from school, he was in my English class, and I made a real effort to be friends with him this year as he didn't really fit into the class. We are going to the same uni and today I spoke to him about meeting flatmates and stuff.

He thinks he's Mr. Cool, and he thinks everyone loves him when really they don't.

Please read this MSN convo and tell me whether you think I should continue my friendship with him; or is he one of those people that's just going to drag me down in life and "put me in my place."

Me: Did you find anyone in your flat?
Him: dont know
Him: havent looked
Me: Oh right.
Me: My flat mates seem really nice

Him: they are going to rape you
Me: >_>
Me: <_<
Me: What do you mean?

Him: they r going to insert themselves inside you
Me: Maybe that's what's gonna happen in your flat.
Me: lol
Me: But not mine.

Him: i hope so
Him: Haha
Me: I'm slightly worried as my flatmates look like the sort of people that go out every night.
Him: Oh well...
Me: :/
Him: o no:s-smilie: what are you going to do
Him: go out with them?
Me: Well yes, but I'll also need to actually do what we are going to do in uni in the first place which is actually spend some time studying.
Me: I do wanna get a first class honours.
Me: >_<

Him: you are too much
Him: dont know what to say to you
Me: >_>
Me: Maybe, good on you? Your actually going to do something with your life?
Me: Of course I'm gonna have fun.
Me: But uni's not about getting wasted every night.

Him: its what happens at uni fella
Him: dude
Him: yes it is
Him: grow a pair
Me: Already got a pair thanks.
Him: urrhhhh
Him: +o( (Sick Face)
Me: And anyway with the budget we'll be living on it's not like we can go out everynight anyway.
Him: ok Alfie whatever
Me: Unless you like eating baked beans?
Me: O.o

Him: i would happily spend all my budget on going out than eating
Me: Ok then.
Me: That's your choice.
Me: But I'd like to actually eat a healthy balanced diet.
Me: And I bet I'll still have enough money to go out once or twice a week.

Him: thats why you were had meningitis and glandular fever? hah
Me: Eating healthily and getting ill don't go hand in hand.
Him: fair one
Him: bless your brain?
Me: Bless my life?
Him: made no sense
Me: Neither did your comment.
Me: o.o

Him: byaa
Me: Bye
Him: ciao

So yeh I know he's not joking because he's like this all the time. After making him feel welcome in my English class he turned on me and started bullying me. And yet even after that I have still made an effort to make up with him. Maybe I should just give up now?

Thanks for any advice.
EagleHawk

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldn't be friends with either of you.
Reply 2
You seem very judgemental and, frankly, boring. Some people go to uni to have fun and enjoy the experience. You'll just have to get used to that.
Reply 3
you sound like a bit of a gimmer

he clearly doesn't think of you as a friend, and doesn't want to become better friends with you
Reply 4
He's a turd.
He sounds like a loser. "I'm going out every night" - bet he goes out once for the first few weeks and then stops.
mermania

I was thinking the same thing :rolleyes:

Ermm yh anyway it sounds like you're just two very different people. If you're going to the same Uni I don't think you have to be like best friends with him and talk to him every day as they'll be other people for you to make friends with. So don't worry about it.
Just seem abit of a tool to me, and to big for his boots. Most likely that when you get to uni you wont be that close to him or see him that often so i wouldnt worry to much about him. As long as you are yourself and friendly people wont automatically judge you on knowing him etc.
Reply 8
He sounds like a right prick. Forget about that one, mate.
mermania

agreed
Reply 10
EagleHawk
Me: That's your choice.
Me: But I'd like to actually eat a healthy balanced diet.

Deary me, don't know why I find that so hilarious :laugh:
Reply 11
sounds like a right pleb imo :P
Reply 12
Don't take this the wrong way, but neither of you come off very well in that conversation. He seemed pretty immature; uni isn't all about partying, of course. But you seemed to get on the defensive pretty quickly with 'Maybe, good on you, you're going to do something with your life?'

It is obviously admirable to have lofty aspirations and if you go to university then with the fees you pay, you should aim as high as you can. Ramming it down everyone's throats won't win you a first, however, and nor will it win you friends.

Having said that, if that guy picks on you a lot, as you say, then I can understand you getting on the offensive quickly, but try and chill out with your new flatmates!

And just because you're nice to someone for a while doesn't mean you have to be friends forever. He doesn't come across as a nice person and if he picks on you then it's time to move on. Your values seem to be completely different, in fact, it looks like you're two different kinds of people altogether.

(On another note, if your flatmates are the going-out kind, then go out with them once a week, or once a fortnight! You don't have to be joined at the hip; it's okay not to be a party animal, as long as you are nice to people they will like you anyway.)
I wouldnt bother, he doesnt sound like he wants be friends, at all.
I think you just need to get a sense of humour OP. Its just laddish banter - you dont have to take everything he says in such a completely and utterly serious way. He was clearly just winding you up because he knew you would respond like that.

But if you dont like him then trust your instincts and dont be friends with him.
Reply 15
Immature. You sound too serious...RELAX and enjoy the uni life!!!!
You two are simply not compatible when it comes to interests, attitude, beliefs and behaviour. There is no point in trying to be friends with him.
Reply 17
Seriously... that is NOT bullying you are just being way over-sensitive. Get over it.
Reply 18
He sounds like an idiot but to the people saying I wouldn't be friends with either of you.

I would be friends with OP, atleast he has some control and wants to do well in life.

The other guy only wants to get wasted and is a bit of a wasteman!

...:smile:
Reply 19
leomango
He's a guy!

My apologies.

But still well done OP...:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending