Turn on thread page Beta

A quick question about different types of exercise watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    sit ups and crunches are different :ninja:

running and other cardio exercises combined with exercising using your body weight like sit ups or whatever will make your muscle lean. It wont make you bulk up at all. Cardio class could be different things but probably a mixture like you said, circuit training kinda thing...

Good for your lungs and circulatory system

ReputationRep:
    Your right, cardio club does sound gay.

The other part of exercise, if you want to call it that, and general term used for weights etc is resistance training.

There are a range of cardio workouts, swimming; running; cycling etc etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fandabidoze!)
    Hi. Sorry if this question has been answered many times before but I just wanted to clear something up.

I'm pretty sure there are two parts of exercise, one of them being cardio. Now, I know sports such as swimming and running are forms of cardio exercise but what cardio exercise do you do in a gym? I'm thinking of joining a cardio club (I know that may sound gay lol) and I want to know what I'm in for basically.

Is the other "part" of exercise called toning? Now I think I know what this involves, weights, push ups, sit ups (or abdominal crunches whatever you prefer) etc but what is the general term for those exercises?

Any (helpful) answers would be much appreciated and feel free to correct me if anything I have typed already is wrong.
    Replace the word in bold with resistance training and you have cracked it. :yep:

Toning is more the process of decreasing levels of fat and increasing levels of muscle.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.