Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is this guy worth being friends with? watch

ReputationRep:
    From the sounds of it you two make crappy friends. On the plus side you would make a mediocre sitcom

ReputationRep:
    you sound like a whiny *****.
    noone can be you, despite how much we all try, and try and try.
    live your life and let him live his

ReputationRep:
    your mate sounds a ****. tell him to **** off. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    This is stupid. Do you really need a bunch of strangers to tell you whether or not to be friends with someone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EagleHawk)
    Ok, so I know this guy from school, he was in my English class, and I made a real effort to be friends with him this year as he didn't really fit into the class. We are going to the same uni and today I spoke to him about meeting flatmates and stuff.

He thinks he's Mr. Cool, and he thinks everyone loves him when really they don't.

Please read this MSN convo and tell me whether you think I should continue my friendship with him; or is he one of those people that's just going to drag me down in life and "put me in my place."

Me: Did you find anyone in your flat?
    Him: dont know
    Him: havent looked
    Me: Oh right.
    Me: My flat mates seem really nice

Him: they are going to rape you
    Me: >_>
    Me: <_<
    Me: What do you mean?

Him: they r going to insert themselves inside you
    Me: Maybe that's what's gonna happen in your flat.
    Me: lol
    Me: But not mine.

Him: i hope so
    Him: Haha
    Me: I'm slightly worried as my flatmates look like the sort of people that go out every night.
    Him: Oh well...
    Me: :/
    Him: o no what are you going to do
    Him: go out with them?
    Me: Well yes, but I'll also need to actually do what we are going to do in uni in the first place which is actually spend some time studying.
    Me: I do wanna get a first class honours.
    Me: >_<

Him: you are too much
    Him: dont know what to say to you
    Me: Maybe, good on you? Your actually going to do something with your life?
    Me: Of course I'm gonna have fun.
    Me: But uni's not about getting wasted every night.

Him: its what happens at uni fella
    Him: dude
    Him: yes it is
    Him: grow a pair
    Me: Already got a pair thanks.
    Him: urrhhhh
    Him: +o( (Sick Face)
    Me: And anyway with the budget we'll be living on it's not like we can go out everynight anyway.
    Him: ok Alfie whatever
    Me: Unless you like eating baked beans?
    Me: O.o

Him: i would happily spend all my budget on going out than eating
    Me: Ok then.
    Me: That's your choice.
    Me: But I'd like to actually eat a healthy balanced diet.
    Me: And I bet I'll still have enough money to go out once or twice a week.

Him: thats why you were had meningitis and glandular fever? hah
    Me: Eating healthily and getting ill don't go hand in hand.
    Him: fair one
    Him: bless your brain?
    Me: Bless my life?
    Him: made no sense
    Me: Neither did your comment.
    Me: o.o

Him: byaa
    Me: Bye
    Him: ciao

So yeh I know he's not joking because he's like this all the time. After making him feel welcome in my English class he turned on me and started bullying me. And yet even after that I have still made an effort to make up with him. Maybe I should just give up now?

Thanks for any advice.
    EagleHawk

Hey,
    I say let him go.. He obviously isn't trying to aspire to something great and you sound like you want to better yourself. I wanna friend like you to bounce off when I get down. I like to see people better themselves so if he is holding you back cut him out. Don't be a Paris Galler but reduce the contact you have with him. Theres no need it realli.
    btw what uni you going 2?
    peace
    Stead

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I know this guy from school, he was in my English class, and I made a real effort to be friends with him this year as he didn't really fit into the class. We are going to the same uni and today I spoke to him about meeting flatmates and stuff.

He thinks he's Mr. Cool, and he thinks everyone loves him when really they don't.

Please read this MSN convo and tell me whether you think I should continue my friendship with him; or is he one of those people that's just going to drag me down in life and "put me in my place."

Me: I'm slightly worried as my flatmates look like the sort of people that go out every night.
    Me: Well yes, but I'll also need to actually do what we are going to do in uni in the first place which is actually spend some time studying.
    Me: And anyway with the budget we'll be living on it's not like we can go out everynight anyway.

So yeh I know he's not joking because he's like this all the time. After making him feel welcome in my English class he turned on me and started bullying me. And yet even after that I have still made an effort to make up with him. Maybe I should just give up now?

Thanks for any advice.
    EagleHawk
    LOL who on earth was this?!

EDIT: I think I know :p: dw about him you two are completely different anyways. He'll probs get a 3rd or something

ReputationRep:
    i cant say youre that great either

ReputationRep:

Thanks for any advice.
    EagleHawk
    You sound intolerable. You're completely condescending to someone for wanting to spend more on alcohol than food when they're young and want to have fun. So what?

And another thing, getting a 1st isn't the be all and end all. So what if he wants to go out every night? No graduate scheme specifies that you get a 1st (most specify a 2.1), and god forbid he get a 2.2 many excellent grad level jobs will take you.

Also - shock horror - getting a first doesn't mean your better than someone with a lower class of degree. And anyway, I'm not sure that going to UWE can lecture anyone on "doing something with their life". If you'd wanted to better yourself presumably you'd have tried harder at A-level to get into a more prestigious university - as you seem to care so much about academic prestige.

ReputationRep:
    You two pretty much seem like polar opposites. So to answer your question, if you want to be friends with someone who will constantly annoy you and who in turn will be annoyed by you, go for it. But as it seems to be you making all the effort in the 'friendship', there's not really much point. He comes across as incredibly not bothered about talking to you or making any effort to have a friendly conversation that goes beyond banter. And you come across as a bit uptight, judgemental and boring in the conversation. Sorryyy.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you DO sound pretty boring.

ReputationRep:
    The guy doesn't have a clue what uni life is like and he won't until he actually gets there.
    You have a general plan, and good on you for having that.
    He, by the sounds of it, is a general loser.
    Let him think what he wants, he'll be the one you feel sorry for soon enough.

ReputationRep:
    He clearly doesn't want to know you so maybe you should learn to choose your own friends than ask the internet. Man up.

ReputationRep:
    your both funny lllooolllll

ReputationRep:
    I think you should give up. It doesn't really sound like a friendship and you will meet loads of new people at uni. Pick and choose who you want to talk to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermania)
    I wouldn't be friends with either of you.
    This. :yep:

You need a balance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hey guysch im kl)
    You sound intolerable. You're completely condescending to someone for wanting to spend more on alcohol than food when they're young and want to have fun. So what?

And another thing, getting a 1st isn't the be all and end all. So what if he wants to go out every night? No graduate scheme specifies that you get a 1st (most specify a 2.1), and god forbid he get a 2.2 many excellent grad level jobs will take you.

Also - shock horror - getting a first doesn't mean your better than someone with a lower class of degree. And anyway, I'm not sure that going to UWE can lecture anyone on "doing something with their life". If you'd wanted to better yourself presumably you'd have tried harder at A-level to get into a more prestigious university - as you seem to care so much about academic prestige.
    regardless of your comendable intentions and attempts to get a better degree result, "him" sounds like a complete gimpanzee, stay away or *****slap him if he tries to assert himself upon you, in either a homoerotic or platonic way. peas out! x

Murder his parents and feed them to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeritasAequinas)
    regardless of your comendable intentions and attempts to get a better degree result, "him" sounds like a complete gimpanzee, stay away or *****slap him if he tries to assert himself upon you, in either a homoerotic or platonic way. peas out! x
    wut

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.